Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How to do a Same Day Change for an Aeroplan ticket ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to do a Same Day Change for an Aeroplan ticket ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
canadiancow , do you think the AC staff at ZRH could handle this? I know the OP is flying LX ZRH-YUL, but could one go to the AC counter, have them SDC/standby YUL-YYZ, then go check in with LX? I'm not sure when the AC ZRH-YYZ flight departs relative to the LX ZRH-YUL flight and whether this would make sense from a practical perspective, but it would eliminate some of the hassle and unceuncertainty.
Given the current state of Amadeus, I wouldn't personally expend the time and energy. It might be possible, but I have no idea.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
SDC will cost $75 per person. Standby will be free. Good luck checking bags on standby.

If you want to do this, collect bags in YUL, go to check-in, and pay the fee.
Originally Posted by jc94
I’ve done standby (AC) with checked bags twice and the bag(s) arrived both times. It gets tagged standby, yellow label I think.

Obviously YMMW.
I’ve stood by twice this year on YVR-YEG with a checked bag. No issue. Short checking is likely the best option but can be a problem if 1st flight is significantly delayed.

It seems the yellow tags are a thing of the past. Neither of the times I stood by for an earlier flight was one applied. I asked the check-in agent and was told that they’re no longer required.
joet00 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, Bonvoy, HHonors, National EC
Thanks for the input everyone! This trip isn't until the fall, but based on the replies we will decide between paying for SDC or trying our luck on Standby... or even going for a nice meal in Montreal before our last segment home. I'll update this thread to share how it works out.

Another complexity: In reality, there were only 3 seats on ZRH->YUL, so my ticket goes ZRH->BOS (LX) and BOS->YUL (AC). (Here's hoping another I seat opens up on the direct flight in the next few months so we can travel together.) The party of 3 flying direct to YUL, led by Mrs joet00, is less inclined to roll the dice at YUL as our two family members are anxious travelers (so the change-in-itinerary and/or waiting will not come easy). #thankfulforthelounge

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
canadiancow , do you think the AC staff at ZRH could handle this? I know the OP is flying LX ZRH-YUL, but could one go to the AC counter, have them SDC/standby YUL-YYZ, then go check in with LX? I'm not sure when the AC ZRH-YYZ flight departs relative to the LX ZRH-YUL flight and whether this would make sense from a practical perspective, but it would eliminate some of the hassle and uncertainty.
AC to YYZ departs at 9:55, while the LX TATL appear to depart after 12 noon...so we'll likely be strolling into ZRH just after AC879 has departed.

Originally Posted by YEG USER
It seems the yellow tags are a thing of the past. Neither of the times I stood by for an earlier flight was one applied. I asked the check-in agent and was told that they’re no longer required.
Yes, I remember those yellow tags. Shows the last time I tried to Standby, both times at YUL, neither time successfully.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So I have an I class AE ticket, YYJ-YVR-YYC-YEG. I want to standby for YVR-YEG, departing at the exact same time as YVR-YYC. The YYC-YEG segment is the confirmed for the following day. Can I do this without paying a SDC fee?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
To answer my own question. The concierge call center made me pay a SDC fee...
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
To answer my own question. The concierge call center made me pay a SDC fee...
For standby, not confirmed SDC? Or did you do SDC because standby wasn't possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.