Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Award and Revenue Ticket - Checked through Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Mileage Club

Hello All,

ANA member here but trying to book on AC almost a year out to see my family next Christmas using a Star Award Award.

I want to do

1. TYO-YUL
2. YUL-PHL
3. PHL-YUL
4. YUL-TYO
ALL AC Metal

All legs are available except #2 (YUL-PHL). A one way ticket comes to less than $200USD. How does AC treat Award + Revenue tickets? Does anyone have the experience of linking PNRs together? I think it’s an 8 hour layover so in the worse case pick up luggage and recheck in?

I’m Star Alliance Gold (ANA) if that helps at all. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Nick Delgrego
Hello All,

ANA member here but trying to book on AC almost a year out to see my family next Christmas using a Star Award Award.

I want to do

1. TYO-YUL
2. YUL-PHL
3. PHL-YUL
4. YUL-TYO
ALL AC Metal

All legs are available except #2 (YUL-PHL). A one way ticket comes to less than $200USD. How does AC treat Award + Revenue tickets? Does anyone have the experience of linking PNRs together? I think it’s an 8 hour layover so in the worse case pick up luggage and recheck in?

I’m Star Alliance Gold (ANA) if that helps at all. Thanks!
You can't physically book a reward booking and a "revenue" booking combined at the same time under one PNR. The best you can do is book two PNRs and call in to have them linked, which is basically a comment on the files.

1, 3, and 4, AFAIK, can't be treated as an open jaw (someone else can correct me) as you are going back through YUL, but perhaps you could do PHL YYZ HND on the return trip?

Have you considered doing TYO YUL return trip on Aeroplan and then booking YUL PHL round trip revenue?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice!

Using the ANA Award tool I was able to make the

1. NRT - YUL
2. (Skip)
3. PHL - YUL
4. YUL - NRT

Im waiting to buy until I hear people’s experiences about checked through luggage.

Im really only worried about the luggage. Do you think if I get the above award ticket and book a revenue ticket for YUL-PHL that AC would check my luggage through to PHL?

I would be checking in at Narita as Star Alliance Gold and only 1 bag. That should mean no baggage fees right?

thanks again!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you go through YUL twice? I think not.
However about luggage, I don't expect that would be an issue.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Stranger
Can you go through YUL twice? I think not.
However about luggage, I don't expect that would be an issue.
Why not? PHL would be the destination/POT, and there is no issue routing the same city, as long as it's on either side of the POT.

That being said, those are AE's rules, I think the OP is booked with NH.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Nick Delgrego
Using the ANA Award tool I was able to make the

1. NRT - YUL
2. (Skip)
3. PHL - YUL
4. YUL - NRT

Im waiting to buy until I hear people’s experiences about checked through luggage.

Im really only worried about the luggage. Do you think if I get the above award ticket and book a revenue ticket for YUL-PHL that AC would check my luggage through to PHL?

I would be checking in at Narita as Star Alliance Gold and only 1 bag. That should mean no baggage fees right?

thanks again!
The luggage shouldn't be an issue, and yes *G will get you 1 bag...assuming you're booking in economy. You'll get a larger allowance if you're booking in PE or Business.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Why not? PHL would be the destination/POT, and there is no issue routing the same city, as long as it's on either side of the POT.

That being said, those are AE's rules, I think the OP is booked with NH.
What I know: I gota reward for my wife from YYC to BOS and on to Europe. I could not connect at YYZ both going to BOS and then from BOS to Europe. Ended up having her going to BOS through YUL, then to Europe through YYZ.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
What I know: I gota reward for my wife from YYC to BOS and on to Europe. I could not connect at YYZ both going to BOS and then from BOS to Europe. Ended up having her going to BOS through YUL, then to Europe through YYZ.
Right, because Europe would have been the POT. You could route through YYZ on the way to Europe, and then again on the way back.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

The story gets more complicated.

First, thank you for the great information.

Second, I was able to book this itinerary (but I ended up not doing so)

outbound
1. NRT - YUL (Award)
2. YUL - PHL (Revenue)
the reason i did not do this is because now the day I want to return does not show availability for leg #3. I have some leeway in when I return but I’m having worries about what AC will actually release. Family is in PHL but NH flies directly to JFK. Land transport from JFK to PHL is irritating and no flights on *A from JFK to PHL.

I decided to do this.

Outbound
1. AC NRT - YUL (Award)
2. AC YUL - PHL (Revenue)

Inbound
3. NH JFK - HND (Award)

The reason why - my status with NH will allow me to adjust the date (for free) with basically guaranteed availability when the dates become available.

AC not so much ...

but everyone seems to agree that AC would check my bag through on the 1st and 2nd legs of Outgoing only.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Right, because Europe would have been the POT. You could route through YYZ on the way to Europe, and then again on the way back.
Strange comments, why Europe is not POT. I booked YYC-ATL-EWR-Europe and Europe was considered POT. I could have booked the return the same way but came back via YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.