Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Fresh Fruit that is Frozen

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
My heart goes out to you as it did a few years ago to Canada Senator Nancy Ruth who had been served ice-cold Camembert and broken crackers in First Class. The humanity!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Jagboi
If you repeatedly come across food you consider unfit for human consumption, why continue to fly AC? Especially TPAC there any many better alternatives.
Yes, sometimes there are alternatives. Unfortunately, on some of the routes I fly, if I need a specific schedule or prefer a direct flight that saves me 5 hours+, I take AC. For example, PVG-YUL. I do use other airlines like AF/KLM and BR, but sometimes the schedules and pricing doesn't work.

Originally Posted by GFrye
Poor thing. Next you'll complain that the beer is "not palatable" because it is half a degree too warm.
I doubt you will see her swilling a can of tepid Pabst Blue Ribbon. You are talking about someone with some class. There is a reason why she is the renowned product spokesperson for the FTACKKCC (Flyer Talk Air Canada Kit Kat Confectionery club). No one is as elegant as her when she delicately breaks off a kit kat finger, with nary a crumb lost. Rumor has it, the skill was honed while breaking the fingers of insolent Y pax who attempted to pilfer the Kit Kat selection in the J cabin.

... or they are laughing at your complaints and depositing your complaints in the circular container where they belong.
I’m sure that the napkin are not meant to have a crease that is a quarter inch off-center, but only a certain type of people would whine about that type of insignificant issues. Those people should change their user names to include the word “bridge” so that they can get over themselves.

Ahh, so you assert that the concerns expressed in regard to the cold and near frozen meals are unimportant. Well, the day you start paying $5,000+ out of your own pocket for a product and service described as something different than that delivered, you will appreciate why some of us are irked. There are times when I work and then travel for almost 36 hours with no time to stop for a proper meal. The meal onboard my 12 hour+ flight is often the only meal I will get in that time frame.
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
My heart goes out to you as it did a few years ago to Canada Senator Nancy Ruth who had been served ice-cold Camembert and broken crackers in First Class. The humanity!
Wrong. The event as you describe NEVER occurred. It is an urban myth. Air Canada does not have "First Class", and the former senator offered her comment in respect to her not eating the domestic breakfast served on some Air Canada flights. I don't eat it either as I do not find the industrial egg concoction with chicken skin/connective tissue/cuttings sausage served on an ice cold plate with the frequently frozen or stale fruit appetizing. Perhaps if you ever fly a domestic business class flight you will enjoy the breakfast. Your choice. Some people love Burger King croissanwiches too.

However, to fully understand the situation discussed in this thread. I suggest that you first fly in Air Canada Signature Class (aka business class) so that you can experience the situation in person. Once you do, you will be in a better position to offer a constructive comment and not a cheap shot.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Nov 7, 2018 at 8:00 pm Reason: spelling (sorry)
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Yes, sometimes there are alternatives. Unfortunately, on some of the routes I fly, if I need a specific schedule or prefer a direct flight that saves me 5 hours+, I take AC. For example, PVG-YUL. I do use other airlines like AF/KLM and BR, but sometimes the schedules and pricing doesn't work.

I doubt you will see her swilling a can of tepid Pabst Blue Ribbon. You are talking about someone with some class. There is a reason why she is the renowned product spokesperson for the FTACKKCC (Flyer Talk Air Canada Kit Kat Confectionery club). No one is as elegant as her when she delicately breaks off a kit kat finger, with nary a crumb lost. Rumor has it, the skill was honed while breaking the fingers of insolent Y pax who attempted to pilfer the Kit Kat selection in the J cabin.

Ahh, so you assert that the concerns expressed in regard to the cold and near frozen meals are unimportant. Well, the day you start paying $5,000+ out of your own pocket for a product and service described as something different than that delivered, you will appreciate why some of us are irked. There are times when I work and then travel for almost 36 hours with no time to stop for a proper meal. The meal onboard my 12 hour+ flight is often the only meal I will get in that time frame.

Wrong. The event as you describe NEVER occurred. It is an urban myth. Air Canada does not have "First Class", and the former senator offered her comment in respect to her not eating the domestic breakfast served on some Air Canada flights. I don't eat it either as I do not find the industrial egg concoction with chicken skin/connective tissue/cuttings sausage served on an ice cold plate with the frequently frozen or stale fruit unappetizing. Perhaps if you ever fly a domestic business class flight you will enjoy the breakfast. Your choice. Some people love Burger King croissanwiches too.

However, to fully understand the situation discussed in this thread. I suggest that you first fly in Air Canada Signature Class (aka business class) so that you can experience the situation in person. Once you do, you will be in a better position to offer a constructive comment and not a cheap shot.

