Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aimia adds Air Transat, Flair Airlines to its list of new Aeroplan partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aimia adds Air Transat, Flair Airlines to its list of new Aeroplan partners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Going with the only game in town does not constitute loyalty.

Many will say stuff it and give their business to Westjet. But Westjet doesn't serve all markets. For some, AC will remain the only option they have.

That is not loyalty. That is simply unfortunate.
I think this is only true in YVR, YYZ and YUL (Air Canada's "major" hubs(tm))... for everyone else, we have to connect anyway, so who cares where? Yeah it's a hassle to go to the U.S. sometimes, but you don't need Air Canada. You can use WS domestically and you have loads of options trans-border and internationally. But if you are in the "major" hubs(tm), then you are used to the Air Canada direct flights. It's not about options, it's about convenience in those markets.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:05 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I think this is only true in YVR, YYZ and YUL (Air Canada's "major" hubs(tm))... for everyone else, we have to connect anyway, so who cares where? Yeah it's a hassle to go to the U.S. sometimes, but you don't need Air Canada. You can use WS domestically and you have loads of options trans-border and internationally. But if you are in the "major" hubs(tm), then you are used to the Air Canada direct flights. It's not about options, it's about convenience in those markets.
Good observation, but I suspect those hubs are also are proxies for a sizable portion of AC's top spenders. But I have no facts to back that assertion.

I live in YVR and have to regularly travel for business to places like CDG, SYD, HKG, NRT, STR, SCL, FRA, FCO, etc., etc. The closest I come to domestic travel is either down to SFO or personal travel to see family in YXE.

So AC / *A works well for me in that it gets me where I need to go, while allowing me to concentrate my spend on getting status that I can actually use. So convenience is definitely a very big motivator and Aeroplan's evolving list of upcoming partners less so - at least to me.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:13 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I live in YUL and when I pay my own way in J don`t mind connecting to save money and avoid AC. For me a connection is nothing major, others disagree/don`t care about the cost and are captive to AC.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I live in YUL and when I pay my own way in J don`t mind connecting to save money and avoid AC. For me a connection is nothing major, others disagree/don`t care about the cost and are captive to AC.
While my location provides less need to transfer, when I am flying somewhere that AC doesn't fly direct to (with enough regularity for my needs) I find my options open up greatly and costs decrease.

If I've gotta change anyway with AC, I may as well change in ORD/EWR and fly UA J/F.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
So AC / *A works well for me in that it gets me where I need to go, while allowing me to concentrate my spend on getting status that I can actually use. So convenience is definitely a very big motivator and Aeroplan's evolving list of upcoming partners less so - at least to me.
But realistically no matter what Aeroplan does, as an Air Canada frequent flier, were you really ever going to retain Aeroplan, ever? The answer is, nope. But there are lots of Aeroplan members who accrue 100% of their miles on non-flying activities.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends. I can fly YYC-FRA or LHR direct. Or connect somewhere like YYZ. I would rather have a longer night sleep. Plus, connections adding to the total time, they don't always fit in one's schedule.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:04 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Isn't that exactly what I said?
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Aug 10, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
@Admiral Ackbar - you pay so this makes sense ����

so real question for many is who pays for their travel?

is all the hand -wringing here possibly fear of the questions that will come out of corporate travel dept when this all gets resolved? Maybe, just maybe the travel spend might need to go down , especially as we eventually get closer to downturn in the economy, and cheaper options that AE is lining up might just fit the need. And the lament not enough frequency or destinations from others - guess what, start flying thes airlines and this will materialize.

i value my client’s money / its’ there money, not my perk, so long ago got off the loyalty hamster wheel / yes, my AC spend sufficient and client freely leaves status benefits in my hands although I routinely use my status to benefit my clients in my travels.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 12, 2018 at 7:15 am Reason: off topic
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:58 am

What happened to the Aeroplan and Air Transat partnership announced in 2018 ?

I still would like to redeem my Aeroplan miles for flights on Air Transat. They have, or rather used to, direct flights to more in the Caribbean from YUL. Eg: year round direct to SXM, Turks, Honduras, , ..

https://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2018/0...oplan.html?m=1

Last edited by hoipolloi; Apr 4, 2021 at 8:07 am
Old Apr 4, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
What happened to the Aeroplan and Air Transat partnership announced in 2018 ?

I still would like to redeem my Aeroplan miles for flights on Air Transat. They have, or rather used to, direct flights to more in the Caribbean from YUL. Eg: year round direct to SXM, Turks, Honduras, , ..

https://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2018/0...oplan.html?m=1
That was scrapped when AC acquired Aeroplan.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.