Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Altitude 2019 benefits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Altitude 2019 benefits

I just got an e-mail from AC about a couple of improvements (not "enhancements") to benefits in 2019 - early recognition is now expanded to all tiers (including P25K) and the lower requalification level now applies to all tiers. So it seems that if one is SE, chooses lower requalification level, and ends up at 71K AQM, that will qualify for E75K (provided the E75K AQD requirement is met). What's not clear is whether someone who's E50K will get to "re"qualify for SE at 95K...

No other announcements and I can't choose my 2019 select privileges yet, so I imagine this is just the first announcement of at least two... So, I guess we may as well start, in earnest, the speculation on what other changes are coming!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I just got an e-mail from AC about a couple of improvements (not "enhancements") to benefits in 2019 - early recognition is now expanded to all tiers (including P25K) and the lower requalification level now applies to all tiers. So it seems that if one is SE, chooses lower requalification level, and ends up at 71K AQM, that will qualify for E75K (provided the E75K AQD requirement is met). What's not clear is whether someone who's E50K will get to "re"qualify for SE at 95K...

No other announcements and I can't choose my 2019 select privileges yet, so I imagine this is just the first announcement of at least two... So, I guess we may as well start, in earnest, the speculation on what other changes are coming!
Got the email also- was disappointed i could not click through to more info on the site. I checked the Altitude site and there are no other updates.

While I am sure these announced changes are good for some, they mean little or nothing to those who are SE and continue to qualify each year for SE.

Last edited by Plumber; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:50 am
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
It was almost not worth sending the email out. Early recognition and lower requalification were the only two announcements. Hoping this was not the 'good news' email to be followed by another one with enhancements.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Despite the possibility (likelihood?) that the other shoe will drop with enhancements, I appreciated the news of lower re-qualification being applicable to any of the *G tiers. While I've never selected the lower requalification benefit, it's nice to see some added flexibility.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Oops, I was wrong, so I deleted my message.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Nov 6, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma

I sincerely hope your speculation re how early requalification will work matches AC’s intention. My personal experience suggests otherwise. They refused to allow my early requalification benefit (selected) to apply to a lower status. An appeal was unsuccessful.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:59 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I sincerely hope your speculation re how early requalification will work matches AC’s intention. My personal experience suggests otherwise. They refused to allow my early requalification benefit (selected) to apply to a lower status. An appeal was unsuccessful.
Did you get the e-mail? The relevant text is "Designed to help you get closer to the status you want, the Lower Requalification Select Privilege will now apply to all eligible tiers, regardless of the status level at which it was selected." It was always clear that what you were hoping for wasn't the way it worked, so no surprise that you were rejected, but it seems pretty clear to me that they're changing it.
RangerNS, canadiancow and Jebby_ca like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy lifetime platinum elite
Question regarding qualifying for Altitude. I searched threads and didn't find anything. I will end up with 34 segments in 2018 because of a cancelled leg of a trip by AC. That one flight would have taken me to 35. I am not sure who to contact at AC. Calling in the general number is a long painful process.I am not looking for charity from AC but they did cancel the flight with no reason given. Any help in finding the right contact would be appreciated.
eracerblue likes this.

Last edited by theplug; Nov 7, 2018 at 9:24 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How's your AQD?

Being short 1 AQS isn't too bad if you exceed the required AQD, but the only sure way to get E35K is to fly another segment.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:52 am

Did you get the e-mail? The relevant text is "Designed to help you get closer to the status you want, the Lower Requalification Select Privilege will now apply to all eligible tiers, regardless of the status level at which it was selected." It was always clear that what you were hoping for wasn't the way it worked, so no surprise that you were rejected, but it seems pretty clear to me that they're changing it.
Got the email. In re-reading my post, perhaps I wasn’t clear enough.

Some time ago, I selected “lower requalification” as a priveledge. I did not expect to maintain my existing status for the coming year based on projected flying plans. The wording on “select privileges” was unclear — at least to me at that time. I consulted with AC before picking this privilege. They did not indicate it wouldn’t apply to one status level down and agreed that the wording needed to be improved. Of course, towards the end of that benefit year, and despite subsequent conversation with AC, I came to understand it did not apply to the following year's requalification for status/privileges. Fortunately, I ended up fly slightly more than the full mileage requirement for status.

Tthe wording you quote from the email is much improved. It’s also a good move on AC’s part. I suspect, the number caught by this is not huge. Although, I once flew with someone who flew over 99000 (but not 1K) in a calendar year —frequent transcontinental flights for work. AC refused to grant super elite status. She was pretty upset.

Fortunately, none of this is a problem for me anymore.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bartolo

Tthe wording you quote from the email is much improved. It’s also a good move on AC’s part. I suspect, the number caught by this is not huge. Although, I once flew with someone who flew over 99000 (but not 1K) in a calendar year —frequent transcontinental flights for work. AC refused to grant super elite status. She was pretty upset.
Sounds like a case of not near enough AQD.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
My first full year of flying, on OPM I got 94 segments. Called in early December to ask if I could straight up buy one. I was over $20k. They said no. So, I flew on Dec 31 to get what I needed.

Asking to be given it did not cross my mind. I can have a reasonable discussion about what the requirements should be, but what they are is crystal clear.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RangerNS
My first full year of flying, on OPM I got 94 segments. Called in early December to ask if I could straight up buy one. I was over $20k. They said no. So, I flew on Dec 31 to get what I needed.

Asking to be given it did not cross my mind. I can have a reasonable discussion about what the requirements should be, but what they are is crystal clear.
How long ago was this (obviously within the last few years due to AQD), and how much "over" $20K were you?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
2016. And just barely, but I doubt my records from the year to give you a number.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sounds like a case of not near enough AQD.
i would have thought the same thing but this was pre AQD. She was only a few hundred miles short. We just happened to sit across from each other on a YVR-YYZ flight. I had not met her before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.