Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maximizing AC YVR-TPE experience

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Maximizing AC YVR-TPE experience

Flying Vancouver-Taipei in January on Air Canada. Any advice on maximizing the experience? Thank you
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dnk95
Flying Vancouver-Taipei in January on Air Canada. Any advice on maximizing the experience? Thank you
What do you mean by maximizing ? Which class of service are you on ? Y, PE, J ? Are you looking for suggestions on boarding, seat selection, meals, drinks ....?
I think the best thread is the 787 thread for overall questions, PE or International J for meals feedback. Otherwise ask away and someone here will be happy to respond incl me.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maximizing the experience? Have some champagne and then sleep as much as you can.

Be prepared for some delay on the return.
foreigncontent likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
The only way for me to 'maximize' the experience on any TPAC is to sleep the right amount, at the right times so I can continue on the following days with no jet lag whatsoever. If i have not accomplished that, then I don't feel that I maximized.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Have a dumpling noodle soup snack mid flight!
Plumber likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all! We are in J class. Mostly need help for seat selection and meals.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Thank you all! We are in J class. Mostly need help for seat selection and meals.
How many are you?

We prefer to sit one in front of the other (ie 'A' seats)...but others prefer beside each other in the middle aisle (D/G seats).

As for meal, the month before you travel you can find the meal selection here:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-service.html

The meal selection priority will be given to SE members. If you are not SE, it is sometimes a good idea to have a 2nd choice ready.

If this is your first time in Signature Service, eat everything, drink everything, try to get some sleep, and enjoy!!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC SE
The greatest benefit of J class is the amount of space you get (i.e. the seat that reclines into a bed). The meals are good, but easily replaceable by what you can find in an airport. The lounge is good, but you can get pretty much the same perks for $30 at any airport. So to get the greatest benefit of J class, you've got to sleep. More than anything else, that's what you've paid for. Hence, it makes sense to maximize sleep, even if it means missing a meal or missing out on any of the other services. Or that's how I approach it! I've skipped many meals just to prepare for jet lag (when going overseas) or to get over it (when returning).
CZAMFlyer and PFT like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
Fly EVA instead

Other than that, try to eat on the ground, shower in the lounge and go to bed right away once in the air, as others have mentioned.
cyralax likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Have a dumpling noodle soup snack mid flight!
I like to have this with the Dim Sum selections on the side.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
How to maximize the experience:

1) Don't worry about maximizing the experience.

2) Drop by in the lounge, maybe have a drink and a shower

3) Enjoy a few drinks pre-dinner and with your dinner, but avoid getting drunk.

4) Maximize your sleep; and possibly plan your sleep in a way that minimizes jetlag.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enjoy Taiwan...
PFT likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
lol.. .meals.. on AC? Prepare to have your experience minimized.
PFT likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
lol.. .meals.. on AC? Prepare to have your experience minimized.
Actually on our flight back from TPE a few weeks ago, and having asked, I did manage to get an OK fish, not over-reheated that time.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
This specific flight is YVR-TPE. It departs at 11:35 in the morning. If one wishes to manage jetlag, one should not sleep for several hours, especially if having lunch onboard. Enjoy the wonderful sunshine of the pacific coast. The YVR international lounge doesn't offer very much between 10:00 and 11:00 so I am usually hungry by the time I board and eat lunch onboard.
Yes, I do agree that the 18:00 departure is best managed by going to sleep a few hours after the meal service, although it is quite unhealthy to sleep within 2 hours of dining. I try to sleep by 10 pm TPE time. Dining options are not spectacular on this route.
If one really wants to be assured of a functioning seat, one should avoid the window seats. (see deflategate thread).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.