Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Work trip (conference) to AMS in October; need to figure out how to fly J & expense Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Work trip (conference) to AMS in October; need to figure out how to fly J & expense Y

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I have a work trip (conference) to AMS in October. I need to figure out how to fly J while expensing Y. I'm a noob when it comes to these things
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have a work trip (conference) to AMS in October. I need to figure out how to fly J while expensing Y. I'm a noob when it comes to these things

Fly AC and use your eUps? (or fly an airline in which you have status and respective upgrade instruments)
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:11 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I second @yyznomad's

Manipulate your company's OTA or TA to get you into a desirable fare class on something like AC 738 x AC 824 and use eUps?

Book as late as you dare to 'boost' the Economy fare class if needed or you are brave enough. Welcome to the real world of corporate travel.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Not sure if you are being sarcastic here. As nomad says eUps are the best approach, and at least right now from YYZ AC has been op upping people with lower status than you.

You’d want to set a EF alert in case it’s starting to look tight and up-faring to a Z/D or something is safer. I’m assuming work isn’t going to actually pay full Y/B here. Or NEO?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94

Not sure if you are being sarcastic here. As nomad says eUps are the best approach, and at least right now from YYZ AC has been op upping people with lower status than you.

You’d want to set a EF alert in case it’s starting to look tight and up-faring to a Z/D or something is safer. I’m assuming work isn’t going to actually pay full Y/B here. Or NEO?
I could probably buy PY if it were reasonably priced, but it's not to AMS. The issue for me is that anything easily upgradable is twice the price of PY on other airlines
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I could probably buy PY if it were reasonably priced, but it's not to AMS. The issue for me is that anything easily upgradable is twice the price of PY on other airlines
I think you should have the joy of experiencing Y.
Seriously, book the highest fare you can legitimately book with PE preferred. Then call AC and pay the diff to move to a more desirable fare class assuming you are in low flex or Tango. The earlier you do this the more reasonable the step up cost. And then use eupg. This is likely the most cost effective solution.
Or you can take your chances with bid upg or LMU.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:04 pm

Its a tricky one, especially without knowing some more. I assume you want SFO AMS which isn’t direct as far as I’m aware, but a stop somewhere like YYZ is the best route unless you can get a YVR AMS. I would expect you’ll get an LMU but while I know you hate Y theres always the risk you don’t or it’s $5k.

Shocking that company won’t pay for PY on what’s easily 5+(almost)8h and a stop. Though I guess neither leg is the magical 8h unless you can get a longer second leg. But I know some companies will pay Standard on 14h so luck of the draw.

The major issue is branded fares could stick you into Basic. And I don’t see a solution beyond upfaring at least to Flex for that which I believe reissues the ticket. If you have a good boss maybe they’ll be open to allowing you to book it all an expense the cost of whatever BCD/CWT of whatever lists.

I do wonder if a separate SFO AMS Y-J OPM thread is warrantied here though Assuming you are flying AC whatever.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Its a tricky one, especially without knowing some more. I assume you want SFO AMS which isn’t direct as far as I’m aware, but a stop somewhere like YYZ is the best route unless you can get a YVR AMS. I would expect you’ll get an LMU but while I know you hate Y theres always the risk you don’t or it’s $5k.

Shocking that company won’t pay for PY on what’s easily 5+(almost)8h and a stop. Though I guess neither leg is the magical 8h unless you can get a longer second leg. But I know some companies will pay Standard on 14h so luck of the draw.

The major issue is branded fares could stick you into Basic. And I don’t see a solution beyond upfaring at least to Flex for that which I believe reissues the ticket. If you have a good boss maybe they’ll be open to allowing you to book it all an expense the cost of whatever BCD/CWT of whatever lists.

I do wonder if a separate SFO AMS Y-J OPM thread is warrantied here though Assuming you are flying AC whatever.
I'm not just talking about AC. Find me a $3 KLM SFO-AMS J fare, and I'll book that . I'd love to just use miles and expense whatever my team pays

Travel policy for conferences (i.e. not a "business need") is economy only. The last time I looked at our regular policy, it was something like Y under 6 hours.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If you are willing to spend the money (or eUps), and the paper pushers want a receipt (but don't demand it is booked through their system), then do that. Book in Y. Print-to-pdf the receipt. Cancel it. Book in J. Expense Y.
DutchessPDX and DNAwizard like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Can't you book Y, then call Ben and have him upgrade you?
PointWeasel, Dolphin2 and jc94 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:28 pm

Do like the federal civil servants do, especially at senior levels or in ministerial offices. "know" about your conference attendance months in advance, but book airfare literally the last minute when only full-Y is available. Pay the difference separately. Act dumb.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
If you are willing to spend the money (or eUps), and the paper pushers want a receipt (but don't demand it is booked through their system), then do that. Book in Y. Print-to-pdf the receipt. Cancel it. Book in J. Expense Y.
I very much doubt he company via which most bookings are made will book into something that offers a free refund. Although maybe within 24h?

The problem with this and updating of it retickets is if someone audits it and notices the discrepancy. Depends on the company here but in some that’s a fairly serious issue.

cow you mention $3 (k one assumes). I don’t see you getting a $3k return even you mean USD and are clearly open to non *A.

I know BA does a nice SFO LHR which would combine with the delight of infra Europe J for a C$5500 trip but most of my suggestions here about points, google flights and alternate locations and dates are all completely redundant in your case! And yeah BA J isn’t my carrier of choice though it beats Y.

FI is another poor J that might work with probably two stops. But a nice place to stop for a few days
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
Do like the federal civil servants do, especially at senior levels or in ministerial offices. "know" about your conference attendance months in advance, but book airfare literally the last minute when only full-Y is available. Pay the difference separately. Act dumb.
I recall a story in the forum here about the FRA weekend trip that leads me to question how many of his coworkers would buy this

Also, AC is selling Basic and Standard fares right up to the wire these days on many routes. I don’t see October traffic being amazing high.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

Also, AC is selling Basic and Standard fares right up to the wire these days on many routes. I don’t see October traffic being amazing high.
Not internationally.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Use your points and IKK J

Expense a Y ticket

Probably the easiest way, assuming you don't care about nonrev tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.