Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How do you avoid Aeroplan Fuel Surcharges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

This has probably been asked before but I was hoping to get clarification on how to get around the surcharges charged by Aeroplan for Air Canada flights. The tips I've been given (and used) before are to book through United or LifeMiles who don't pass on fuel surcharges from airlines that charge them like Air Canada or Luftsana. However, this means I will have to use LifeMiles/United miles to book that specific award flight. I read on OneMillionMileSecrets that if you find a specific seat on these other programs (LM/MP) that you can call Aeroplan and they can book you that seat.. but doesn't that still mean you'll have to pay in Aeroplan Miles and still be charged the extra fees? Has anyone tried this before that can give more detail?

Thanks!

Ps. Specifically I'm looking for award tickets between NA and Europe. Ex. Toronto - Paris, New York - London, etc etc.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Discussed many times in this forum. The search should bring up some threads, but here is a good place to start: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions
flyquiet likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If the question is how to avoid YQ on AC flights, then the answer is simple. Earn SE status.

If the question is how to avoid YQ (but that's not what you asked), then the above link is quite informative.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If the question is how to avoid YQ on AC flights, then the answer is simple. Earn SE status.
Or just collect your miles with program(s) that don't charge YQ on award redemptions period....

Costs much less than $20k.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Or just collect your miles with program(s) that don't charge YQ on award redemptions period....

Costs much less than $20k.
And, can sometimes give you more redemption options.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.