Wiki Posts
Search

IrrOp: Credit where it's due

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Just curious if AC informed you ( and the other passengers) of your rights, and furnished you with the information as to how to make your claim,
or if you were left to do so on your own?
No, we were not informed; nor made to sign a waiver. I have to say, though, that a google search on "Air Canada flight delay rights" quickly points to this page, on AC's site, that contains all relevant information.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
I have made a small edit to include yet another small gesture of "good service" that we had on boarding AC419, and I had forgotten to include.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:06 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by tinchote
No, we were not informed; nor made to sign a waiver. I have to say, though, that a google search on "Air Canada flight delay rights" quickly points to this page, on AC's site, that contains all relevant information.
I had thought, but could quite be totally wrong, that one of the responsibilities of the carrier in this case is to make sure passengers are aware they have rights under EC261/2004. I don't believe they have to actually provide forms, but they at least have to have a sign and/or announcement to that effect.

A quick Google search turns up this, which would seem to describe the carrier's obligations:

As a matter of course, a printed or electronic notice informing you of your EU air passenger rights must be clearly displayed at the airport check-in desk. This information must also be shown at check-in kiosks in the airport and on-line. If you were denied boarding, your flight was cancelled, you experienced a delay of more than 2 hours at departure or you arrive with a long delay at your final destination, the operating air carrier must give you a written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance.
I'm not what, if any, penalty would apply to carriers who do not inform the relevant pax however.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I had thought, but could quite be totally wrong, that one of the responsibilities of the carrier in this case is to make sure passengers are aware they have rights under EC261/2004. I don't believe they have to actually provide forms, but they at least have to have a sign and/or announcement to that effect.

A quick Google search turns up this, which would seem to describe the carrier's obligations:

I'm not what, if any, penalty would apply to carriers who do not inform the relevant pax however.
Yeah, I’m yet to hear of any airline doing this however. I’m sure someone can find an example, but I doubt it’ll be from AC. Doesn’t seem to be enforced.

While 261 is good, the holes around a) what actually constitutes exceptional circumstances and b) the timeliness in which the airline should pay are truly shocking.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
With respect to being informed, not only does signage need to be posted at "check-in", but
An operating air carrier denying boarding or cancelling a flight shall provide each passenger affected with a written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance in line with this Regulation. It shall also provide each passenger affected by a delay of at least two hours with an equivalent notice. The contact details of the national designated body referred to in Article 16 shall also be given to the passenger in written form.

With respect to reporting infringement and punishment for failure to notify pax of rights by written notice,

Without prejudice to Article 12, each passenger may complain to any body designated under paragraph 1, or to any other competent body designated by a Member State, about an alleged infringement of this Regulation at any airport situated on the territory of a Member State or concerning any flight from a third country to an airport situated on that territory.

And

The sanctions laid down by Member States for infringements of this Regulation shall be effective, proportionate and dissuasive.

The meals provided in CDG, lodging and meals in YUL, and such, were not done out of customer service but rather legal obligation. The credit due is that AC attempted to mostly comply with law, but it sounds like they really wanted passengers to miss the real part: 600 euros each, which likely would have made the entire flight a negative return. The savings in payouts afforded to AC appears to be anticompetitive behavior, but ianal.

It is sad that this is shocking, that they even tried. I still have several requests to make under the same regulation, but tbh 600 euros isn't really motivating me to deal with paperwork atm.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
forms disappear or are not available for a delayed AC late ex-EU flight. no news there.

Asking the duty manager while showing the regulations sheet has gotten "I know the law but when I call our support staff at HDQ in Canada I get no response" or "they could only find these disripted flight % off vouchers"

Someone needs to start making written complaints to the EU authority for every delayed flight. Make the airlines prove that X number of forms were handed out and Y claims were paid. If it's 10% of pax it is obvious they weren't handed out. Better yet the technology exists to make these payouts automatic. Force them to do so.

or .Every claim paid is 600EUR, every claim not paid within 90 days, 1000EUR per affected pax must be forwarded to EU authorities general fund.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by cedric
It's interesting, isn't it - clearly AC has proper plans in place to deal with disruptive IRROPS.
Why they execute so poorly 4 times out of 5 is the head scratcher.
The procedure is in place, and it appears that the employees are trained correctly, as demonstrated in this case.
So why does it go so wrong, so often?
The bigger irony to me is that remote outstations with few flights and very limited resources often seem to do much better than even the heavily staffed major domestic airports: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/727920-s-way-you-do.html
cedric likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.