Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Fresh Fruit that is Frozen

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by 5mm
Very simple answer. All airlines keep their food in a chiller for health reasons. My CX flight to Hong Kong yesterday had this same issue. It’s about taking everything about travel in stride. Airlines are not restaurants. Why do some people on FT think differently or think airline food should be held to restaurant standards. One thing about restaurants, their food is better, but I have never ended up in a different city after my dinner.

Nope. This is not about restaurants, but is an issue of airline catering quality control. How often do you fly on AC in J? I fly a fraction of the volume that many of the people on this thread fly and yet I too have had repeated issues of improperly stored food on my AC flights. Some airports are worse than others. Oddly enough, in all the years of flying other airlines to and from Canada, I never had the number issues of ice cold plates, and still frozen entrees as I have had on AC. Some airlines (e.g. SQ, BR, LH) have strict QC and verify their catering, including spot checking of meals onboard aircraft. Air Canada is one of the airlines that does the bare minimum and its caterers behave accordingly, even in foreign locations (e.g. HKG) where poor quality is unusual. There is no one reliably supervising the catering and spot checking the meals, because if there was, the improper packing and preparation would have been spotted a long time ago and corrected.
Originally Posted by swingaling
Just because a berry becomes partially frozen, does not mean it’s thereafter inedible. Sure, texture may suffer a bit, as the ice crystals have broken some cell walls. But taste should be fine and it’s certainly still safe to eat. Get a grip.

Despite your dismissal, the observation was valid. This isn't about a partially frozen berry, but the constant serving of improperly stored fruit. Frozen fruit can be safely consumed, but it must be properly frozen and thawed if its flavour, and nutritional quality is to be preserved. Are you aware that produce served in this fashion in a retail environment is considered unfit for human consumption and if it was found on the shelf of your local food retailer would be subject to seizure and destruction? Why is it acceptable for Air Canada to serve what most of us consider to be garbage, but if another consumer services entity did this, that entity would be sanctioned? I paid $5800+ for my last TPAC and I don't believe it is unreasonable, nor "demanding" to expect a properly prepared fruit plate or an entree that is not slopped onto an ice cold plate such that when served to me is lukewarm or cold. The standards expected here are reasonable and what is being questioned is why Air Canada consistently fails to supervise its catering.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
If you repeatedly come across food you consider unfit for human consumption, why continue to fly AC? Especially TPAC there any many better alternatives.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Member

I don't see what the problem is. I mean it's not like they are charging you extra for the freezing.

Don't know about thawing charges though.
D582, lallied, 24left and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Frozen fruit is a great product and feeds millions. As an ingredient in something else. Smoothies, or perhaps blended into a desert.

Served by itself, it is simply wrong. It is as edible as raw rice or flat beer. It isn't going to kill you, or even make you sick, but we are down to insulting levels of "food". Why bother at that level?
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by 24left
Well then you can eat them. I am not the only one who is not inclined to eat frozen fruit. Further, once thawed, strawberries, citrus and melons are not palatable even if you like to eat them.
Once frozen, they are better served frozen (they taste better) than thawed IMO.

Some don't freeze well though - they simply get rock hard and annoying to eat.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Once frozen, they are better served frozen (they taste better) than thawed IMO.

Some don't freeze well though - they simply get rock hard and annoying to eat.
Yes.

One data point from an experience in J with a fellow FTer seated next to me (this was a planned flight with multiple FTers). S/he had ordered a SPML (IIRC) and the blueberries were so iced over that when s/he touched them with his/her fork, you could hear a *klink* like it was metal. IIRC, s/he tried eating one but it was basically impossible to do so. The rest of his/her fruit was similarly frozen. They were not edible during the flight. It was a Rapidair flight so no time to let them thaw out to at least chew on.

I have more data points, but just wanted to state the above for now.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry

Order a shot of vodka, put the frozen fruit in the vodka

sip chilled vodka then eat Yukka Flux Fruit

it never killed us in University and you would see others ordering it and reliving the days of glory

when life gives you lemons...... make yukka flux
canadiancow and MichaelBaku like this.

Last edited by Jimmie Jet; Nov 7, 2018 at 4:11 am Reason: Added cool picture dude
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
On my flight from SFO in biz, my appetizer had sliced fingerling potatoes and they were hard frozen. Left them on the plate.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
Further, once thawed, strawberries, citrus and melons are not palatable even if you like to eat them.
Poor thing. Next you'll complain that the beer is "not palatable" because it is half a degree too warm.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GFrye
Poor thing. Next you'll complain that the beer is "not palatable" because it is half a degree too warm.
Usually it's the champagne that's too warm. Which is a bit of a shame.

Beer choice on AC is not going to get much better just serving it at the right temperature.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by GFrye
Originally Posted by Stranger
Usually it's the champagne that's too warm. Which is a bit of a shame.

Beer choice on AC is not going to get much better just serving it at the right temperature.
I've never had beer on AC. Is it usually warm?
Now, as a data point, I've never had warm fresh fruit on AC.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I've never had beer on AC. Is it usually warm?
Now, as a data point, I've never had warm fresh fruit on AC.
Beer on AC is not warm but its not cold enough either. Maybe they should store the beer in the chiller with the fresh fruits :-)
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by vernonc
Beer on AC is not warm but its not cold enough either. Maybe they should store the beer in the chiller with the fresh fruits :-)
Frozen beer? Beer cans can explode.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Hi guys

This thread is about Fresh Fruit that Air Canada likes to serve frozen. Not really about beer - warm, cold or exploding. While I've posted about the never-ending warm champagne served on AC and I've included my photos of ice cubes in the bubbles, most here n FT and in the wider universe would consider warm champagne to be FWP.

The issue with the frozen fruit - humour, blenders and smoothies aside - is that as a main breakfast meal and as a dessert, the fruit in those dishes is not meant to be served frozen or thawed from frozen.

For those of you who think this is not an issue, well, you're entitled to your opinion. A number of us here have pointed out reasons this is not acceptable.

AC already knows about this because I sent them photos of my previous frozen meals including the Healthy Breakfast fruit plate and other meals. I also know that on a recent flight, some hot meals were served still frozen.

Either the SDs are not forwarding the reports "upstairs" or they are and no one seems to think an audit of catering is in order.

That's all. Carry on.......
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:27 pm
Suspended

... or they are laughing at your complaints and depositing your complaints in the circular container where they belong.

I’m sure that the napkins are not meant to have a crease that is a quarter inch off-center, but only a certain type of people would whine about that type of insignificant issues. Those people should change their user names to include the word “bridge” so that they can get over themselves.
bambinomartino likes this.

Last edited by GFrye; Nov 7, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.