Wiki Posts
Search

Reconciling my Visa bill

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Reconciling my Visa bill

So another month, another adventure with Air Canada and my Visa bill. This month I have 11 different charges from AC for three different trips. Each item is described by two dates, a 13 digit ticket number and a 23 digit reference number of some sort, for a total of 36 meaningless digits. Moreover, in some cases neither of the two dates match the dates on which I made the bookings.

So each month I have to go through my chain of emails and try to pick out which trip is which charge so I can verify the Visa charge and make sure I bill it to the right client.

Is it too much to ask that AC post a six digit Booking Reference or a trip description like "YVR-YYZ Nov 17 2018" instead of the maelstrom of meaningless numbers ?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Sopwith
So another month, another adventure with Air Canada and my Visa bill. This month I have 11 different charges from AC for three different trips. Each item is described by two dates, a 13 digit ticket number and a 23 digit reference number of some sort, for a total of 36 meaningless digits. Moreover, in some cases neither of the two dates match the dates on which I made the bookings.

So each month I have to go through my chain of emails and try to pick out which trip is which charge so I can verify the Visa charge and make sure I bill it to the right client.

Is it too much to ask that AC post a six digit Booking Reference or a trip description like "YVR-YYZ Nov 17 2018" instead of the maelstrom of meaningless numbers ?
Credit card companies post information differently. Some will actually post origin and destination with date. When I had a Diners Club card that's how it posted. But even with that, the way a credit card issuer posts information can change over the years.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Have you compared these to the e-receipts you have from AC?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
That information all shows up on Amex. Maybe your card issuer doesn't support it?

24left and BlondeBomber like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
And here's one from my corporate card. Citi Visa.

Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The ticket number should be good enough to match, no? I had to do this during Earn Your Wings when I had like 20 tickets all issued the same day. I just searched my email for the ticket number.
Stranger likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I definitely like the way AMEX displays everything^
RangerNS and DNAwizard like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
OP, assuming you are provided with the functionality, have you tried exporting your CC details to Excel? Sometimes there are more details on the export than there are on online.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. AC sends me a single pdf entitled "Booking Confirmation" with the Booking Reference # in the title, so easily searchable. It lists all the charges and totals them up into a single total at the bottom, nice and neat. But on my Visa bill it shows as four separate charges, with two different ticket numbers and four different 13 digit reference numbers, but no simple, neat six digit Booking Reference. I guess this is AC's IT department's work again.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. AC sends me a single pdf entitled "Booking Confirmation" with the Booking Reference # in the title, so easily searchable. It lists all the charges and totals them up into a single total at the bottom, nice and neat. But on my Visa bill it shows as four separate charges, with two different ticket numbers and four different 13 digit reference numbers, but no simple, neat six digit Booking Reference. I guess this is AC's IT department's work again.
Presumably the ticket numbers are sequential? Remnant of paper tickets, when more than x legs entailed a second paper ticket.

Anyway, the ticket number should be the unique identifier. Also, if reissued, you get a new number, associated with the new bill.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Presumably the ticket numbers are sequential? Remnant of paper tickets, when more than x legs entailed a second paper ticket.

Anyway, the ticket number should be the unique identifier. Also, if reissued, you get a new number, associated with the new bill.
There are two pax on the reservation. One booking reference but each ticket and each seat selection shows separately on the Visa statement = four postings.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:18 pm
5mm
Suspended

This is is a CC issue and has nothing to do with AC.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 0.197"

This is is a CC issue and has nothing to do with AC.

Any time there's any sort of IT issue, your best bet is ALWAYS to assume it starts with Air Canada.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Any time there's any sort of IT issue, your best bet is ALWAYS to assume it starts with Air Canada.
I would've used 0.1968503937007874015748031496063" to quote.

In this case, it's best not to assume that it started with Air Canada.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by KenHamer
AC is obviously capable of feeding clean, useful, data to AE. Which is to say, feed clean and useful data to anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.