Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Woman says Air Canada unfairly kicked her off plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman says Air Canada unfairly kicked her off plane

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I don't know what would happen, but the end result would be 11 pax getting arrested.
For what? For speaking up for another passenger? What justification would they have?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
For what? For speaking up for another passenger? What justification would they have?
Not following the commands of the crew. And being an angry mob. One FOTSG may not be a threat to the aircraft, but an angry mob sure is.

If I was a pilot and heard that 10 PAX were fighting with my crew, however wrong my crew may be, I'd be looking for the closest highway to land on ; my cognitive load would be too high to locate my copy of Roberts let alone process any truthyness of the situation.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well if I am the captain, if 10 other passengers are telling me that my FA is being unreasonable, I would question how "truthful" my FA is about the veracity of the need to kick off one passenger. Americans are loud and bold and they will stand up when they see B.S. and call out B.S. They wouldn't put up with this bullying by the FA. Canadians on the other hand will just watch and be quiet.
Not following the commands of the crew. And being an angry mob. One FOTSG may not be a threat to the aircraft, but an angry mob sure is.

If I was a pilot and heard that 10 PAX were fighting with my crew, however wrong my crew may be, I'd be looking for the closest highway to land on ; my cognitive load would be too high to locate my copy of Roberts let alone process any truthyness of the situation.
Yup.

If 10 passengers wanted to talk to me, I'd barricade the door and land asap.
lallied likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Funny how nobody here seems to have commented upon the following from the article: He thinks video surveillance on flights would eliminate the he said-she said nature of an investigation like this one.“Having some form of surveillance would be very important, both for the passengers and for the flight attendants,” Lukacs said.

I'd be receptive to the unblinking eye only after cameras are installed in cockpits.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Whether they like it or not, front line workers with the airline are in the customer service industry. We don't truly know about the details of this event, but there is one thing I know; That FA should have taken the garbage. Full stop!
Agree on all points.

If I was a pilot and heard that 10 PAX were fighting with my crew, however wrong my crew may be, I'd be looking for the closest highway to land on......
Agree.

For reference, we can look at the videos that we taken by the pax onboard while UA pax Dr. Dao was bloodied and unconscious and being dragged up the aisle of his aircraft by those airport rent-a-thugs under orders from the crew. IIRC, we can see the faces of the pax in their seats, many were panicked, many were yelling to stop, many were filming this.

It is both absurd and sad that flying has become such that any FA can pull the "feel threatened" because a elderly pax asked to have garbage removed, and rather than find a way to de-escalate (as mentioned in posts above), we instead have a diversion, the involvement of the police, AC corporate security and the media.

It really doesn't matter now whether granny was right or wrong, or whether the FA was in a mood. I have flown with mostly amazing AC cabin crew but the few arrogant, moody, rude and pissy ones are the ones who made the long flights far worse for all of us, not just the pax, but the rest of the cabin crew team.

The fact that the police did not file charges and granny can still fly, tells me this was handled poorly by the FA and by AC. I understand why the pilots made their decision to return/land.

​​​​​​​Going forward, have all parties to this preventable mess learned anything?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: TK *G
I am just glad that I can cut back my NA travel and I have other options when flying internationally.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Well if I am the captain, if 10 other passengers are telling me that my FA is being unreasonable, I would question how "truthful" my FA is about the veracity of the need to kick off one passenger. Americans are loud and bold and they will stand up when they see B.S. and call out B.S. They wouldn't put up with this bullying by the FA. Canadians on the other hand will just watch and be quiet.
I remember a few US flights on United where the FA tore into and ripped the pax telling them point blank that anyone who did not do as she immediately commanded would be arrested on the spot and in fact she would tell the captain to stop taxiing down the runway and go back to the gate. There had been some grumbling by certain pax on issues related to a delay and she read them the riot act. They sat there meek as church mice. No one jumped up and yelled BS.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
The threshold for FA and gate/check-in agent to justify an adverse action against a customer should be raised, in favour of customers. The threshold should be similar to the threshold given to a retail store clerk (at a Hudson's Bay store for example) before they can comfront, expell, ban or call the police on a walk-in customer.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
The threshold for FA and gate/check-in agent to initiate adverse action against a customer should be loosened in favour of customers. The threshold should be similar to the threshold given to a retail store clerk (at a Hudson's Bay store for example) before they can confromt, ban or call the police on a walk-in customer.
What exactly is that threshold, in each of these 2 situations?

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Oct 12, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
What exactly is that threshold?
My idea would be, among other things: illegal behaviour, offensive language (as per Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council) and physical abuse against crew/agents/passengers. But not merely "arguing". That's how it would work in a Hudson's Bay store, no ?
lallied likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
My idea would be, among other things: illegal behaviour, offensive language (as per Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council) and physical abuse against crew/agents/passengers. But not merely "arguing". That's how it would work in a Hudson's Bay store, no ?
I don't know how it works in a department store. I also don't know whether abusive language was used in this particular case.

Now, to suggest that the bar should be moved, is a suggestion that it isn't in the right place. What is the current criteria with Air Canada?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I also don't know whether abusive language was used in this particular case.
Not according to the passenger nor eyewitness.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Not according to the passenger nor eyewitness.
Agreed, but we are given limited information. I have completed many incident investigations and you would be surprised to know how conflicting, even independant witnesses can be.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Member

In Air Canada's defence I'm sure their systems will prove the passenger was not actually on the flight.
wrp96, Bohemian1 and kenlor like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Love the click-bait headline because his last line is: "Air Canada accuses her of kicking the flight attendant, which she denies, and says she any ban on her flying the airline is not ongoing. A witness corroborates her version of events." Popcorn time for his American audience.

His opening line is a point made in this AC FT thread.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...pick-up-trash/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.