Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do I have any chance of making this itinerary work?

Do I have any chance of making this itinerary work?

Reply

Old Nov 19, 18, 10:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Posts: 894
Do I have any chance of making this itinerary work?

Background: I am helping some friends plan a trip to Europe next summer. Would love to ride up front. She has enough miles (or will) for 3 one-way J rewards, he has enough for 1. So not possible to book RT, have to be 4 OW tickets.

They are flying out of YBC. Going I can piecemeal an itinerary with an overnight in YUL. However, the return is the problem. I've found the perfect LX seats for the return, but my problem is that the ZRH-YUL flight arrives at 15:10, and the YUL-YBC flight leaves at 15:40. AE isn't even giving this as a possibility, so I'm going to assume 30 minutes is under minimum connection time. However, there's only one daily flight to YBC, which means waiting until the next day puts them over the 24-hour connection time. I'm pretty sure there's a 'next flight' provision that would allow for an exemption from the 24h rule, but would that same-day flight screw this up, even if it isn't a valid connection? I have visions of a sort of 'Who's on first' conversation with AE:

-"We can't book you, 30 min. isn't enough time"
-"So book me on the next day's flight"
-"But it exceeds the 24-hour connection time"
-"Isn't there a provision for next available flight?"
-"Yes, but there's an earlier flight"
-"Then book me on that one"
-"We can't book you on that flight, 30 min. isn't enough time"...

Is there any way of booking this?
Twickenham is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 10:59 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: YYZ most of the time
Programs: AC SE100K MM, UA*1K, Princess Elite
Posts: 3,680
Originally Posted by Twickenham View Post
Background: I am helping some friends plan a trip to Europe next summer. Would love to ride up front. She has enough miles (or will) for 3 one-way J rewards, he has enough for 1. So not possible to book RT, have to be 4 OW tickets.

They are flying out of YBC. Going I can piecemeal an itinerary with an overnight in YUL. However, the return is the problem. I've found the perfect LX seats for the return, but my problem is that the ZRH-YUL flight arrives at 15:10, and the YUL-YBC flight leaves at 15:40. AE isn't even giving this as a possibility, so I'm going to assume 30 minutes is under minimum connection time. However, there's only one daily flight to YBC, which means waiting until the next day puts them over the 24-hour connection time. I'm pretty sure there's a 'next flight' provision that would allow for an exemption from the 24h rule, but would that same-day flight screw this up, even if it isn't a valid connection? I have visions of a sort of 'Who's on first' conversation with AE:

-"We can't book you, 30 min. isn't enough time"
-"So book me on the next day's flight"
-"But it exceeds the 24-hour connection time"
-"Isn't there a provision for next available flight?"
-"Yes, but there's an earlier flight"
-"Then book me on that one"
-"We can't book you on that flight, 30 min. isn't enough time"...

Is there any way of booking this?
Yes. It can and should be bookable. If the first possible connection after ZRH-YUL is less than the MCT, you can then book the next connection that meets MCT requirements even if it is over the 24hrs.
yyz_atc_qq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 11:01 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 20,402
Isn't there a 9:05 flight to YBC the next day? Or no availability?

Still, try calling.
Stranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 11:27 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Posts: 894
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Isn't there a 9:05 flight to YBC the next day? Or no availability?

Still, try calling.
The 15:40 is the only flight that showed up on both AE and AC (for a cash ticket) for my dates.

Encouraged by your posts. Hopefully when she goes to book (she still has a couple of transfers to do), she'll get one of the good agents...
Twickenham is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 18, 12:22 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Posts: 894
OK, different question regarding the same booking. There's a possibility that my friends will be moving out of YBC before their trip next summer. If they book now to/from YBC, can they later change their tickets to drop the YUL-YBC segments while keeping the YUL-Europe flights, or would they need to cancel the whole itinerary and hope their J seats go back into inventory so they can rebook them?
Twickenham is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:23 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, Marriott- LT Plat, SPG RIP, IHG- Plat
Posts: 2,118
Originally Posted by Twickenham View Post
OK, different question regarding the same booking. There's a possibility that my friends will be moving out of YBC before their trip next summer. If they book now to/from YBC, can they later change their tickets to drop the YUL-YBC segments while keeping the YUL-Europe flights, or would they need to cancel the whole itinerary and hope their J seats go back into inventory so they can rebook them?
They can drop a leg.

A family member just did this (dropped YOW-YYZ) to leave a YYZ-Europe award ticket only.

But of course it will involve a change fee.
Plumber is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 18, 8:11 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Posts: 894
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
They can drop a leg.

A family member just did this (dropped YOW-YYZ) to leave a YYZ-Europe award ticket only.

But of course it will involve a change fee.
Excellent - thanks!
Twickenham is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: