Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can I same day change from LH to AC flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I same day change from LH to AC flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I'll be interested to see how this plays out, as by the time you're eligible to make the change, the ticket will be under LH's control and therefore I would think changes on day of departure would need to be made by LH.

Make sure to report back.
Please explain if you don't mind.

As far as I know, airlines can freely push/pull coupon (not ticket) control as lock as the coupon is not checked in.

Also, I believe there's a post somewhere in the 30 threads about SDCs that went over all the conditions under which an SDC must be initiated. I believe it even covers the "I have an AC codeshare" situation.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Please explain if you don't mind.

As far as I know, airlines can freely push/pull coupon (not ticket) control as lock as the coupon is not checked in.

Also, I believe there's a post somewhere in the 30 threads about SDCs that went over all the conditions under which an SDC must be initiated. I believe it even covers the "I have an AC codeshare" situation.
I wasn’t expecting my words to be interpreted literally.

My understanding of SDCs is they are done in the DCS. Since this is an LH operated flight, the OPs flight record (or whatever the real term is) would be in LHs DCS, not ACs.

We’ll wait to see how the OP makes out.

Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

I wasn’t expecting my words to be interpreted literally.

My understanding of SDCs is they are done in the DCS. Since this is an LH operated flight, the OPs flight record (or whatever the real term is) would be in LHs DCS, not ACs.

We’ll wait to see how the OP makes out.

Ahh ok, understood.

Well yeah, this is probably why if you want to SDC a codeshare you have to go to the ticketing counter of the ticketing carrier and not just a regular check in. I don't think the gate/check in agents can loose match a codeshare coupon.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I will eat a transborder MLL meal if you can get this done.
I will eat an International MLL snack if you eat a transborder MLL meal.

But yeah, this is news to me with different metal switch for SDC.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Make sure if you eat those snacks you fly on the flight you intend to....
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Lev, you're about to educate the entire FT gang here ....

So exciting

(Oh, and good luck, too!)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I will eat a transborder MLL meal if you can get this done.
Which TB MLL offers meals?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94

Which MLL offers meals?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94

That's the point

Originally Posted by Stranger
Which MLL offers meals?
FRA, CDG, LHR, YYZ INT, YVR INT, YYC, YUL/YYZ/YVR DOM at least at certain times of day.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the point

FRA, CDG, LHR, YYZ INT, YVR INT, YYC, YUL/YYZ/YVR DOM at least at certain times of day.
Food, sure. But meals?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
Food, sure. But meals?
no, just snacks.

actually interested to see how this goes for OP.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Air Canada - consistently inconsistent

Last night I tried to get the Concierge to put me on the standby list and got this response two and a half hours later:
"I have looked at your reservation and since this is a Lufthansa flight that is operating from Frankfurt to Toronto we can't put you on stand by for the Air Canada flight. There isn't a record that we can work with since these are operated by Lufthansa and doesn't pull up in our system."

"The only way we can make the change is as a voluntary exchange of your ticket which inquires a fare difference and change fee."

I'm now in the FRA MLL and I asked the agent if I could do standby for the earlier AC flight. She said that PE was sold out and the flight was way oversold by 26 people, so I would not be able to standby. I then asked her if the flight hadn't been oversold would she be able to make the change for me and she confirmed that yes she would.

Meanwhile in typical AC fashion my AC status, which appeared on my AC flights failed to carry over to my return LH flights, which I only noticed when I asked the check-in agent in RIX if I could have my boarding pass stamped for priority security and she wondered why. This seems to be a frequent problem with AC and LH's computers not playing nice with each other.

So, I am not getting on the earlier flight (but could have if not oversold) and I don't have a seat yet for my PE flight home on LH because that flight is apparently oversold (LH oversells PE????). So now we play the lottery - do I get a PE seat at the gate, do I get an op-up to J at the gate or do I get tossed off the LH flight and bumped back to AC for the late flight out of FRA. Will report back on this later.

At the end of the day I will leave it up to @canadiancow and @yyznomad whether they will endure the indignity of eating MLL food since under today's circumstances I was not able to switch from LH to AC but the lounge people said they would have done so if not oversold.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
Last night I tried to get the Concierge to put me on the standby list and got this response two and a half hours later:
"I have looked at your reservation and since this is a Lufthansa flight that is operating from Frankfurt to Toronto we can't put you on stand by for the Air Canada flight. There isn't a record that we can work with since these are operated by Lufthansa and doesn't pull up in our system."

"The only way we can make the change is as a voluntary exchange of your ticket which inquires a fare difference and change fee."

I'm now in the FRA MLL and I asked the agent if I could do standby for the earlier AC flight. She said that PE was sold out and the flight was way oversold by 26 people, so I would not be able to standby. I then asked her if the flight hadn't been oversold would she be able to make the change for me and she confirmed that yes she would.

Meanwhile in typical AC fashion my AC status, which appeared on my AC flights failed to carry over to my return LH flights, which I only noticed when I asked the check-in agent in RIX if I could have my boarding pass stamped for priority security and she wondered why. This seems to be a frequent problem with AC and LH's computers not playing nice with each other.

So, I am not getting on the earlier flight (but could have if not oversold) and I don't have a seat yet for my PE flight home on LH because that flight is apparently oversold (LH oversells PE????). So now we play the lottery - do I get a PE seat at the gate, do I get an op-up to J at the gate or do I get tossed off the LH flight and bumped back to AC for the late flight out of FRA. Will report back on this later.

At the end of the day I will leave it up to @canadiancow and @yyznomad whether they will endure the indignity of eating MLL food since under today's circumstances I was not able to switch from LH to AC but the lounge people said they would have done so if not oversold.
I suspect that had the agent attempted it, there would have been an "oh wait no I can't" moment.

There's nothing wrong with overselling PY. Or J. As long as you have a higher cabin with empty seats. I suspect you'll be flying in your ticketed cabin, or better.
bawm likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:48 am

I think the agent is right. You cannot standby for an AC flight because you're booked on an LH flight. This is correct.

You can do an SDC, but you cannot SDC to an oversold flight. If you want to get on an oversold flight, you need to pay change fee and fare difference.

Did you talk to an agent at the ticketing counter in FRA? Doing a same day change from an AC codeshare flight to an AC flight requires an airport ticketing agent.

Changing a ticket to another flight , doing a same day change, and standing by for another flight are three distinct transactions. So you cannot change to any other flight by doing a same day change and standing by for that flight.

Sorry it didn't work out.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by The Lev

If it makes you feel any better, AC873 took a 3.5 hour delay in FRA due to maintenance. Schedule to,arrive only an hour before the LH flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.