Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Iceland's WOW air sells four A321ceo to Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland's WOW air sells four A321ceo to Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
Hopefully these go to mainline over rouge
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Your comments made me curious...

This is from Feb 2018 (and Lion Air didn't lose a frame at that point). Some interesting comments about how UA had already converted orders

Boeing's 737 MAX 9 Wins FAA Certification, but It's Already Dead in the Water

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...but-its-a.aspx

QUOTES:

"The aircraft manufacturer is celebrating the pending entry-into-service of the jet model -- but the 2020 arrival of the slightly larger and more efficient 737 MAX 10 will render it superfluous."

"However, the 737 MAX 9 hasn't sold very well. "

"Many other Boeing customers converted smaller numbers of existing 737 orders to the MAX 10 last year, hollowing out the 737 MAX 9 backlog even further. Once 737 MAX 10 production ramps up in the next few years, the 737 MAX 9 will have lost most of its (limited) appeal. As a result, its production run could come to a premature end within the next five years or so."

Question: Can AC use the deposit money towards another 777 frame or it doesn't work that way?
AC can convert the 9’s to whatever MAX model they wish - 7s, 8s, or 9s, and probably even 10s (it wasn’t available when they placed the original order). This as been indicated in their investor reports. I suspect they will select the model that best suits their needs when the time comes.

I’m not sure where the info about the poor fuel burn comes from. I suspect that if the fuel burn was poor neither AC or WS would be flying them across the Atlantic. By summer of 2019, they will be flying all over Western Europe from YUL, YHZ, and YYT, never mind the ones coming the other direction from D8 and FI.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Today’s financials confirmed they are going to rouge.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Any idea if AC will repaint and refit the new 321s or get them into service ASAP as is?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by nave888
Any idea if AC will repaint and refit the new 321s or get them into service ASAP as is?
At this point I think ASAP as long as they are allowed to fly with WOW livery with an AC decal on it.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582

At this point I think ASAP as long as they are allowed to fly with WOW livery with an AC decal on it.
Is a decal even required? One limitation: they are currently set up with Y only. Anyone knows if these are the 200 or 220 seats?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Seats can be swapped out quickly, if AC already has them lying around. Not sure about IFE installation (WiFi system for rouge). I doubt they would want to put the planes in service without adding the J cabin.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
The entry timelines for the WOW planes was set before the Max affair, and I see little reason to alter it now. The benefits of pressing the new aircraft into service to alleviate an airframe crunch are likely outweighed by the aforementioned lack of livery, cabin layout and other amenities crucial to the AC brand. May as well spend the time required to fit it to AC specs so that it isn't an odd duck, and have it ready for the peak summer season.

Mind you, I've spent more time writing this post than I have as an airline fleet planner, so apply grains of salt as required.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:31 pm

AC has already indicated that the WOW planes will join the fleet in an accelerated manner due to the MAX grounding.
What that means in terms of cabin layout is unknown, but if they are currently chartering Transat aircraft I am sure they would be happy with a temporary all-Y config.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The entry timelines for the WOW planes was set before the Max affair, and I see little reason to alter it now. The benefits of pressing the new aircraft into service to alleviate an airframe crunch are likely outweighed by the aforementioned lack of livery, cabin layout and other amenities crucial to the AC brand. May as well spend the time required to fit it to AC specs so that it isn't an odd duck, and have it ready for the peak summer season.

Mind you, I've spent more time writing this post than I have as an airline fleet planner, so apply grains of salt as required.
On one hand, I agree with you.

On the other hand, they're charting TS, so I'm not sure they care too much about "an odd duck".

If they can get the seats to their standard in a day or two, but repainting would take a week, I could see them doing the former but not the latter.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Yes, I considered Transat when I wrote my post. I think unless they're truly desperate, they'll configure the new 321s to match their existing ones (perhaps wait to paint until the fall?). It's a case of some pain now versus a lot more pain in June-September. I wrote earlier that I saw little reason to alter the timeline of entry, but I do concede that AC is accelerating that timeframe. Whether that means speeding up the work, or delaying some of the work 'til later, I guess remains to be seen.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
I've heard from a good source that AC mainline is picking up 5 A320s from Interjet.
pitz likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by marke190
I've heard from a good source that AC mainline is picking up 5 A320s from Interjet.
rouge is due to take 6 A320s in 2019. 3 are already confirmed from InterJet, not sure where the other 3 are coming from.

​​​​​​https://www.planespotters.net/production-list/search?fleet=Air-Canada-Rouge&manufacturer=Airbus&type=A320&fleetStatus=fu ture

Are you saying mainline is taking another 5?

Last edited by ChrisA330; Mar 21, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Yes. rouge is due to take 6 A320s in 2019. 3 are already confirmed from InterJet, not sure where the other 3 are coming from.

​​​​​​https://www.planespotters.net/production-list/search?fleet=Air-Canada-Rouge&manufacturer=Airbus&type=A320&fleetStatus=fu ture
Oh wow, I didn't realize that they were going to Rouge. I had just assumed it was mainline since RV only has 319s (and 763s)- interesting that they are adding another type to the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.