FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Forum Lounge Thread (2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1948376-forum-lounge-thread-2019-a.html)

canadiancow Jan 6, 2019 10:58 am

Originally Posted by CanRulez (Post 30617862)
Damn California with their FasTrak lanes...we were driving in an HOV lane following my GPS only to suddenly find the lane merging into a FasTrak lane. Solid white line to my right prevented me from changing lanes in time.

What's worse is I understand I can't pay for the violation directly. I have to wait for the rental car company to charge my credit card, inclusive of the car rental company's $25 USD fee.

All for maybe 500 meters...

If it makes you feel any better, I accidentally got on the 407 in December because Google said "stay on 403" and not "use the right three lanes to stay on 403".

Though this was my cousin's car and had a transponder so the cost was not at the same level.

yyznomad Jan 6, 2019 2:24 pm

Damn California with their FasTrak lanes...we were driving in an HOV lane following my GPS only to suddenly find the lane merging into a FasTrak lane. Solid white line to my right prevented me from changing lanes in time.

What's worse is I understand I can't pay for the violation directly. I have to wait for the rental car company to charge my credit card, inclusive of the car rental company's $25 USD fee.

I feel your pain. I've unintentionally driven through E-ZPass lanes in Florida, forgot my US$075 unmanned toll for the I-190 into ORD (probably different by now), etc. All while driving a rental car and getting dinged for the extra service charge.

jc94 Jan 6, 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc (Post 30615586)
I had my Amex scammed a few weeks back which they caught within 12 hrs. Very ingenious as the first transaction they put thru was for $20 to a go fund me for the California fires. Then a bunch of skip the dishes incl $150 on Swiss Chalet. I think the tipoff was when they used it on a Chinese ecomm site. Everything was reversed as fraud but pain to change card numbers.

I heard that putting through a small test charge first is normal. This is when I spotted a small PAYG top up from somewhere I’d never been on a phone provider I’ve never used.

These days I have it setup so I get texts with any withdrawals over x amount on chequing and credit accounts. Is how I caught a hotel trying to charge me nine days before my stay. And the texts appear pretty much immediately when I check out and pay the bill.

Unfortunately, not all cards offer this.

yyznomad Jan 6, 2019 3:42 pm

Kawhi - 5 blocks short of a 5x5 night!

yyznomad Jan 7, 2019 6:38 pm

Like tonight, buds looking lethargic and being outplayed at home... I wonder why they always look so much better on the road.

canadiancow Jan 7, 2019 7:49 pm

Got my replacement card.

Google Pay already had the new number. That's both cool and scary.

jc94 Jan 7, 2019 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30625203)
Got my replacement card.

Google Pay already had the new number. That's both cool and scary.

I would also be wondering how google pay got the new number.

Adam Smith Jan 7, 2019 8:07 pm

Just outside AUS, there's a confusing interchange with a toll road and a freeway. My wife's phone was telling us to go straight through and not go left on to the toll road after the overpass. So I drove straight at the fork and didn't take the toll road, but apparently I did actually drive a couple hundred metres on the toll road - it started on the near side of the overpass and not the far side. Didn't save me any time since I only would have needed to change lanes (no traffic at that time).

I don't know what the toll was, but Enterprise charged me $3.50 in total. I was annoyed, but it wasn't worth arguing with anyone about.

yyznomad Jan 7, 2019 8:37 pm

Speaking of mosaic art (from the end of the 2018 OT thread)... Google is featuring Princess Fahrelnissa Zeid today.

canadiancow Jan 7, 2019 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 30625255)

I would also be wondering how google pay got the new number.

I think it actually links to the account, not the number. My account stayed the same, so it was updated that way.

Otherwise it makes no sense.

24left Jan 8, 2019 7:57 am

"A "smart" suitcase that can follow its owner around is among the items on display at the CES 2019 gadget show in Las Vegas."

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...45d06c74bb.png

For those who can't see the tweet

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 30627012)

canadiancow Jan 8, 2019 10:07 am

I've seen videos of those for years, but I have yet to see one in an airport.

WaytoomuchEurope Jan 8, 2019 10:15 am

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 30627012)
"A "smart" suitcase that can follow its owner around is among the items on display at the CES 2019 gadget show in Las Vegas."

https://twitter.com/APBusiness/statu...85693228314624

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...45d06c74bb.png

For those who can't see the tweet

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30627588)
I've seen videos of those for years, but I have yet to see one in an airport.

I am one of the world's most lazy people. Seriously - I wrote the manual on avoiding anything that requires effort, particularly physical effort. Having said that, even I am not THAT lazy.

Just my opinion of course, but I think this is an utterly worthless invention.

yyznomad Jan 8, 2019 11:11 am

What happens if you get in between the smart suitcase and its owner? Does it attack you?

WaytoomuchEurope Jan 8, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30627887)
What happens if you get in between the smart suitcase and its owner? Does it attack you?

I was assuming it just self-destructed a la Mission Impossible. Also assumed this, like cell phones with exploding batteries, was an undocumented enhancement so as to not tip off the airlines to the fact that it's very dangerous equipment to have on board.