Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan account expiry - do 1000 point donations count as activity?

Aeroplan account expiry - do 1000 point donations count as activity?

Old Sep 6, 18, 11:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: YYC / random hotel in YYZ
Programs: AC*E - PC Plat - Carlson Gold - National E/E
Posts: 710
Aeroplan account expiry - do 1000 point donations count as activity?

As title says, we have one account set to expire in a few days that has about 100K points in it... can we gift 1K to one of the charities as a donation and have that count as activity? Website isn't exactly clear.

curious if anyone has done this
jazzsax is offline  
Old Sep 7, 18, 7:39 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SEMM
Posts: 1,379
Originally Posted by jazzsax View Post
As title says, we have one account set to expire in a few days that has about 100K points in it... can we gift 1K to one of the charities as a donation and have that count as activity? Website isn't exactly clear.

curious if anyone has done this
Cheaper to go and buy a pack of screws at Home Hardware maybe?
Geoflying is offline  
Old Sep 7, 18, 7:47 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: AC
Posts: 2,167
Originally Posted by jazzsax View Post
As title says, we have one account set to expire in a few days that has about 100K points in it... can we gift 1K to one of the charities as a donation and have that count as activity? Website isn't exactly clear.

curious if anyone has done this
Yes, and yes.
longtimeflyin is offline  
Old Sep 7, 18, 8:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,562
Originally Posted by Geoflying View Post
Cheaper to go and buy a pack of screws at Home Hardware maybe?
I believe these activities can take a while to post is my only concern (assuming the OP has a AP partner close by). Not sure how long it takes on say amazon but Esso points would take “several days”
jc94 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 18, 8:49 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Posts: 585
This is timely, as my spouse got the account expiry email yesterday. Esso was always the go to option, but I guess I will be buying screws this weekend.
laidback71 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 18, 12:07 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SEMM
Posts: 1,379
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
I believe these activities can take a while to post is my only concern (assuming the OP has a AP partner close by). Not sure how long it takes on say amazon but Esso points would take “several days”
Most of my Home Hardware purchases have gone through to AP much faster than AC flights - usually next day.
jc94 likes this.
Geoflying is offline  
Old Sep 7, 18, 12:27 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: AC, ANZ, MH
Posts: 24
got eStore credit for purchase on Amazon.ca in about 5 days
foreigncontent is offline  
Old Sep 7, 18, 1:41 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: YYC / random hotel in YYZ
Programs: AC*E - PC Plat - Carlson Gold - National E/E
Posts: 710
I don't have 5 days, I have 3. LOL
jazzsax is offline  
Old Sep 7, 18, 8:39 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West
Posts: 3,333
Do all of the above suggestions, nothing to lose other than 100k if you don't.
1Newflyer is offline  
Old Sep 8, 18, 5:38 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: AC, ANZ, MH
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by jazzsax View Post
I don't have 5 days, I have 3. LOL
my points had a retro date, so not sure if that works.it only gave me 11.8 months until lapse, so if it works that way should be same.

or find someone with Amex MR points, give them 20$ to transfer you 1000 points
foreigncontent is offline  
Old Sep 9, 18, 8:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,616
I believe ESSO is no longer an Aeroplan option now as they switched to PC Optimum since May?

but donation works if all other options are too tight for deadline
jerryhung is offline  
Old Sep 9, 18, 8:37 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,226
Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
I believe ESSO is no longer an Aeroplan option now as they switched to PC Optimum since May?
Correct. May 31, 2018.

No more AeroPlan Miles with ESSO

Aeroplan Esso points
yyznomad is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 7:42 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by Geoflying View Post
Most of my Home Hardware purchases have gone through to AP much faster than AC flights - usually next day.
They sure do. Small purchase made Saturday afternoon, just checked the account this morning and they were posted. Less than 48 hours!
laidback71 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 7:45 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,226
Originally Posted by laidback71 View Post
They sure do. Small purchase made Saturday afternoon, just checked the account this morning and they were posted. Less than 48 hours!
Good to know.

Buy screws to not get screwed.
Dolphin2 likes this.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:30 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Good to know.

Buy screws to not get screwed.
Nailed it!
laidback71 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: