Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance hidden city

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Star Alliance hidden city

Hello everyone,

Apologies in advance if hidden city questions are seen as spam on these boards. I know they’re asked frequently.

We live in Vancouver. My family’s booked SEA to MUC, then MUC to YVR to SEA on the return. The transatlantic flights are all Lufthansa and the YVR SEA leg is AC. However, the booking itself was made through UA’s website.

We actually always did intend to fly all legs (drive to Seattle, leave car in long term parking) but now of course it has dawned on me that it would be both cheaper and quicker to take Amtrak to Seattle on the way there and abandon the YVR SEA leg on the way back.

I am aware of all the common pitfalls of hidden city ticketing so I know we wouldn’t be able to check bags on the return and in the event of a cancellation we risk getting rebooked to SEA without the YVR stop. All that said, can anyone offer any advice on whether skipping the last leg is feasible?

-would I get pre cleared for entry to the US at the airport in MUC? Does that complicate things?

-what are the odds I can persuade LH to short check bags to YVR?

-what should I do if I try to carry on bags but the plane is full and they force us to check bags?

-if it works, do you tell AC as a courtesy to release the YVR SEA seats?

-I’ve heard UA actively watches for hidden city travellers, but AC and LH don’t care so much. What happens here, when all 3 play a partial role in the trip?

Thanks! Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by km3t
Hello everyone,

Apologies in advance if hidden city questions are seen as spam on these boards. I know they’re asked frequently.

We live in Vancouver. My family’s booked SEA to MUC, then MUC to YVR to SEA on the return. The transatlantic flights are all Lufthansa and the YVR SEA leg is AC. However, the booking itself was made through UA’s website.

We actually always did intend to fly all legs (drive to Seattle, leave car in long term parking) but now of course it has dawned on me that it would be both cheaper and quicker to take Amtrak to Seattle on the way there and abandon the YVR SEA leg on the way back.

I am aware of all the common pitfalls of hidden city ticketing so I know we wouldn’t be able to check bags on the return and in the event of a cancellation we risk getting rebooked to SEA without the YVR stop. All that said, can anyone offer any advice on whether skipping the last leg is feasible?

-would I get pre cleared for entry to the US at the airport in MUC? Does that complicate things?

-what should I do if I try to carry on bags but the plane is full and they force us to check bags?

-I’ve heard UA actively watches for hidden city travellers, but AC and LH don’t care so much. What happens here, when all 3 play a partial role in the trip?

If you do it regularly the airlines will be upset. If it is occurs the odd time then no one is going to be overly concerned.

When you check in with LH or at baggage checkin try telling them, plans changed, I was originally planning to go to Seattle but now I am only going as far as Vancouver. They probably will just check you in as far as Vancouver.

If it was me I would not tell AC, I would just not check in for the flight.

If you need to check baggage at the gate, tell them you need the bag in Vancouver, and to only check it as far as Vancouver.

I would not worry about United. All these interconnected computer systems from the various airlines do work, but not in a very sophisticated way.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
I would not tell anyone in MUC of your changed plans (or they might try to reprice the ticket),I would just indicate that you need access to your bags in Vancouver and ask them to check it that far. Since you will have to check-in for all flights on the itinerary, rather than no-showing, once your first flight has left the gate, I would use the application to cancel your check-in for the final leg, by checking in again with YVR as your departure city. Finally, I suggest you have a plan B on how you will get back to YVR if you or your luggage end up in SEA.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe any airline has ever gone after passengers whoo missed the last leg. There are some reports of some airline(s) in the US having gone after travel agents, but since agents are agents of the airlines, they have a much stronger contractual agreement, which obliges them to enforce airline rules. In contrast, airlines would have to go to court to enforce these rules on passengers, and as they surely are well aware of, they might lose. So it would appear they prefer not to take that risk and instead, bullying customers who actually believe these airline rules embedded in the contract are actually enforceable, even though in all likelihood they are not.

Of course, if one does this too often, and with the airline in whose FF program one belongs, they could go after your miles and status. But that's another story.

In this instance, it gets more complicated given the various airlines involved. In addition, I would not be overly concerned, since AC seems to have a hard time reliably tracking who flew what segment anyway.

But no, don't tell them in advance. And no, there is no US pre-clearance in Germany.

I would absolutely not let them check my bags all the way. I would rather take only carry ons.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all if you. Much appreciated.

Plan B is that since I'm the dummy who booked this, I alone get stuck taking the connecting flight to Seattle to chase after our bags if they force us to check them. The wife and kids bail out at Vancouver. So if they do make is check them, I am going to have to insist they're all under my name.

In fairness to me, the difference in price between YVR and SEA was astronomical... particularly for 5 passengers... and gave better connections to boot... so it was worth the frustration of the added trip in and out of Seattle, we thought.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that OP does not ask LH to short-check (which it is very unlikely to do without repricing) does the YVR flow for bags require OP to physically reclaim them at YVR enroute to Pre-Clearance?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I'm curious - if the OP must clear both Canada/US immigration in Canada - doesn't he have to grab/declare his bags to re-check for onward travel?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I'm curious - if the OP must clear both Canada/US immigration in Canada - doesn't he have to grab/declare his bags to re-check for onward travel?
I am about 75% sure you have to recheck bags in YVR
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Presuming that OP does not ask LH to short-check (which it is very unlikely to do without repricing) does the YVR flow for bags require OP to physically reclaim them at YVR enroute to Pre-Clearance?
YVR has in-transit US pre-clearance for passengers arriving on certain airlines. You do not claim your luggage if they are checked through.

LH is included I believe.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
If OP checks bag from MUC to US destination (via YVR), as a transit pax in YVR, he never touches his checked baggage, but clears both Canada/US immigration/customs while transitting. Took them a while, but YVR has an excellent flow-through airport now for transit pax.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
I don't believe any airline has ever gone after passengers whoo missed the last leg.
Airlines have gone after repeat offenders. Example:

https://i.imgur.com/DtGbf0b.png

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28912152-post224.html
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by artvandalay
If OP checks bag from MUC to US destination (via YVR), as a transit pax in YVR, he never touches his checked baggage, but clears both Canada/US immigration/customs while transitting. Took them a while, but YVR has an excellent flow-through airport now for transit pax.
I agree I did a FCO-MUC-YVR-SFO flight and only got my bags at SFO, At YVR when I went through the Pre Clearance they asked me to verify that it was my checked suitcase on the monitor which I did and that was it! Very painless and I would not mind doing this again!
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Which is why I asked the question. As it stands, LH won't short-check the bags to YVR, so they are headed to SEA. An added complication is that all the bags will need to be checked in under OP's name (with fees paid) as the three who won't be flying onward won't be processing through US Pre-Clearance and the bags will wind up somewhere in the world, perhaps back in MUC.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:38 pm

I've skipped the last leg by booking it for the next day, thereby getting my bags at the previous airport. After that you phone AC and cancel your last leg, which will allow you to use it for the next 365 days (if you need to, else it just vapourizes) and keeps you off their *hitlist.. You don't pay a change fee unless you do use it sometime in the next year.

However since a family is involved, the cost of changing the last leg to the next day might not make up for what you would currently be spending.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by km3t

Often1 has given you some good advice. Let me offer some personal insights, thoughtless may have changed since I last flew LH into YVR several years ago.

1. No, there is no US preclearance anywhere in Germany
2. Very slim, though I'm not sure whether LH is part of the 'non-claiming bags for onward travel' arrangement
3. Measure the bags, and assume that if they do not comply with LH policy you'll be asked to check them; see 2
4. No. That would be silly. The system will offload you in time to manage any standbys
5. Don't worry about this unless you are a heavy duty flyer
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.