Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada VP Ben Smith hired for the Air France - KLM CEO position

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada VP Ben Smith hired for the Air France - KLM CEO position

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Plenty of CEOs take $1 salary.. just saying.
That's in base salary only. You're missing the complete picture.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
That's in base salary only. You're missing the complete picture.
Salary is salary and bonuses + options are on top of that. Some CEOs receive a token salary + the gravy, and others - like Smith - receive a healthy salary + gravy. I don't think any of the picture has been missed.

Originally Posted by The Lev
Given French tax rates, he won't be taking home many more Euros than that after paying half his salary to acquire shares and most of the rest in taxes... Unless he earns his bonuses.
Some people interpret investments will be made with half of pre-tax salary; others assume half of post-tax salary. It wasn't made clear, but there's more than one way to calculate the amount left over to invest. Let's also assume the CEO of a large corporation has access to rather proficient accountants tasked with minimizing tax burdens.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Some people interpret investments will be made with half of pre-tax salary; others assume half of post-tax salary. It wasn't made clear, but there's more than one way to calculate the amount left over to invest. Let's also assume the CEO of a large corporation has access to rather proficient accountants tasked with minimizing tax burdens.
Quoting from the Points Guy article linked above, which of course could be wrong):
Smith has a base salary of 900,000 euros ($1 million), but he can earn as much as 4.25 million euros if performance targets are met.

“I have already made a personal investment by moving with my family to France,” Smith said in a video message to staff. “Today I have decided to make another investment by investing half my fixed salary in Air France-KLM’s share capital.”

Smith is pledging half of his fixed salary, meaning 450,000 euros (~$525,000).
Having said that, I just remembered that France has some fairly generous tax provisions for ex-pats living "temporarily" in France.
https://www.welcometofrance.com/en/t...emption-scheme
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by The Lev
Quoting from the Points Guy article linked above, which of course could be wrong):.....
The article from The Points Guy that I posted yesterday cites their source with a link to the Financial Times. Sure, the Times could be wrong too, but....

Channel NewsAsia cites AFP as their source for their article

New Air France-KLM chief vows to invest half of salary in airline

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...rline-10729574

QUOTES:

"But the (French) government has defended his appointment, citing a 19-year career at Air Canada, where he led labour negotiations ahead of the launch of a low-cost subsidiary.

The 47-year-old, who was chief operating officer at Air Canada, is also credited with turning the airline around in the wake of the 2008 global economic crisis.

"We sought out one of the top professionals in the world," Transport Minister Elisabeth Borne said on French television on Monday.

"What is urgent now is a strategic plan," she stressed. "Obviously he will be meeting with unions and I hope everyone is going to contribute to this development project for Air France."
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:05 am
Suspended

Oh and meanwhile.......posted 2 hours ago

Air France pilots' union confident new CEO will resolve pay crisis | Labor content from ATWOnline

Sep 18, 2018 Helen Massy-Beresford

QUOTES:

"SNPL pilots’ union president Philippe Evain said he had a short but extremely interesting meeting with Smith......

Evain’s first impression of Smith was a “breath of fresh air,” he said, and a manager who is “young, passionate about aviation and extremely motivated”—all signs he said were encouraging for social dialogue at the group."
tcook052 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Salary is salary and bonuses + options are on top of that. Some CEOs receive a token salary + the gravy, and others - like Smith - receive a healthy salary + gravy. I don't think any of the picture has been missed.
No. Jumper Jack, as usual, is taking a swipe at people like Ben because he believes that CEOs are all overpaid, and hence his tongue in cheek comment that Ben should just be paid $1 notwitstanding the fact that most CEOs with $1 salary are also paid millions in stock.

Smith doesn't even receive a healthy salary, tax withstanding here. He probably made more with all of his AC stock + salary at his old job, and yet AC is a fraction of the size of AF.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Smith doesn't even receive a healthy salary, tax withstanding here. He probably made more with all of his AC stock + salary at his old job, and yet AC is a fraction of the size of AF.
AC is less than half of Air France-KLM in terms of revenue but it currently has a higher market value.

For what it's worth, Ben Smith's compensation for the last few years has been:
2017: $650,000 base, $3,989,708 total
2016: $650,000 base, $3,999,844 total
2015: $615,003 base, $3,847,593 total
2014: $528,335 base, $2,501,797 total
see page 67 here: https://www.welcometofrance.com/en/t...emption-scheme
These may understate his actual take-home since AC stock has performed very well over the last few years.

At Air France he's making more than twice the base salary (when converted from Euros) and seems to have higher total remuneration as well - assuming he hits targets, which in public companies, executives seem to find a way to do.
longtimeflyin likes this.

Last edited by The Lev; Sep 18, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises...ce-791483.html

Looks like Ben Smith is also going to the the head of Air France at least temporarily and even possibly permanently, in addition to being the president of AF-KLM.

My gut feeling is that he is going to deal with unions by being more flexible, in other words, more generous to labor than his predecessors. Perhaps with some restrictions maybe in time until the business gets better, or something like that. Basically doing his best to get it across that in his mind they are all on the same side in this; if things work well everyone should benefit...

Argument for management/shareholders side being that there is value in labor peace. Which to me looks like what happened at AC.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting interesting...

