Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Mixed PE/J Reward - Upgrading PE leg at the Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive

Hi everyone,

I currently have a pair of mixed rewards tickets, with PE (N) on the outbound, and J for the return (YYZ-YVR-YYZ). The premium economy leg is booked as a priority reward, but the entire trip only charged 50K x 2 points (100K). My understanding is that it is not possible to E-Upgrade the PE leg, as an Aeroplan reward booked into N - only Aeroplan X fares are eligible.

However, I'm wondering if it is possible to be added at the airport to the J onload/upgrade list (J is pretty wide open with ~30 seats unassigned, J9), like you can from a basic mixed Y/J reward. Does anyone know if this is possible, or have experience with this?

Thanks a ton!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes, you can.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks canadiancow! You are a living encyclopedia (meant as a compliment) haha.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:10 pm

The Priority Award leg may be internally constituted with different fare rules than a standard redemption which isn't waitlist eligible. A variation on this came up in another thread. Doesn't hurt to ask though -- nothing ventured nothing gained.

Of course all the standard caveats of trying to travel on an AP ticket when not confirmed in a higher class of service apply, ie: they can LMU all the seats, even for trivially cheap, and you'll be left at the gate out of luck.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
The Priority Award leg may be internally constituted with different fare rules than a standard redemption which isn't waitlist eligible. A variation on this came up in another thread. Doesn't hurt to ask though -- nothing ventured nothing gained.

Of course all the standard caveats of trying to travel on an AP ticket when not confirmed in a higher class of service apply, ie: they can LMU all the seats, even for trivially cheap, and you'll be left at the gate out of luck.
If that's the case then I'm inclined to downgrade my ticket to an economy one - there's a ton of inventory. What would you do?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:25 pm

That was my thread, where you made up your own rules to attempt to explain a situation that I clarified through the concierge desk and a senior official at AC. I posted it as a warning, not because I didn't understand what happened.

Originally Posted by chekmanirov
If that's the case then I'm inclined to downgrade my ticket to an economy one - there's a ton of inventory. What would you do?
Ignore pitz and keep it the way it is. Being confirmed in PY will place you way higher on the list than being confirmed in Y.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:28 pm

Have any other travel in your schedule? YVR-YYZ isn't really great of a stand-alone redemption, but if you could tag, for example, a Florida leg onto it, or even up to Northern BC or California on the other end, that increases the value proposition considerably.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Hi everyone,

I currently have a pair of mixed rewards tickets, with PE (N) on the outbound, and J for the return (YYZ-YVR-YYZ). The premium economy leg is booked as a priority reward, but the entire trip only charged 50K x 2 points (100K). My understanding is that it is not possible to E-Upgrade the PE leg, as an Aeroplan reward booked into N - only Aeroplan X fares are eligible.

However, I'm wondering if it is possible to be added at the airport to the J onload/upgrade list (J is pretty wide open with ~30 seats unassigned, J9), like you can from a basic mixed Y/J reward. Does anyone know if this is possible, or have experience with this?

Thanks a ton!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, you can.
I can confirm this as well. Flew with a friend who was on a mixed reward last year; he was not in J on the outbound, so I asked the MLL staff if they could put him on the list given that his ticket was a J redemption. They did some checking, confirmed as much, and voila he was number one on the list and he got a J seat.

This was a YYZ YVR flight.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That was my thread, where you made up your own rules to attempt to explain a situation that I clarified through the concierge desk and a senior official at AC. I posted it as a warning, not because I didn't understand what happened.
Didn't make anything up. It was pretty clear in that instance that the fare rules applicable to an IKK redemption were different from that of an standard "Classic" AP redemption which allows for waitlisting. Fare rules are defined by the ticket itself, not by the booking code or class of service.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I can confirm this as well. Flew with a friend who was on a mixed reward last year; he was not in J on the outbound, so I asked the MLL staff if they could put him on the list given that his ticket was a J redemption. They did some checking, confirmed as much, and voila he was number one on the list and he got a J seat.
This was a YYZ YVR flight.
A few posters have claimed recently that, on the waitlist (and not the upgrade list), they've not had that great of luck. The assertion that an AP ticket puts one at the top of the list has come under significant challenge. On YYZ-YVR, might be equipment dependant as well, ie: ppl will use e-upgrades and paid LMU's for the lie-flats on the widebodies, but domestic J on the A32x or 737's, bleh.

Lie-flats on the widebodies are also in demand for connecting to the Asia/Australia flights. Domestic J narrowbodies, not so much.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
A few posters have claimed recently that, on the waitlist (and not the upgrade list), they've not had that great of luck. The assertion that an AP ticket puts one at the top of the list has come under significant challenge. On YYZ-YVR, might be equipment dependant as well, ie: ppl will use e-upgrades and paid LMU's for the lie-flats on the widebodies, but domestic J on the A32x or 737's, bleh.

Lie-flats on the widebodies are also in demand for connecting to the Asia/Australia flights. Domestic J narrowbodies, not so much.
I was only offering a data point based on my experience that matched cow's "Yes you can" response to the OP.
This was for a YYZ YVR on a DreamCabin widebody. This was with another FTer (recently a bit dormant), so I'll let them chime in if they feel so inclined to.

I don't disagree that LMUs and bids and other upgrade devices could severely limit anyone on a mixed reward shot at J seat. But I am saying that I've successfully executed this very thing (on behalf of another flyer, to the top of the list).

Last edited by yyznomad; Sep 12, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:02 pm

Well, without a status, on a business class classic Aeroplan redemption confirmed into PY on the YVR-YYZ leg, I appeared close to the BOTTOM (not the top) on the "upgrade" list (not "stanby" list). Many cleared ahead of me, including people with status confirmed in economy, but I remained in PY.

If you have status, your chances may be higher, since it appears that in real life, the upgrade works by status first, then by cabin.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by echino
Well, without a status, on a business class classic Aeroplan redemption confirmed into PY on the YVR-YYZ leg, I appeared close to the BOTTOM (not the top) on the "upgrade" list (not "stanby" list). Many cleared ahead of me, including people with status confirmed in economy, but I remained in PY.

If you have status, your chances may be higher, since it appears that in real life, the upgrade works by status first, then by cabin.
Which steps did you take to add yourself to the list?

For my experience above, I spoke to an MLL agent and didn't try this at check-in or elsewhere.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:22 pm

Went through this situation last week on a reward booking. When my trip is complete I’ll have a few questions as I think something got messed up at the gate but don’t have time to get into it now...

Anyways, my dad (non-status) was confirmed in N on YYZ-LHR and I (an SE) was in Y. Phoned concierge (as email wasn’t responded to after several hours) to have us added to the list. My dad was #1 on the list and I was #2. Someone else checked in 2-3 hours before the flight (assume status pax) which bumped my dad back to #2.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Went through this situation last week on a reward booking. When my trip is complete I’ll have a few questions as I think something got messed up at the gate but don’t have time to get into it now...

Anyways, my dad (non-status) was confirmed in N on YYZ-LHR and I (an SE) was in Y. Phoned concierge (as email wasn’t responded to after several hours) to have us added to the list. My dad was #1 on the list and I was #2 . Someone else checked in 2-3 hours before the flight (assume status pax) which bumped my dad back to #2 .
Cabin, status, fare class. I'd expect your dad to be above you.

Anyone else with status, booked in PY, would have been above him.

So unless they weren't processed in the order 1 2 3, I don't see anything wrong with your scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.