Wiki Posts
Search

Thank you YHZ MLL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Thank you YHZ MLL

I thought I'd share this with the forum.

Is there still an AC rep who monitors this thread?

So, on Sunday, August 26th I was scheduled to fly home to Montreal on AC-671 (the 7pm).
I decided to try my luck and go to the airport in the morning with my buddy who was off to YYZ, with the goal of attempting to get onto AC-663 (the 11am) to YUL.

At check-in, and at the priority counter no less, the agent informs me that 1) she cannot put me on standby because "We don't do standby in Halifax" (Uhm, ...??) & 2) that she couldn't even check me in because it was more than 12 hours before the flight (so I checked in on the app in front of her to prove her wrong...)

Anyways, after a less than positive interaction with this employee, I proceed through security & up to the lounge to have a bite & a much-needed coffee.

After a couple coffees and a bowl of raisin bran (I've been spoiled by the MLL's in YUL/YYZ, etc.. with the hot buffets..) I went up the gate lounge agent and explained to her that I'd like to try and get home earlier and if there was any way she could put me on standby for an earlier flight? She was so nice and helpful. After a quick phone call, she said that she'd listed me for AC-663. She did mention that the flight was oversold and that while I did have a chance, it would be slim.
Well, I headed out to gate 22 eventually and lo-and-behold, they call me to the podium and hand me a boarding pass with a seat!
I was one happy, albeit exhausted camper.

Now, I know that nobody acted like a hero in this story, but it's really a story of contrasts.
One employee was so uneducated and unwilling to help. While the other knew her stuff & was willing to make a quick phone call to confirm something and try to help me out. The lounge agent was also just a very pleasant woman to chat with and pass some time whith while waiting for my flight.

Anyways, a big thank you to the MLL agent who was working the morning shift in YHZ on Sunday, August 26th, you made my day young lady!
Queen B, Diabeetus and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
At check-in, and at the priority counter no less, the agent informs me that 1) she cannot put me on standby because "We don't do standby in Halifax" (Uhm, ...??) & 2) that she couldn't even check me in because it was more than 12 hours before the flight (so I checked in on the app in front of her to prove her wrong...)
The only thing you proved to her is you can check in on the app more than 12 hours ahead of departure. The same time frames don't apply at the airport. eg: Kiosk check in is up to 12 hours before. The "we don't do standby at Halifax" is bizarre & inexcusable assuming your fare allowed standby.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Aug 28, 2018 at 9:40 am
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: TK *G
I think "We don't do standby in Halifax" is what need to be reported to AC.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I see how things are now. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30131006-post518.html
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
That's quite interesting!

I was FAR,R on the list.

Originally was #1 , then moved down to 7, somehow still got the seat. 14C.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The only thing you proved to her is you can check in on the app more than 12 hours ahead of departure. The same time frames don't apply at the airport. eg: Kiosk check in is up to 12 hours before. The "we don't do standby at Halifax" is bizarre & inexcusable assuming your fare allowed standby.
Agreed.

I've heard the standby crap at YQB too.

I only did it in person once on a CO fare this year, at a YHZ gate, but the GA had no issue processing 7 of us.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Just to confirm, as I don't know you, did you accidentally upset the agent before asking about standby? I'm not saying that would make it alright or even that it happened ... But if you had argued about the OLCI aspect which can indeed not be done at the airport (except on a mobile device) > 12 hours before the flight they might have felt like being difficult. Or they were just incompetent / poorly trained / new (etc...)

Various people from AC lurk on this forum and read some threads, probably not all. Most no longer post, the only one that springs to mind is a SD from YYZ.

I would write in, even if you don't want/can't use a 5% off code we have to maintain our infinite hope that agents like this may be one day reminded of the rules, and that being at the airport doesn't make them always right.
RangerNS and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
Just to confirm, as I don't know you, did you accidentally upset the agent before asking about standby? I'm not saying that would make it alright or even that it happened ... But if you had argued about the OLCI aspect which can indeed not be done at the airport (except on a mobile device) > 12 hours before the flight they might have felt like being difficult. Or they were just incompetent / poorly trained / new (etc...)

Various people from AC lurk on this forum and read some threads, probably not all. Most no longer post, the only one that springs to mind is a SD from YYZ.

I would write in, even if you don't want/can't use a 5% off code we have to maintain our infinite hope that agents like this may be one day reminded of the rules, and that being at the airport doesn't make them always right.
Nah, there's no way I could have pissed off the check-in agent. I was, as I always am, easy going and cordial. Even jovial. Probably the easiest priority lane passenger of the day.

I think she was just poorly trained.

I'll write in, why not.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:45 pm

Nah, there's no way I could have pissed off the check-in agent. I was, as I always am, easy going and cordial. Even jovial. Probably the easiest priority lane passenger of the day.

I think she was just poorly trained.

I'll write in, why not.
Fair enough, I just wanted to ask the question. Consistent inconsistency seems to be AC 101 I often wonder if they provide more than a mornings training before throwing people out there and hoping they’ll find someone to ask on the job. I suspect you’ll get the generic thanks we’ll follow up note, and I’ll be honest it’s not like they can say anything else...

However, perhaps if they do follow up, it will make a difference. I’m not saying the agent needs dragging over the coals, but a gentle reminder to either learn the rules or check with ones supervisor would appear to be in order.

FWIW my occasional use of the YHZ priority lane was pleasant although they were unable to accommodate my request (which was technically against rules, I knew it, they knew it, but they were nice about it).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
What fare class was the OP on? Only a few fare classes (J/comfort) support standby unless you are flying on the rapidair routes like YYZ-YOW, YYZ-YUL. So the OP was on a standard or flex fare the agent is in fact correct that you cannot standby in YHZ. Since the earlier flight was oversold, you could not do a confirmed same day change that lower fare classes do support for a fee. Assuming your fare doesn't support then the lounge agent did the OP a favour and could actually get in trouble for violating the rules.

If the OP is on a fare that offers standby then I agree that the check in agent screwed up and the lounge agent saved the day, otherwise the OP should consider themselves lucky and move on.
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
What fare class was the OP on? Only a few fare classes (J/comfort) support standby unless you are flying on the rapidair routes like YYZ-YOW, YYZ-YUL. So the OP was on a standard or flex fare the agent is in fact correct that you cannot standby in YHZ. Since the earlier flight was oversold, you could not do a confirmed same day change that lower fare classes do support for a fee. Assuming your fare doesn't support then the lounge agent did the OP a favour and could actually get in trouble for violating the rules.

If the OP is on a fare that offers standby then I agree that the check in agent screwed up and the lounge agent saved the day, otherwise the OP should consider themselves lucky and move on.
I believe J/O/Y/B and Comfort support free standby on all routes. Anybody can pay for it, or it’s free on some routes like YYZ/NYC I believe.

Exception ... Basic fares.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
What fare class was the OP on?
Given the OP was sure about how the agent can check them in, I'd be interested about this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:16 pm

I was FAR,R on the list.

Originally was #1 , then moved down to 7, somehow still got the seat. 14C.
What am I missing? That's your name.

You got a seat, as the other 6 people were also cleared onto the flight, or were removed from the list for some reason.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by jc94

I believe J/O/Y/B and Comfort support free standby on all routes. Anybody can pay for it, or it’s free on some routes like YYZ/NYC I believe.

Exception ... Basic fares.
As far as I know standby (free or otherwise) is only supported on those fares or select routes (not including YHZ). You can do confirmed same day change on other fare classes, but not standby. However, confirmed same day change doesn't work if the flight is oversold.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
In my experience, standby is always permitted if SDC is.

There may be a fee, but it's allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.