Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possible Air Canada CSeries routes (A220)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible Air Canada CSeries routes (A220)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by lespoir
Really hope they deploy one aircraft for the YYC-IAH route. The existing CRJ is a joke.
There’s no CRJ flying YYC-IAH, the CRJ does not have the range and is incapable of flying YYC-IAH..
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:25 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw5cM7EWoAAV7TE.jpg
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by jaysona

There’s no CRJ flying YYC-IAH, the CRJ does not have the range and is incapable of flying YYC-IAH..
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:18 am

How does the Bombardier C-Series compare to the 737 Max on fuel burn? At some point the carriers will realize that there's a limit to how much you can shrink down planes for TATL/TPAC routes. Whilst I have no doubt the C-Series can cross the pond, the question is: is this something the consumer can put up with? I find the 737 Max kind of cramped during my flight to EDI from SWF a few weeks ago. Would going on an aircraft with even less space and amenities make sense? How thin is too thin for airlines?

Another pertinent question: how does the C-Series fare to prop planes and ERJ/CRJs? Could we for-see a future where flights between YXU and YYZ get up-gauged to a C-Series (here's to hoping at least!)?

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The E90 fleet is redlined for one way flight to your local desert.
Never say never! They may be with us for some time! As much as people love to rip on that aircraft at least it's not the Q400!

-James
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Having flown the C series now a few times now with Swiss and Air Baltic I can say I'd much rather fly a long flight in one than in a 737. Only one middle seat per row and it's wide and comfy. Plane is quiet and comfortable. Great product.
YUL, ridefar, shadowspar and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
Having flown the C series now a few times now with Swiss and Air Baltic I can say I'd much rather fly a long flight in one than in a 737. Only one middle seat per row and it's wide and comfy. Plane is quiet and comfortable. Great product.
With all due respect, both airlines operate that aircraft for regional routes like LCY to ZRH. It's one thing to be on a Bombardier C-Series for an hour or two. It's a whole other story to be on it for 7 hours crossing the Atlantic with a bumpy ride. That being said, if you had the opportunity (or misfortune) of flying RIX to AUH in Baltic Air on the C-Series (a 6 hour flight) then sure I'm all ears and would love to hear more!

-James
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Well, the CRJ - as a schedule code - refers to the CRJ100/200 series and this one would not have the range. The above plane would usually be referred as CR9 (or CRA previously as a 705 series) and it does have the range - hence the confusion
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by j2simpso
With all due respect, both airlines operate that aircraft for regional routes like LCY to ZRH. It's one thing to be on a Bombardier C-Series for an hour or two. It's a whole other story to be on it for 7 hours crossing the Atlantic with a bumpy ride. That being said, if you had the opportunity (or misfortune) of flying RIX to AUH in Baltic Air on the C-Series (a 6 hour flight) then sure I'm all ears and would love to hear more!

-James
I flew RIX-TLV which is 4.5 hours and was way better than any 737 or even A320/321 I have ever flown on for similar length routes which is basically TLV to anywhere North/West of Frankfurt. Have flown AF/Easyjet/KLM/LH/Eurowings on narrowbodies from TLV to Paris, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Cologne etc. and the RIX-TLV flight on Air Baltic was more comfortable than any of those.

With regard to "bumpy ride" according to an airline pilot friend of mine who switched over to them from flying Boeings, the A320 is one of the twitchiest, least stable airliners out there (321 is marginally better) and while I haven't spoken to any of the C-series pilots yet, I suspect it's more stable to fly than the 320.
YUL and Diabeetus like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Well, the CRJ - as a schedule code - refers to the CRJ100/200 series and this one would not have the range. The above plane would usually be referred as CR9 (or CRA previously as a 705 series) and it does have the range - hence the confusion
Yes fair and accurate but the poster above refers specifically to “the existing CRJ” on the YYC - IAH route which is obviously speaking to the CR9 as you mention.

So sure, technically a “CRJ” does not fly that route. Ok.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Interesting:
Calgary-Boston
Calgary-Washington
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NYTA
I've flown it on Swiss (CDG-ZRH) and I fully agree with you.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Year-round ML YHZ-YYC would be nice. I'm not flying Rouge.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
as a weekly commuter between YYZ and YOW, I have come to love the E190. Tatty for sure, and needing some TLC (please fix the power sockets - 50% are not working).

with the exception of the scheduled 767 daily (which is much about getting the crew and aircraft back to YYZ, its really E190s with the occasional uplift to a 319/320.

BUT - the flights are always full. Admittedly, wait lists include people wanting to fly earlier, but I am yet (in the peaks in particular) to have travelled on a half empty aircraft and most are full. They need to be adding capacity to YOW, not reducing it. As the rapidair (some of the pilots still refer to it on their PAs) route and one with some status serving the capital, AC need to raise standards and not drop them. Both WestJet and Porter cancel regularly on this route and can't be relied on.

I realise it's about economics, but if the A220 is the replacement for the E190 and A319, then they will surely operate it where capacity requires it regardless of whether it is operating at it's potential range or not
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jaysona
The thing to remember when participating on a public forum populated by members with varying aviation knowledge, is not to come across as contrarian when somebody doesn't type in the appropriate ICAO/IATA/NERD code for a particular aircraft.
We know the differences between CRJ vs CRA vs CR9 designations but Calgary to Houston is currently flown by the 900 series of the CRJ model whether we like it or not.

On topic, I think we in YVR will be fortunate to welcome C-Series aircraft operated by both AC and DL within a year or two.

From the original article, I don't believe this for a minute. AC is not in the business of being feel-good or charitable:
He also addressed Air Canada's decision to buy the aircraft, saying the move reflects the A220s unmatched economics and a desire to help a struggling fellow Canadian aerospace company.

"The decision to purchase the A220 was a result of an extensive network and finance-led analysis and involved many branches of our company," says Galardo. "Although it was a very sound business decision… our choice of the A220 was also based on our desire to support a national fellow aviation champion."

"We felt our order, from a major North American carrier, would be taken as a vote of confidence, and stabilise the programme," adds Galardo.

More like "we smelled the whiff of desperation, so jumped onto the opportunity to secure some better airplanes at fire-sale prices".

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
It does depend on the preferences of the senior team too. I know that a previous COO liked the A330 and kept his hours up. It always seemed a niche fleet of 8 (or however many) to marginal european routes. Now that AC are buying more, it clearly fits into their future fleet plans as well as being comfy down the back!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.