Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC to drop Harrisburg, Rochester and Syracuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC to drop Harrisburg, Rochester and Syracuse

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Air Georgian closing its YYZ B1900 base
This. I’d heard about this some time ago but hadn’t seen the changes in any timetables or seen any official announcements.

Due to the base closure I can only assume that the routes wouldn’t have been profitable to operate with DH1/3 so they got axed.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by marke190
Where will the YYZ based BEHs go? Are they going to be transferred to the YYC base or retired altogether? Or maybe EVAS will take them
Likely sold. I don’t think they’re really needed out west since 1 of the 4 YYC BEH routes (YQF) is also being axed.
marke190 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOWisHome
Recently (well I guess at least a year now) AC had them remove all of the AC markings and Logos off of the B1900s. So one could see the "Writing taken off the wall????" that they wanted those out.
EVAS actually has at least one plane painted in their own EVAS colour scheme now, which I flew on in July. C-GAAT: https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/5/71196_1524998551.jpg

Originally Posted by yyznomad
IIRC there was a related thread to what you're alluding to, but the below was what I could find so far...
​​​​​​​There was definitely a bunch of discussion about it in the thread about the new AC livery.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

​​​​​​​There was definitely a bunch of discussion about it in the thread about the new AC livery.
Ah yes! That one.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Dammit. Just started travelling to MDT more often. Really don't want to go through ORD in the winter for this... (And I'll miss the amazing fish & chips in Phillips in the airport!)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I once flew ROC-YYZ-LHR round trip, because it was half price of YOW-LHR-YOW or YUL-LHR-YUL or YYZ-LHR-YYZ.

With a family of 5, the savings were too large to ignore.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Air Georgian closing its YYZ B1900 base, and the YGK and YZR flights will be operated by Jazz Dash 8s. Question is were these routes no longer profitable, or did AC want to get the GGN Beechcraft out of the YYZ hub?
This is the best news I've seen on FT in a long time!!!!!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
Originally Posted by Plumber
I once flew ROC-YYZ-LHR round trip, because it was half price of YOW-LHR-YOW or YUL-LHR-YUL or YYZ-LHR-YYZ.

With a family of 5, the savings were too large to ignore.
Scheer curiosity, what do you say at the border/Immigration when doing a route like that?

I take it you live in our side of the border.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Swarez
Scheer curiosity, what do you say at the border/Immigration when doing a route like that?

I take it you live in our side of the border.
I live in YOW.
A simple explanation of significant cost savings was the only explanation that was required at the border.

The worst part came after the flight back to ROC after the cnx in YYZ. We had a 4 hour drive home from ROC, and due to being on UK time, everybody was asleep within the first 15 minutes of the drive, leaving me alone to try and stay awake!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Plumber
I live in YOW.
A simple explanation of significant cost savings was the only explanation that was required at the border.

The worst part came after the flight back to ROC after the cnx in YYZ. We had a 4 hour drive home from ROC, and due to being on UK time, everybody was asleep within the first 15 minutes of the drive, leaving me alone to try and stay awake!

Lol been there

When we lived in YOW, it was SYR that we flew out of on US Airways and United to Florida and Vancouver. On those late flights in, everyone was asleep and I was driving on my own!

Border was never an issue, the stupid tolls on all of the bridge crossings in Ontario always bugged me though!
Plumber likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:40 am

Sarnia is going from as many as 4 a day (up until Oct 31) operated by mostly BEH, to 2 a day starting Nov 1 operated by DH8-100s

Actually looking at this week it's operated by as many as 5 flights a day (1 DH8-100 and 4 BEH)

Last edited by yyz_atc_qq; Oct 3, 2018 at 9:41 am Reason: update number of flights
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
There has to be more to the story. Air Georgian can't keep an entire fleet of Beechcraft aircraft for just three routes (YYCYQL YYCYXH YYCYXC). Either YYC is getting a bunch more regional flying (come on YYCGEG - I know, wishful thinking) or the YYC routes are at risk of either being cut or transferring back to Jazz on the Dash-8.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by YYC009
There has to be more to the story. Air Georgian can't keep an entire fleet of Beechcraft aircraft for just three routes (YYCYQL YYCYXH YYCYXC). Either YYC is getting a bunch more regional flying (come on YYCGEG - I know, wishful thinking) or the YYC routes are at risk of either being cut or transferring back to Jazz on the Dash-8.
I spoke to the crew of a YZR-YYZ flight yesterday and asked what's happening to the aircraft. They said they were "ALL" going to Calgary. Some of the pilots are moving with the planes, and others are moving onwards. I asked if they were moving "upwards", and the response was.... some. Some up, some on.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I spoke to the crew of a YZR-YYZ flight yesterday and asked what's happening to the aircraft. They said they were "ALL" going to Calgary. Some of the pilots are moving with the planes, and others are moving onwards. I asked if they were moving "upwards", and the response was.... some. Some up, some on.
So you think there will be more BEH flying ex-YYC? New routes, like YLL, YXS, YYF, GEG? Hard to believe, as they just cut YQF. I don't think YXH/YXC/YQL need more frequencies (well, maybe YQL). Or are they coming west to takeover QK flying and offer more frequency on certain routes? Actually, I can't see that happening. Unless we are being funny and they will offer a shuttle service between YYC and YEG with a BEH operating every half hour, lol.

The other thing I was thinking is that they would just get rid of the Beechcraft altogether... unless your pilot friend is correct.

Wait and see I guess.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by YYC009
unless your pilot friend is correct.
Not friend. Just happened to be the crew operating the flight I was working at the time. Asked if they knew where the planes were going and that was the answer I got.

I've asked similar questions before. Sometimes I get an honest "I don't know", or "We don't know".

This time there was no hesitation in the response. Based on this I feel it's reasonably certain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.