Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Luggage allowance/charges on mixed J/Y reward with partners?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage allowance/charges on mixed J/Y reward with partners?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Question Luggage allowance/charges on mixed J/Y reward with partners?

I have a J Aeroplan reward with 2 Y segments that start legs on the journey (after an overnight connection and after a stop-over), and am wondering if anyone has practical experience on how the luggage allowance/charges are handled?

Details:

- we depart YYZ (after an overnight connection) for ORD on UA seated in Y (the plane has a J cabin, but we do not have seats in J, but will keep checking periodically and get Aeroplan to move us up if reward seats become available in J), and connect to IST and onwards on TK seated in J -- will United charge me for our luggage and enforce a 50lbs limit instead of the 2x70lbs complimentary I should be allowed as per the TK connecting flight?

- we depart DBV (after a stop-over) for ATH on OU seated in Y (the plane only has Y) -- will Croatian charge me for our luggage and enforce a 50lbs limit? We are stopping in ATH, so there is no connecting flight on this segment.

The Aeroplan agent cautioned that we could/would be charged at check-in on these 2 segments; however, on the Itinerary/Receipt PDF I received from Aeroplan, in the Baggage Information section, it specifically says "Air Canada baggage rules apply for flight(s)", and lists the UA and OU flights in the lists (well, every flight in the itinerary is listed in one of the two lists, one for outbound and one for return), and says "1st bag Complimentary", "2nd bag Complimentary", and "Max weight per bag 32KG (70 lb)"
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The agent has no idea what he is talking about. Your e-ticket receipt is correct and complies with US law which provides both:
#1 - The allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to the entire ticket.
#2 - The e-ticket receipt must show the baggage allowance and charges for at least the first two bags.

In this case, because you are connecting at ORD, you are travelling YYZ-IST and your ticket is likely issued on AC stock. Thus, the AC allowance applies and that is as set forth on your e-ticket receipt.

Both UA and TK, as *A carriers, will see that allowance when you check in. Nonetheless, you should bring a paper copy of the e-ticket receipt with you on the off chance that something goes sideways which it rarely does.

Calling when you already have written confirmation simply increases the risk of AP screwing things up.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:53 pm

Hi, I suggest you can use this app for situations like this esp. with interline connections. (Disclaimer it is my app), so moderator can feel free to delete it. However posting it anyways..as it will be useful in this case. Happy to check it out myself if you can share your itinerary details.

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yetech.inweigh

iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inwe...426365302?mt=8
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I have done multiple AP reward tickets with J and Y seats and with multiple *A airlines, I have never been charged for baggage except the one time when I went YVR - YYZ in J and then YYZ - LGA in Y and AC agent wanted to charge me in YYZ. I showed them my eticket which showed by J booking to shut them up.....
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Marriott Rewards Platinum
If you view the itinerary using the UA locator on United.com, it will display the baggage/weight allowance for the intinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.