First in an interview to FT (behind a paywall) he warns unions not to expect a (French) govt bailout, since they plan to disinvest. Next he apparently gets a scolding by another French minister on the basis govt share selling is not happenig. At least until prices go up...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rench-minister

Also:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...irline-before/
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More action: Ben Smith now interim AF president after Terner's resignation:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1M728Y

https://www.lemonde.fr/entreprises/a...5_1656994.html

Le directeur général du groupe franco-néerlandais, qui a pris ses fonctions il y a dix jours, a pour sa part assuré que ses «.premières rencontres de travail avec les équipes d’Air France et les représentants des organisations syndicales (l)e rendent confiant dans notre capacité à construire ensemble l’avenir et le succès d’Air France..» Le nouveau patron de la compagnie a réservé sa première entrevue au patron du Syndicat national des pilotes de ligne (SNPL) Philippe Evain, qui a évoqué une atmosphère « extrêmement cordiale ».
Rough translation:

Ben Smith's first work meeting with AF teams and union representatives left him confident in their capacity for building together the futire and success of AF.. He reserved his first interview to the boss of the leading pilot union, who mentioned an extremely cordial atmosphere.
Anyway, so far so good.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Step 1: peace with unions

As I more or less expected, given the AC track record: first be non-confrontational and get social peace. Then look forward to the future:

https://www.ft.com/content/2cf1f24e-...2-7574db66bcd5

In French:

https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/arti...2012_3234.html

Anyway, looks like a good start.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
As I more or less expected, given the AC track record: first be non-confrontational and get social peace. Then look forward to the future:

https://www.ft.com/content/2cf1f24e-...2-7574db66bcd5

In French:

https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/arti...2012_3234.html

Anyway, looks like a good start.
Just to add additional links... also on France24 (as well as several other news outlets):

https://www.france24.com/en/20181019...rikes-airlines
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Lucky's second column today about Air Canada , or related news

QUOTE:

"So I was really impressed by the pick that Air France-KLM announced for their new CEO. Ben Smith recently took over at the helm of one of Europe’s mega-airlines. For those of you who don’t know who Ben is, he was the former President & COO at Air Canada, and in my opinion he did an outstanding job there."

"He did a great job negotiating with unions at Air Canada, and I was confident he’d be able to do the same in his new role at Air France-KLM. In fairness, I also expected he’d face a lot of challenges:......"

https://onemileatatime.com/air-france-labor-agreements/
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Big Changes Could Be Coming To Air France-KLM With New CEO

OCTOBER 31, 2018 BY LUCKY

https://onemileatatime.com/air-franc...anges-new-ceo/

QUOTE:

“When Ben was appointed I wrote about why I have so much respect for him and what he has done at Air Canada. I’d say so far he has made incredible progress at Air France-KLM. Air France’s biggest issue for a long time has been labor, and in a few short weeks they’ve reached a labor deal with 76% of their workforce.

That’s extremely impressive, though I’m not surprised Ben was able to accomplish that. I can guarantee he approached this very differently than any of the management team previously did.”
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Key Point: There is NO long term labour agreement. NONE It is a temporary agreement. (I will explain this shortly.)

The ode to Ben Smith is ridiculous, particularly the assertion that the labour woes were magically solved with his arrival. It's quite a leap, since Mr. Smith only was officially installed as of 27-September. It is even more astounding since Mr. Smith has a specific mission as defined by the BOD;
Benjamin Smith’s priority will be to define Air France’s short and medium-term strategic vision, find a solution to salary issues and set up a new company governance structure.

I will go one step further and say that the claim is an insult and dismissal of the work done since early last year to reach an agreement with the unions. The first step in the settlement of labour woes was the removal of multiple members of the management at Air France and that occurred many months before Mr. Smith arrived. In fact, if one wishes to sing praise, it should be to the management of KLM who were quite insistent on the need to change. They were supported by the Dutch government who were weary of seeing KLM employees held hostage by Air France and its uncompromising unions.

Note that the key labour (temporary) agreement came May 29 with the signing with the SNPL pilots union.

And now back to the key point: There is no long term agreement. What exists is a POSTPONEMENT; a delay, a kicking of the can down the road, because the real labour negotiations are about to start.

All that has been signed is a one year agreement. (As per the press release, the salary negotiations will start again in October 2019.) One year agreements do not ensure labour peace. They are a recipe for labour strife. However, in this situation they are an indication of an attempt at good faith bargaining to allow for the new management of Air France to get ready.

Air France will be starting labour negotiations with its most vocal and two most active unions now. As per the Air France Press release;

AIR FRANCE CONTINUES THE DIALOGUE WITH ITS SOCIAL PARTNERS AND OPENS CATEGORICAL NEGOTIATIONS WITH ITS FLIGHT CREW. Published on - October 24th, 2018
After signing a cross-category agreement for 2018 and 2019, Air France announces the opening of specific negotiations with flight crew representatives in compliance with the legal framework.
The categorical negotiations with the representative unions of the pilots will begin on 5th November. The negotiations with the representative unions of cabin crew will start on 7th November.

Let's revisit in a year and see if he is the golden boy with the magic touch.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Oct 31, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.