Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do I have any chance of making this itinerary work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX

Background: I am helping some friends plan a trip to Europe next summer. Would love to ride up front. She has enough miles (or will) for 3 one-way J rewards, he has enough for 1. So not possible to book RT, have to be 4 OW tickets.

They are flying out of YBC. Going I can piecemeal an itinerary with an overnight in YUL. However, the return is the problem. I've found the perfect LX seats for the return, but my problem is that the ZRH-YUL flight arrives at 15:10, and the YUL-YBC flight leaves at 15:40. AE isn't even giving this as a possibility, so I'm going to assume 30 minutes is under minimum connection time. However, there's only one daily flight to YBC, which means waiting until the next day puts them over the 24-hour connection time. I'm pretty sure there's a 'next flight' provision that would allow for an exemption from the 24h rule, but would that same-day flight screw this up, even if it isn't a valid connection? I have visions of a sort of 'Who's on first' conversation with AE:

-"We can't book you, 30 min. isn't enough time"
-"So book me on the next day's flight"
-"But it exceeds the 24-hour connection time"
-"Isn't there a provision for next available flight?"
-"Yes, but there's an earlier flight"
-"Then book me on that one"
-"We can't book you on that flight, 30 min. isn't enough time"...

Is there any way of booking this?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Twickenham
Background: I am helping some friends plan a trip to Europe next summer. Would love to ride up front. She has enough miles (or will) for 3 one-way J rewards, he has enough for 1. So not possible to book RT, have to be 4 OW tickets.

They are flying out of YBC. Going I can piecemeal an itinerary with an overnight in YUL. However, the return is the problem. I've found the perfect LX seats for the return, but my problem is that the ZRH-YUL flight arrives at 15:10, and the YUL-YBC flight leaves at 15:40. AE isn't even giving this as a possibility, so I'm going to assume 30 minutes is under minimum connection time. However, there's only one daily flight to YBC, which means waiting until the next day puts them over the 24-hour connection time. I'm pretty sure there's a 'next flight' provision that would allow for an exemption from the 24h rule, but would that same-day flight screw this up, even if it isn't a valid connection? I have visions of a sort of 'Who's on first' conversation with AE:

-"We can't book you, 30 min. isn't enough time"
-"So book me on the next day's flight"
-"But it exceeds the 24-hour connection time"
-"Isn't there a provision for next available flight?"
-"Yes, but there's an earlier flight"
-"Then book me on that one"
-"We can't book you on that flight, 30 min. isn't enough time"...

Is there any way of booking this?
Yes. It can and should be bookable. If the first possible connection after ZRH-YUL is less than the MCT, you can then book the next connection that meets MCT requirements even if it is over the 24hrs.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't there a 9:05 flight to YBC the next day? Or no availability?

Still, try calling.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by Stranger
Isn't there a 9:05 flight to YBC the next day? Or no availability?

Still, try calling.
The 15:40 is the only flight that showed up on both AE and AC (for a cash ticket) for my dates.

Encouraged by your posts. Hopefully when she goes to book (she still has a couple of transfers to do), she'll get one of the good agents...
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

OK, different question regarding the same booking. There's a possibility that my friends will be moving out of YBC before their trip next summer. If they book now to/from YBC, can they later change their tickets to drop the YUL-YBC segments while keeping the YUL-Europe flights, or would they need to cancel the whole itinerary and hope their J seats go back into inventory so they can rebook them?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Twickenham
OK, different question regarding the same booking. There's a possibility that my friends will be moving out of YBC before their trip next summer. If they book now to/from YBC, can they later change their tickets to drop the YUL-YBC segments while keeping the YUL-Europe flights, or would they need to cancel the whole itinerary and hope their J seats go back into inventory so they can rebook them?
They can drop a leg.

A family member just did this (dropped YOW-YYZ) to leave a YYZ-Europe award ticket only.

But of course it will involve a change fee.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber
They can drop a leg.

A family member just did this (dropped YOW-YYZ) to leave a YYZ-Europe award ticket only.

But of course it will involve a change fee.
Excellent - thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.