Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Non-revs offended when bin space is made for rev pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I boarded 415 late. "Late".

T-25.

I'm in 5G on a 333, so there are two columns of people using the same small bins.

4G and 4K are rouge FAs. There were a ton of non-revs on the onload list. I think 7 cleared. But this post is specifically about these two.

The FA saw me struggling to to find bin space, and started shuffling things around.

One of the rouge FAs (I'm deliberately making it impossible to identify which one, because the other seemed to want everything to quietly work itself out) complained about a bag being moved. A very clearly non-rev bag.

The movement allowed my legal carry-on to fit in a J bin. So I, as a revenue passenger, am very happy with what the crew FA did.

The rouge FA (I assume she's deadheading unless the rules have changed) also "pointed out" to the crew FA that her charging port wasn't working. Crew FA was holding a stack of newspapers, and was trying to finish her task.

She reminds me of Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl.

​​​​I've never seen deadheading uniforms behave this way.

Anyone else experience this?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Don't get me going on crew, deadheading or not, filling up the bins with their entire ….ing household while they announce that one carry-on item must be placed under the seat !
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Don't get me going on crew, deadheading or not, filling up the bins with their entire ….ing household while they announce that one carry-on item must be placed under the seat !
Fly Rapidair - happens hourly and they are the nastiest
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I boarded 415 late. "Late".

T-25.

I'm in 5G on a 333, so there are two columns of people using the same small bins.

4G and 4K are rouge FAs. There were a ton of non-revs on the onload list. I think 7 cleared. But this post is specifically about these two.

The FA saw me struggling to to find bin space, and started shuffling things around.

One of the rouge FAs (I'm deliberately making it impossible to identify which one, because the other seemed to want everything to quietly work itself out) complained about a bag being moved. A very clearly non-rev bag.

The movement allowed my legal carry-on to fit in a J bin. So I, as a revenue passenger, am very happy with what the crew FA did.

The rouge FA (I assume she's deadheading unless the rules have changed) also "pointed out" to the crew FA that her charging port wasn't working. Crew FA was holding a stack of newspapers, and was trying to finish her task.

She reminds me of Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl.

​​​​I've never seen deadheading uniforms behave this way.

Anyone else experience this?
Hopefully the SD will report and tell the FA to fly a kite (or maybe a 763).

Some people need to be a bit more appreciative of their industry discounts. I will always protect staff benefits and think it should continue, but if you're going to use it you should know it's a privilege and you're sitting next to people who have (presumably) paid thousands to sit in the same seat as you.

​​​​​​PS: Cow, I would write in. And if you think one doesn't deserve to be clumped in, then just specify it.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

The same nonrev was obnoxious on deplaning.

She blocked the galley (i.e. all the G/K seats) while waiting for something. The SD told her to get out of the way. That let me (and people behind me) exit.

But then there were a bunch of rouge FAs (can't recall if the same one was in this group) who blocked the jet bridge for no apparent reason.

Sigh.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rapidair flights,bin there , done that
Perhaps the pilot should have disembarked those rogue Rouge attendants??
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I've seen a lot of badged, but un-uniformed, supercargo recently. Most recently, flying in the extra jumpseat up front.

So far as I could tell, they actually assisted the SD in the galley. Seems a rough way to get to Toronto, but I assume that seat is free.

A uniformed rouge crewette in mainline J is a strange thing indeed. I can give them not being helpful (actually, uniformed, I can not), but they should at least GTFOofTheWay.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Let me start by being very clear that my belief when traveling for business reasons means your actions are representative of that company; irrespective of if you are "working" at that particular time.

Given that preface, the overall sentiment I get from this is that someone who is not paying for a service should be more accommodating for someone who is paying for the service. In this case, the non-rev FA should have simply realigned their bags for Cow.

But...let's turn the tables slightly. Cow did not pay* for the J cabin directly. You now have 2 people who did not pay to be in that cabin trying to use limited space. Or a situation like this arises being an eUp passenger and paid-J passenger...is the expectation then that the eUp move their bags to accommodate the paid-J passenger?

*Yes, I know he paid for a PY seat and eUpped. The eUp credits in return for the J cabin could be considered a form of payment.

Again, let me be clear that I am in no way justifying the alleged actions of the non-rev FA. I am simply adding a different scenario to see if the sentiment would be the same.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
*Yes, I know he paid for a PY seat and eUpped. The eUp credits in return for the J cabin could be considered a form of payment.
Would be, without question.

But that is irrelevant. Had AC given the seat to Cow after winning a contest, or out of compassion for some sob story... He is the customer. The staff is staff.

