Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC vs United - is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
All of your routes are only operated non-stop by AC.

Obviously, AC is going to be a better option for you there.
On the OP's stated regular routes, yes I agree.
I believe the crux of the question revolves around the "I have a place in SFO and sometimes fly SFO to xxx on UA metal." comment.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I have a place in SFO too, but it's probably not as nice as yours.

Mine is a small, stuffy, hot, miserable lounge.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I have a place in SFO too, but it's probably not as nice as yours.

Mine is a small, stuffy, hot, miserable lounge.
Chuckle not any more you can move up to the Polaris Lounge
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:37 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mellon
Chuckle not any more you can move up to the Polaris Lounge
Polaris lounges have limited entry criteria - usually one has to be flying long-haul Polaris on UA metal. AC*G and UA tickets to places that aren't far enough away don't qualify. So unless connecting in SFO to UA TPACs, I doubt that most of us will have that option.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
So unless connecting in SFO to UA TPACs,.
Or BR, SQ, NZ, etc....
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Polaris lounges have limited entry criteria - usually one has to be flying long-haul Polaris on UA metal. AC*G and UA tickets to places that aren't far enough away don't qualify. So unless connecting in SFO to UA TPACs, I doubt that most of us will have that option.
IF the OP is in SFO, clearly he can use the lounge flying many airlines, if hes upgraded to J class. The Polaris lounge took over both SQ and EVA's lounges in SFO and its a monster of a lounge.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100, Bonvoy Platinum Elite
When flying from SFO to YYZ the only lounge is the international United lounge, only for tickets biz class. They won't allow SE's in even if on the upgrade list? Tried to go in a few months ago and they said I wasn't eligible unless ticketed for biz class.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gurka
When flying from SFO to YYZ the only lounge is the international United lounge, only for tickets biz class. They won't allow SE's in even if on the upgrade list? Tried to go in a few months ago and they said I wasn't eligible unless ticketed for biz class.
You're talking about the Polaris lounge, for which AC passengers are never eligible, regardless of cabin.

There is a United Club down by gate 98 you have access to as *G. There are 3 more United Clubs in Terminal 3 (accessible airside) that are all better than the international one.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're talking about the Polaris lounge, for which AC passengers are never eligible, regardless of cabin.
Last time I was admitted, in November, I was flying on an Aeroplan J reward ticket between AC and OZ flights. My AC-issued boarding pass displayed my Aeroplan number, not my UA MP number. Was it my winning personality that got me through the doors, or perhaps a criteria that doesn't fit with the comment above?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Last time I was admitted, in November, I was flying on an Aeroplan J reward ticket between AC and OZ flights. My AC-issued boarding pass displayed my Aeroplan number, not my UA MP number. Was it my winning personality that got me through the doors, or perhaps a criteria that doesn't fit with the comment above?
Were you connecting from an AC flight to an OZ flight, or from an OZ flight to an AC flight. If your departing flight from SFO was on OZ in business, then as far as the Polaris lounge is concerned, you are an OZ passenger, not an AC one.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Were you connecting from an AC flight to an OZ flight, or from an OZ flight to an AC flight. If your departing flight from SFO was on OZ in business, then as far as the Polaris lounge is concerned, you are an OZ passenger, not an AC one.
AC to OZ outbound to ICN. Regardless, I think the claim of "AC passengers are never eligible" is a bit misleading, as AC doesn't fly internationally from SFO or indeed any location that houses a Polaris lounge. The eligibility criteria includes international business or first class, and I believe we all understand the distinction between international and transborder in airline terms.
AC J passengers will qualify for access into the LHR Polaris lounge when it opens, and I'm absolutely certain the most fervent "AC is SO much better than UA" crowd will stampede to it at first opportunity.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
AC to OZ outbound to ICN. Regardless, I think the claim of "AC passengers are never eligible" is a bit misleading, as AC doesn't fly internationally from SFO or indeed any location that houses a Polaris lounge. The eligibility criteria includes international business or first class, and I believe we all understand the distinction between international and transborder in airline terms.
AC J passengers will qualify for access into the LHR Polaris lounge when it opens, and I'm absolutely certain the most fervent "AC is SO much better than UA" crowd will stampede to it at first opportunity.
Agreed, however I don't think CC is necessarily wrong with what he said as currently passengers departing on AC flights are ineligible for Polaris access - just depends on your definition of what constitutes an "AC passenger."
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
And as always, context is key. In this sub-thread, an AC passenger is someone departing SFO for YYZ on AC.

You can take out two of the three contextual references (departure, arrival, airline), and you're still never allowed in Polaris.

Will any AC pax be eligible for any Polaris lounge at any point in four-dimensional space? Absolutely. They were eligible in ORD at the start, and they'll be eligible in LHR, NRT, HKG, or wherever else they build lounges on other continents, once those open.

But as it stands right now. AC passengers are not allowed in Polaris lounges, but there are several other options in SFO.
arf04 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:58 pm

Context is indeed key; absolute statements would be better written with some.
YXUhomebase likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
To the OP: your comments seem to be mostly about the seating layout. Like most airlines, United has many different seating configurations on many different airplanes and you can see which aircraft you’ll be on when booking. The new “real” Polaris 787 1-2-1 seat layout is basically the same as AC Business on 787’s, but only exists on planes delivered or refurbed since last year. Otherwise you’ll have a layout picked at some point over the past 15 years or so by two different airlines, CO or UA.

SeatGuru is a helpful (if not always accurate) guide. If you don’t like a particular configuration or plane look for a different flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.