Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: When to get nervous about missing miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: When to get nervous about missing miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
When to get nervous about missing miles?

So last year, I knew I was very close to 50k status, and made sure that I had enough travel to just put me over the edge. One of my routes was a Dec 6th trip from YTZ to YUL (Flight 7979) - all the miles were properly credited for the flight there, but on the flight back we were late and had to divert at the last minute (literally) to YYZ as we missed the operations window closing at the Island airport. Unfortunately, somehow AC decided that the flight was therefor 'cancelled', and did not credit me my miles. When I submitted a missing miles request, I got a note saying that it would take 6-10 weeks to investigate (!!), but then the next day got a response saying that they were declining the request as the flight was 'cancelled', despite my providing them with the ticket number and boarding pass. I called Aeroplan and was told that no, they were did in fact still have my file in review, and that I should be patient.

It's now been about 5 weeks since I filed the request, and I just got a 'Congratulations, you've hit 35k!' email, which is of course infuriating. I'm not especially excited about spending another 30 minutes on hold waiting to talk to someone at Aeroplan, but I definitely want to get the 50k status that I earned before the new period starts. At what point should I be getting nervous about this and attempt to call again? Does the review process *really* take 10 weeks? Is there any electronic communication to the powers that be that might be able to speed up the process for them to confirm that their flight actually landed and was not cancelled?

Frustrated,
-Gav
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:08 am

Not sure how far back you can go to get the data, but it might be worth checking with flightaware, Flightradar24, ExpertFlyer, etc. To see if you can pull up a log showing the diversion on that date to refute the “cancelled” claim.

Your post didn’t mention return flight number or date. Assume same day return?

Edit: Alternatively could you try the online form, but with yyz as destination? Ytz May have been cancelled, but yyz as a destination may be valid due to reroute.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Not sure how far back you can go to get the data, but it might be worth checking with flightaware, Flightradar24, ExpertFlyer, etc. To see if you can pull up a log showing the diversion on that date to refute the “cancelled” claim.

Your post didn’t mention return flight number or date. Assume same day return?

Edit: Alternatively could you try the online form, but with yyz as destination? Ytz May have been cancelled, but yyz as a destination may be valid due to reroute.
Flightaware says the flight was "Diverted", not cancelled
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...140Z/CYUL/CYTZ
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Awesome - using YYZ as the destination worked in the online form, and it says I’ll have my miles credited within 48 hours. It was AC7979 that was missing (YUL to YTZ/YYZ).

Next question is when AC will go through and realize that I did hit 50k... I’m guessing that I’ll have to wait a bit for that to happen, and call in again.

Thanks!
-Gav
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gavriels
Awesome - using YYZ as the destination worked in the online form, and it says I’ll have my miles credited within 48 hours. It was AC7979 that was missing (YUL to YTZ/YYZ).

Next question is when AC will go through and realize that I did hit 50k... I’m guessing that I’ll have to wait a bit for that to happen, and call in again.

Thanks!
-Gav
Make your E35 selections in the meantime. This goof up will likely end up favourable for you.

canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.