Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many toilets?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by songsc
Left and right are with respect to the direction of travel (ok, not during push back/power back). Doors are labeled as L1, L2, R1, R2, for example.

As for ships, the trick I learned was: PORT=LEFT as they both contain 4 letters.
In North American aviation, left and right are often referred to as the #1 and #2 sides. The #1 side being the side the Captain sits on (left) and #2 being the side the First Officer sits on (right). That helps avoid confusion in certain situations, such as a ground handler giving signals to a crew during pushback (the crew is facing forward, the ground handler is looking towards the tail).

But referring to the #1 and #2 sides means even less to the general travelling public than port and starboard does, so they're usually only used internally between some employees.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
In North American aviation, left and right are often referred to as the #1 and #2 sides. The #1 side being the side the Captain sits on (left) and #2 being the side the First Officer sits on (right). That helps avoid confusion in certain situations, such as a ground handler giving signals to a crew during pushback (the crew is facing forward, the ground handler is looking towards the tail).

But referring to the #1 and #2 sides means even less to the general travelling public than port and starboard does, so they're usually only used internally between some employees.
Yea engines are more commonly referred by crew members as #1 , #2 (and #3 , #4 ) rather than left, right.

What makes things more interesting is that in many cases it is possible that a pilot with four strips on each shoulder sits on the right hand side. For example, flight instructor, flight examiner, and captain substituting a first officer. This means that the person on the right can be more senior than the person on the left. Whether they will be the PIC or not is a different question.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
To me 1/2 or 1/2/3/4 left to right looking top down on plane makes sense given how most languages (ones that I can at least partially understand) all go left to right.

Either way, the question remains how many toilets to customers are required by law to operate and how frequent is this? It seems crazy that AC have a 200%+ surplus when they could just knock out half of them and fit another 10 seats in.

Other question, were the sacrosanct J (and PY/J) washrooms open to all pax?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Either way, the question remains how many toilets to customers are required by law to operate and how frequent is this? It seems crazy that AC have a 200%+ surplus when they could just knock out half of them and fit another 10 seats in.

I just did some research, this is the two most useful sources I found:

1. https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459195
Basically, there is no rule or regulation.

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_lavatory
The normally accepted ratio is 50 to 1, but this is not a rule. However, it mentions that aircraft missing ashtray is not allowed to carry passengers (2011 Jazz flight from YFC to YYZ)..
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by songsc
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_lavatory
The normally accepted ratio is 50 to 1, but this is not a rule. However, it mentions that aircraft missing ashtray is not allowed to carry passengers (2011 Jazz flight from YFC to YYZ)..
The ashtray is the last resort to void into when all lavs are inoperable.
jc94, smallmj and songsc like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:39 pm

50:1? Hmmm. I could swear at least one of the narrow bodies carrying about 70 people only has one washroom at the back (I was in J) which was especially annoying. I think at least 2 washrooms should be compulsory.

On largest longer flights I guess that could work. I do find AC isn’t too bad at over abuse of the seatbelt sign (though I have had to yeah I know at my own risk a few FAs) at least. And I understand some people are more stable than others. After all those drinks.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:24 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
The J only lav is on the left side of the plane, so it would have been inoperative. The curtain between PY and Y was drawn on the right hand side. I expect that it would have been respected as much as in any other flight (i.e. not very much).
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Bring back relief tubes which of course will need to be modified for both genders - will solve the No.1 problem 🤧

as for No.2 I better not go there as suggestion might get attention of Mod 😷

And I am making extra effort Not to draw attention in that regard
Waiting for a piece of brown ice falling from the sky.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
The J only lav is on the left side of the plane, so it would have been inoperative. The curtain between PY and Y was drawn on the right hand side. I expect that it would have been respected as much as in any other flight (i.e. not very much).
Oh yeah I guess I was thinking of the rear J ones in the planes without as obvious PY access (ie 777). If that flies that route. I guess the pilots too had to traipse back the one remaining (?) J lav on the right? Not exactly ideal for ~28 and 2 pilots plus FAs to share one (okay I guess it’s still a better ratio than Y!)

Interesting for the curtain to have made a come back! Haven’t seen that recently.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
The ashtray is the last resort to void into when all lavs are inoperable.
Ok I think that's why there was an ashtray at every single seat.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by skybluesea
maybe AC could have spare soft ear plugs on hand to be used as nose plugs?

🤢
phew .. for a minute there i thought you were going to suggest using those to plug something else to avoid the loo
skybluesea and songsc like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
In relation to this thread I think the crew referring to #1 and #2 might just get misinterpreted.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
In relation to this thread I think the crew referring to #1 and #2 might just get misinterpreted.
I believe only the #2 toilets were available.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Exact words used by the SD. And everyone correctly understood them to mean left when facing the direction of travel. A lot better than memorizing what port or starboard mean (which turns out to be "left or right when facing the direction of travel", duh).
The direction of travel is not necessarily the direction the aircraft is pointed

50:1? Hmmm. I could swear at least one of the narrow bodies carrying about 70 people only has one washroom at the back (I was in J) which was especially annoying. I think at least 2 washrooms should be compulsory.

On largest longer flights I guess that could work. I do find AC isn’t too bad at over abuse of the seatbelt sign (though I have had to yeah I know at my own risk a few FAs) at least. And I understand some people are more stable than others. After all those drinks.
The E90, E75, and CR9 all have a J lav and Y lav.

The Q400 only has one forward lav, and does not meet 50:1.

Anything smaller meets the 50:1 requirement (except some BEH, which are 18:0).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.