Last edited by yyznomad; Nov 7, 2018 at 8:00 pm Reason: Removed the Obama one in case it gets misconstrued as "political" even though it wasn't the intention
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
My SPML to Haneda last month was AVML served frozen, bread, main...all of it. When I asked the SD why it was not heated they said they received no instructions with it

sometimes a little common sense could be useful
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Wings100
My SPML to Haneda last month was AVML served frozen, bread, main...all of it. When I asked the SD why it was not heated they said they received no instructions with it

sometimes a little common sense could be useful
Did the SD at least attempt to warm it for you after your brought it to their attention?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Did the SD at least attempt to warm it for you after your brought it to their attention?
No the SD was not helpful and when I asked if there was any other meal left he said he had been serving the AVML for 30 years without a complaint and he would check what he had left but he never came back. I stopped another FA and got something.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
... or they are laughing at your complaints and depositing your complaints in the circular container where they belong.

I’m sure that the napkin are not meant to have a crease that is a quarter inch off-center, but only a certain type of people would whine about that type of insignificant issues. Those people should change their user names to include the word “bridge” so that they can get over themselves.
Get over yourself! Seriously.
Stranger likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:13 pm

if you travel for work there may be a different perspective. For eg right now will be home 3 nights in 6 weeks and in and out of hotels nightly leaving very early and arriving very late. The few hours on a flight are often, even if indicative of the lack of a life, respite and the only time you may get a meal or at least one on a plate. So it matters. And if you paid for it yourself (for eg by upfaring from what your employer pays for) and you have 8 hours with only snack to nibble on, entirely appropriate to flag.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 8, 2018 at 6:16 am Reason: edit quote
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:54 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Wings100

No the SD was not helpful and when I asked if there was any other meal left he said he had been serving the AVML for 30 years without a complaint and he would check what he had left but he never came back. I stopped another FA and got something.

To be fair, after only 30 years at AC you can't expect him to work without explicit instructions.

After all, he's there primarily for your safety. Which does have instructions.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Nov 8, 2018 at 2:42 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
To be fair, after only 30 years at AC you can't expect him to work without explicit instructions.

After all, he's there primarily for your safety. Which does have instructions.
Some people should know when it is time to retire from a customer facing job
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

@ to the other poster wondering why we compare to restaurants......

I’m sure that the napkins are not meant to have a crease that is a quarter inch off-center, but only a certain type of people would whine about that type of insignificant issues. Those people should change their user names to include the word “bridge” so that they can get over themselves.
AC's product does not meet our expectations or ones promised by the airline, specially for the price paid for the flight in J. There is no comparison to a restaurant being made, its comparing AC's product to other airlines and their own vaunted descriptions including 'Signature'. Your post is not helpful to the topic and condescending.
It this was a one off occurrence of frozen fruit it would have been a passing mention. It seems to be a serial issue just like the deflating seats.
If you fly in J (I fly Y, PY and sometimes J) and do not mind frozen fruit being served or maybe even like frozen fruit, then state that.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vernonc

@ to the other poster wondering why we compare to restaurants......

I’m sure that the napkins are not meant to have a crease that is a quarter inch off-center, but only a certain type of people would whine about that type of insignificant issues. Those people should change their user names to include the word “bridge” so that they can get over themselves.
AC's product does not meet our expectations or ones promised by the airline, specially for the price paid for the flight in J. There is no comparison to a restaurant being made, its comparing AC's product to other airlines and their own vaunted descriptions including 'Signature'.

[...]
i did not write anything about any restaurant comparison. Please don’t misquote me and try to put words in my mouth.

Last edited by GFrye; Nov 8, 2018 at 11:16 am Reason: Clarified which part of the quote by vernonc is a misquote, and an attempt to put words in my mouth.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Wrong. The event as you describe NEVER occurred. It is an urban myth. Air Canada does not have "First Class", and the former senator offered her comment in respect to her not eating the domestic breakfast served on some Air Canada flights. I don't eat it either as I do not find the industrial egg concoction with chicken skin/connective tissue/cuttings sausage served on an ice cold plate with the frequently frozen or stale fruit appetizing. Perhaps if you ever fly a domestic business class flight you will enjoy the breakfast. Your choice. Some people love Burger King croissanwiches too.

To us common folk, anything in the first 20 rows of an aircraft is "first class".

The episode with the august Senator is not an urban myth, and I'm sure it was based on an actual experience of hers. That she was on the taxpayer dime is just an aggravating factor. Andrew Coyne wrote at the time that “It fell to Sen. Nancy Ruth, as it always does, to strike a blow for sanity.” That's how tone deaf her complaint about the ice-cold Camembert was... from the general pubic's perspective, not the gazillion-milers' flyertalk members. And since the people reviewing customer complaints tend to fall in the former group, I would venture a guess that there is quite a bit of truth to GFrye's comment about laughter and waste baskets.

A cheap shot would have been wondering what kind of person orders fruit for breakfast. But I'm just an "eggs and bacon" type of simpleton.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i did not write anything about any restaurant comparison. Please don’t misquote me and try to put words in my mouth.
The article specifically referred to *other posters.* No misquote.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
To us common folk, anything in the first 20 rows of an aircraft is "first class".
First class is long dead. And accuracy never hurts.

Whether common or uncommon folks, no difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.