Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mix eco basic with eco flex?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Mix eco basic with eco flex?

Hi all,

Never fly Air Canada but have a possibility upcoming on AC Rouge. To make it the cheapest possible I'm making it RT although I really only need one way. And further, to make it even cheaper (since the return is a throwaway), I see an option available for Air Canada's version of Basic economy (no refunds/changes, no baggage, etc.). My question is - if I combine an eco flex departure with an eco basic return - do I lose the benefits of flex? Could I, for example, still make changes for a discounted fee? Could I still pick my standard seat on my departure and get one free checked bag? I'm also Star Alliance Gold - will I get full benefits and mileage credits?

Also - any downside to Rouge? Never heard of them. Are standard seats tiny? I'm flying transcon.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:34 am

Travel within NA is based on one-way travel so you should not lose the benefits of being able to change flights on the first portion, etc. Not sure what differences there are in flight change pricing between domestic Canada and transborder USA.

As for rouge I suggest you go in with appropriate lower expectations than mainline and you’ll be fine. Seats have same width as mainline but less pitch. Also, make sure you have AC app on your devices to watch movies on flight, if that interests you as you likely can’t download on flight.

Rouge has several threads on this forum you can research.

FYI I’ve flown rouge several times within NA and found it to be perfectly acceptable, although I’m under 6 ft tall, and I knew exactly what I was buying and evaluated accordingly.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Travel within NA is based on one-way travel so you should not lose the benefits of being able to change flights on the first portion, etc. Not sure what differences there are in flight change pricing between domestic Canada and transborder USA.

As for rouge I suggest you go in with appropriate lower expectations than mainline and you’ll be fine. Seats have same width as mainline but less pitch. Also, make sure you have AC app on your devices to watch movies on flight, if that interests you as you likely can’t download on flight.

Rouge has several threads on this forum you can research.

FYI I’ve flown rouge several times within NA and found it to be perfectly acceptable, although I’m under 6 ft tall, and I knew exactly what I was buying and evaluated accordingly.
Thank you. I mistakenly wrote transcon - when I meant transatlantic. Do the same rules apply across the pond?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:59 pm

Unlikely. For intercontinental flights there is typically a restriction that the most restrictive change rules apply to whole ticket. That being said, you’d still get the mileage/baggage/etc. in accordance with the fare purchased as that is on a flight by flight basis.
TravelinSperry likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.