Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

BUF-LAX @$250ish CAD - jump now or wait?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Question for the resident BUF fliers:

I'm looking at an AA fare, LE21D1N, that appears to offer LAX at ~$250 CAD all-in through late October. 21 day adv purchase, 1 day min stay. I'm trying to plan Canadian Thanksgiving with my girlfriend in LA.

This price seems low but the fare rules indicate it is on sale at this level until Oct. as far as I can tell. Is this just the Southwest effect at work or a temporary WN fare match that will end when WN pulls its sale?

I'm only asking because I don't really have the $250 to spare this month and I'd like to wait if I could.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:44 pm
Suspended

UA is running at $180 USD all in for ticketing through to the end of Oct. As long as Southwest continue to fly out of BUF, these deals crop up as price matches.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC*E, PC-Plat
I'd buy now if I were you.

I did buy a BUF-LAX on UA on Sunday for July travelling at $259.93CAD .
I tried to get more segments but I could not get the same low price.
5576 Q miles for $260. That's a bargain. However travelling from Mississauga to BUF for a 6am flight won't be too easy.

Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:05 pm

Make sure you apply the aa.com discount code if you haven't done so.

If you are going UA, you might want to find a Customer Service $25 off certificate.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Buy soon or your dates may be gone. AA flies only RJ's out of BUF to ORD for your connection. It has reduced their capacity tremendously. As a result BUF is also a great place to get bumped if you are so inclined. One voucher could pay for your whole flight after the fact.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

I'm already pulling my hair out trying to get half-decent availability (in October!).

UA seems to be wide open, though... may have to forgo the Platinum bonus on this itin *sniff*
Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:10 am

If you're striking out on just the BUF-ORD leg and can drive an extra couple of hours, try ROC or CLE. Usually the same or even better sales.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
LE21D1N is matching Southwest's "Click n Save" internet sale. You won't find that fare from ROC because WN doesn't fly there

You better hurry and buy those tickets because Soutwest's sale expires after tonight. AA will pull that fare once WN does!

However USD$180-250 is the norm for BUF-West Coast, so once this sale is over there is always another one happening soon. The joys of flying from BUF
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks, FlyerAl, for the confirmation.
Gonna have to wait for the next one. Can't spare the quarter right now.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if the loonie starts flying any higher, you may be able to afford it faster than you thought!

Good luck with that YYZC2.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 12:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
The joys of flying from BUF </font>
Couldn't agree more. Did you ever see the big billboard on Genessee just over 2 years ago referring to "Buffalo-Niagara International Airport - The Toronto Alternative" targetted at the March Break flyers? Great airport. Miss AA mainline service though.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 3:27 am
Original Poster

I think the BUF runners may have a new convert on their hands...

BUF-LAX fares have stayed put at $250 and NW comped me to Gold Elite so I'll be doing a couple quick runs in July/August. First up is July 25-30...

Avis will rent a compact (and usually upgrade me to a mid-size) for $69 each way ($96 CDN tax-in) with no drop fee! The flights and car rentals will put me halfway to the NW "Fly Free Faster 3" 10,000 mile bonus and I get double miles and stand a good chance of getting upgraded to F on most segments, all for $75 less than the cheapest AC itinerary. Woo-hoo!

Not to mention NW's entry into YHZ with their DTW service has brought YHZ-LAX down into the $350 range! Thanks NW!

If anyone could use a lift on either of those dates, fire me an e-mail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.