Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed Cabin Award

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Mixed Cabin Award

I’m currently booked on a mixed cabin itinerary (MSY-YYZ-EZE) with the shorter route in economy. I booked with United miles if that will make a difference. From everything I’ve read, the only surefire way to get bumped to business class on the first flight would be if award space became available. I’ve been checking religiously and no luck (seems they only have two award seats available on the flight and both are booked). My flight is 4 weeks away, any chance additional award space opens up between now and then? If not, do I have any chance of getting on an upgrade list (those two award tickets seem to be the only tickets sold in business class, so there may be space). Who would I ask to get on a list - gate agent on the day of the flight?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago: a multi-segment business-or-higher class reward where the first (short) leg was in Y. Air Canada added "I" inventory (Business - Award & Alliance Partner Upgrades) earlier this week and I was able to switch into the business class cabin with a simple phone call.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think UA rewards are eligible for upgrade standby on AC flights.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There's no "list" to get on if you're booked on a 016 ticket.

If I space opens up before departure, call United and get moved up. Otherwise, you're sitting in Y (or paying an LMU at check-in).
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:49 pm

No waitlisting into the J cabin on non-AC reward tickets. You'll sit in the class of service you're confirmed in.

If it was an AC/AP redemption, the chances of waitlisting working would probably be pretty high if you couldn't get it confirmed prior to flight time. But its not. So just keep an eye on inventory.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago: a multi-segment business-or-higher class reward where the first (short) leg was in Y. Air Canada added "I" inventory (Business - Award & Alliance Partner Upgrades) earlier this week and I was able to switch into the business class cabin with a simple phone call.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think UA rewards are eligible for upgrade standby on AC flights.
How long before your flight did they add inventory?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mrjbrooks
How long before your flight did they add inventory?
Just under 23 days before departure.
mrjbrooks likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:47 am

If I book a Market Fare mixed cabin, can you upgrade the Economy leg to Business Class? Or is that upgrade only eligible on Fixed Miles redemptions?
Lancelot likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by hawk99
If I book a Market Fare mixed cabin, can you upgrade the Economy leg to Business Class? Or is that upgrade only eligible on Fixed Miles redemptions?
Fixed mileage redemptions are ticketed on one single fare, so even your Y segments will have the "I fare" associated with the segment coupon, which entitles you to be seated in the cabin you're ticketed in.

The only possibilities of a mixed cabin market fare award are:
1) There is no J cabin for the segment you are ticketed in Y (this one is obvious); or
2) There is a fare break for your routing.

The second one is less obvious, let me explain: imagine you trying to fly YYT-YYZ-YOW, but a through J fare only has space in C/D/J and no P/Z spaces anymore (due to married segment logic). The market fare for this all J itinerary would require insane amount of miles. You happen to find an itinerary that puts you in Y for the YYT-YYZ segment and then J in the YYZ-YOW segment that costs only half the miles compared to the all J itinerary. This is because your YYT-YYZ portion is ticketed in the Standard fare class and your YYZ-YOW segment ticketed in discounted J class. The fare is broken and your YYT-YYZ has an economy fare basis associated with its coupon while your YYZ-YOW segment has a business fare basis associated with its coupon. As a result, even if there are spaces available in J for your YYT-YYZ segment on the day of the flight, you cannot upgrade to J cabin without using one of the upgrade instruments (bid upgrade, LMU, eUp with co-pay, etc).

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82
Fixed mileage redemptions are ticketed on one single fare, so even your Y segments will have the "I fare" associated with the segment coupon, which entitles you to be seated in the cabin you're ticketed in.
No they are not. Book YXU-YYZ-SFO as a P fare, and YXU-YYZ will be booked in M class with a P fare basis. If they upgauge, you can call in and get moved into P space.

Book YOW-YYZ-SFO as a business reward when YOW-YYZ is I0, and it books into X class with a fare basis of XBP00. Or in other words, you're ticketed in Y.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:03 am

So the simple answer is No?

The only possibilities of a mixed cabin market fare award are:
1) There is no J cabin for the segment you are ticketed in Y (this one is obvious); or
2) There is a fare break for your routing.

The second one is less obvious, let me explain: imagine you trying to fly YYT-YYZ-YOW, but a through J fare only has space in C/D/J and no P/Z spaces anymore (due to married segment logic). The market fare for this all J itinerary would require insane amount of miles. You happen to find an itinerary that puts you in Y for the YYT-YYZ segment and then J in the YYZ-YOW segment that costs only half the miles compared to the all J itinerary. This is because your YYT-YYZ portion is ticketed in the Standard fare class and your YYZ-YOW segment ticketed in discounted J class. The fare is broken and your YYT-YYZ has an economy fare basis associated with its coupon while your YYZ-YOW segment has a business fare basis associated with its coupon. As a result, even if there are spaces available in J for your YYT-YYZ segment on the day of the flight, you cannot upgrade to J cabin without using one of the upgrade instruments (bid upgrade, LMU, eUp with co-pay, etc).

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by hawk99
So the simple answer is No?
That's correct.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No they are not. Book YXU-YYZ-SFO as a P fare, and YXU-YYZ will be booked in M class with a P fare basis. If they upgauge, you can call in and get moved into P space.

Book YOW-YYZ-SFO as a business reward when YOW-YYZ is I0, and it books into X class with a fare basis of XBP00. Or in other words, you're ticketed in Y.
I wanted to verify your claim so I waited until my mini-RTW was ticketed and I looked it up with Saudia. My itinerary has segments that could only be ticketed in Y due to non-existent IKK space or airlines haven't released the J award space. Those segments show fare class X but fare basis IBP00/PARTNER, so the fare basis associated with the segment's coupon is "business I fare", which is the reason why if an "I space" is released on that flight prior to airport control I can call in and have my ticket re-issued to have that segment put in J, since my fare allows such.

Don't take my word for it though, next time you book a fixed mileage J award itinerary and have segments in Y, you can verify for yourself.

Last edited by YYT82; Aug 31, 2018 at 7:19 pm
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:15 pm

I wanted to verify your claim so I waited until my mini-RTW was ticketed and I looked it up with Saudia. My itinerary has segments that could only be ticketed in Y due to non-existent IKK space or airlines haven't released the J award space. Those segments show fare class X but fare basis IBP00/PARTNER, so the fare basis associated with the segment's coupon is "business I fare", which is the reason why if an "I space" is released on that flight prior to airport control I can call in and have my ticket re-issued to have that segment put in J, since my fare allows such.

Don't take my word for it though, next time you book a fixed mileage J award itinerary and have segments in Y, you can verify for yourself.
I have checked numerous bookings.

Did you make any changes to that booking, or was it always ticketed that way?

Here's my only current mixed cabin booking.

This matches every mixed cabin booking I've ever made through Aeroplan.

My last first class booking had a few OBP00, but the majority of the segments were IBP00.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:27 pm

@canadiancow, mine was ticketed that way, no changes were made to it. Regarding your first class tickets with IBP00 fare basis, would it be due to the segments in question not having first class cabins? As an example, I had a ticket that was booked in J all the way through except for YYT-LHR as the B7M8 only has PY. That segment's coupon has N fare basis associated with it as it was already the highest available cabin after J.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:30 pm

That would make sense for those, but the screenshot I showed you has a J cabin on that segment, and that's my much more common experience. I book AC, confirmed in Y, and the fare basis code is XBP00 or XYBP00, even though there's a J cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.