In uniform, these are not off duty randoms getting their entitlements. They are going to or coming from work. In uniform on company equipment. For all I care, they can wear leggings on a $0 ticket going on vacation but this was not that
arf04, maradori and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:43 pm

I also want to add kudos to the working FA for enforcing the rules. It's much easier to be the good guy towards your coworkers than to do the right thing.
wrp96, canadiancow and DNAwizard like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Maybe she was just really tired from the trip..
People can appeared more annoyed than they intended.
ilcannone likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Let me start by being very clear that my belief when traveling for business reasons means your actions are representative of that company; irrespective of if you are "working" at that particular time.

Given that preface, the overall sentiment I get from this is that someone who is not paying for a service should be more accommodating for someone who is paying for the service. In this case, the non-rev FA should have simply realigned their bags for Cow.

But...let's turn the tables slightly. Cow did not pay* for the J cabin directly. You now have 2 people who did not pay to be in that cabin trying to use limited space. Or a situation like this arises being an eUp passenger and paid-J passenger...is the expectation then that the eUp move their bags to accommodate the paid-J passenger?

Again, let me be clear that I am in no way justifying the alleged actions of the non-rev FA. I am simply adding a different scenario to see if the sentiment would be the same.
If the situation had been reversed, I'd want the working crew to do the same thing. Rearrange bags so everything fits.

This isn't a matter of one bag needing to be gate checked. A bag was moved from one bin to another.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:54 pm
alc

You sure she is really a rouge FA? Maybe she was just dressings up for a Halloween party and thought that outfit will be scary
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I appreciate the trouble the transport of personnel and their multiple bags can cause, especially on the Rapidair flights as per the reference above. There isn't enough room to carry those FAs and pilots with their multiple bags, yet they monopolize the very limited bin space. However, my experience with the AB333 is that there is more than enough room for everyone, if some people use common sense. As I was not there I won't comment on the comments of the Rouge employee. However, perhaps there is a possibility that the OP is being overly sensitive? (I am not a young girl and have never watched "gossip girl", so I have no idea of the reference.)

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Hopefully the SD will report and tell the FA to fly a kite (or maybe a 763).
Some people need to be a bit more appreciative of their industry discounts. I will always protect staff benefits and think it should continue, but if you're going to use it you should know it's a privilege and you're sitting next to people who have (presumably) paid thousands to sit in the same seat as you.

​​​​​​PS: Cow, I would write in. And if you think one doesn't deserve to be clumped in, then just specify it.
Industry discounts? A privilege? Seriously? And I mean seriously? Where have you been for say, the last 25+ years? It is not a "privilege". The personnel in uniform are usually on the job, either on their way to or way back from an assignment. We all know that they are obliged to carry their bags with them because of their circumstances. The issue is one of logistics and the airline's inability to gate check & deliver their employees bags. AC could, but that would mean having additional baggage personnel on hand to help and that costs money, so AC doesn't do it.

However, what really irks me is this arrogant, self important statement;
the overall sentiment I get from this is that someone who is not paying for a service should be more accommodating for someone who is paying for the service. In this case, the non-rev FA should have simply realigned their bags for Cow
WRONG. In lieu of monetary compensation, Air Canada provides its employees a number of services, discounts and access to transportation rights. It is not a privilege, but is in fact indirect compensation. The employees when they fly have indirectly paid for their ticket by way of their work. Instead of cash, they can have a seat. It is wrong to assume that these people do not "pay". They paid with their pension freeze. They paid with their benefit plan curtailment. And they paid with their salary caps and hostile work environment
during the worst of the layoffs.
In respect to the pax who have paid "thousands", yes, it's frustrating. As such, consider how annoyed I am when I pay $6,000 on my TPAC and some odious Super Elite using coupons to upgrade is given his/her meal choice before me. I paid thousands and Mr. SE paid peanuts or rather his/her employer paid peanuts. The SE has a concierge at his/her beck and call, but even though I paid for J, Air Canada will never EVER share the concierge contact with me or any other non Super Elite. Where do we draw the line on the special treatment of some people?
I certainly understand that some of the personnel sitting in the cabin can be jerks. We have all seen it. However, there isn't much that they can do to "accommodate" if their bags are too big to fit under a seat, or they are obliged to carry their bags with them. Go after Air Canada for its inability to efficiently collect and then deliver gate check bags at the gate. They can barely manage to provide a wheelchair or a child's stroller. However. give the personnel a break when they are sitting in uniform.
quantumofforce and liat2768 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
One thing that occurred to me while I was killing time waiting for someone at YVR international arrival was that lots of other airlines issue much smaller luggage to their cabin crew. The crew (working or not) bags displacing passenger bags issue would come up a lot less often on AC if their bags were more in line with industry norms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.