Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Can someone explain Aeroplan site not showing direct flight availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Can someone explain Aeroplan site not showing direct flight availability?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Can someone explain Aeroplan site not showing direct flight availability?

Edit:
In case you can't see images. I'm trying to find a direct flight from Europe to LAX using Aeroplan miles. I was selecting random cities and tried Brussels (Image 1), this showed me availability on LOT for a direct flight from WAW. So when I tried to purchase that flight, the search engine wouldn't find it. (Image 2). I searched another date, and the search did result in a direct flight (Image 3). I'm wondering why it won't show the direct flight on one day even though it shows up when it's used as a connection.

Flight from BRU via WAW shows Business availability on flight LO23 WAW-LAX on October 2nd.

Search for WAW-LAX does not show direct flight availability on October 2nd.

Search for WAW-LAX shows direct flight availability on a different date (Oct. 1)

Last edited by Journey4Happy; Dec 1, 2018 at 2:23 pm Reason: fixed html
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is your goal trying to get from BRU to LAX on a non-stop (Aeroplan reward) flight, you mean?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is your goal trying to get from BRU to LAX on a non-stop (Aeroplan reward) flight, you mean?
I think he means to say that when searching for BRU-LAX and can get the non-stop WAW-LAX, but when searching for WAW-LAX on the same day the non-stop does not show up.

Married segments by Lot?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
I think he means to say that when searching for BRU-LAX and can get the non-stop WAW-LAX, but when searching for WAW-LAX on the same day the non-stop does not show up.

Married segments by Lot?
Ah, right, gotcha.

Added: For some reason, the original graphics (they need to be resized, IMHO) had some loading latency, so I only saw the first one showing BRU LAX when I responded.

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 1, 2018 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat

Married segments by Lot?
Is that a known thing? How could flights with a 7-hour layover be married?

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ah, right, gotcha.

Added: For some reason, the original graphics (they need to be resized, IMHO) had some loading latency, so I only saw the first one showing BRU LAX when I responded.
I'm on mobile so couldn't figure out resize of images. I tried to change the "source" but it's not actually HTML.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
Is that a known thing? How could flights with a 7-hour layover be married?
The length of the connection is irrelevant. Some airlines employ married-segment availability on award travel. That means that you can only book each of the legs on an award if you book them together; the individual segments will not be available as stand-alone redemptions.

There is also reverse-married-segment availability, whereby individual segments will be available as stand-alone redemptions, but will not be available when attempting to book them as part of a connection.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
The length of the connection is irrelevant. Some airlines employ married-segment availability on award travel. That means that you can only book each of the legs on an award if you book them together; the individual segments will not be available as stand-alone redemptions.

There is also reverse-married-segment availability, whereby individual segments will be available as stand-alone redemptions, but will not be available when attempting to book them as part of a connection.
Not that it really makes any sense when dealing with awards. More likely, I would guess, that this was set up for some paid fares but somehow it propagated to awards. With paid fares, can serve for gathering extra connection business from outside their regular (taken for granted) catch basin. But awards are just meant to fill empty seats, or to "sell" them to partner airlines, in which case it should make no difference.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Not that it really makes any sense when dealing with awards. More likely, I would guess, that this was set up for some paid fares but somehow it propagated to awards. With paid fares, can serve for gathering extra connection business from outside their regular (taken for granted) catch basin. But awards are just meant to fill empty seats, or to "sell" them to partner airlines, in which case it should make no difference.
At least for married-segment availability, the way another FTer explained it -- and it makes some sense to me -- is that if airlines did not employ such a practice, customers located at or near an airline's hubs could snatch up all low-tier awards on nonstops in and out of the hubs, while freezing out awards for customers (like me) who live in a spoke city and must connect through a hub.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

At least for married-segment availability, the way another FTer explained it -- and it makes some sense to me -- is that if airlines did not employ such a practice, customers located at or near an airline's hubs could snatch up all low-tier awards on nonstops in and out of the hubs, while freezing out awards for customers (like me) who live in a spoke city and must connect through a hub.
So I see the economics of married segments, but what's the justification for reverse married? I'm now getting the reverse married problem as I'm trying to go from MUC to LAX. Now I see direct MUC-WAW & direct WAW-LAX but United/Aeroplan won't find MUC-LAX on that route and it books the multi-city (on the same day) as 2 trips. I assume that award booking agents will be able to book piece by piece, right?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I see the economics of married segments, but what's the justification for reverse married? I'm now getting the reverse married problem as I'm trying to go from MUC to LAX. Now I see direct MUC-WAW & direct WAW-LAX but United/Aeroplan won't find MUC-LAX on that route and it books the multi-city (on the same day) as 2 trips. I assume that award booking agents will be able to book piece by piece, right?
In situations like these I have on occasion been able to get what I wanted by phoning in.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE
Just wondering - as I am in the same situation at the moment - if calling in will allow you to divorce these married segments. Ethiopian YYZ-ADD-CPT shows no J space on a reward ticket. YYZ-IAD-ADD-CPT - shows availabilty - same flight 847!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Just guessing, but could it be over MPM? I had a situation where I wanted to book CDG-IST-YYZ this past summer. There was availability of one-way awards CDG-IST and IST-YYZ. I couldn't book them as a connecting flight, because CDG-IST-YYZ was over the MPM allowed between CDG and YYZ. I ended up taking the train to GVA, and flew GVA-IST-YYZ, which was just inside the MPM for GVA and YYZ. In your case, MUC and WAW are not that far apart, I wouldn't think it is over, but I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility for this type of search result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.