Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana fuel surcharges?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Asiana fuel surcharges?

Like a number of other FTers, I've been interested/annoyed by the absence of any Asiana availability through Aeroplan in the 2019 calender. There have been a couple of threads on this. So it looks like Asiana is now back. There is loads of availability. But when I went to price out a business class flight JFK-ICN-SYD it hung $900 in fuel surcharges on the ticket. I've never seen this before with Asiana, which used to be one of the few Aeroplan partners with no YQ. Is it a new normal? Policy change? Have others had similar/different experiences?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Like a number of other FTers, I've been interested/annoyed by the absence of any Asiana availability through Aeroplan in the 2019 calender. There have been a couple of threads on this. So it looks like Asiana is now back. There is loads of availability. But when I went to price out a business class flight JFK-ICN-SYD it hung $900 in fuel surcharges on the ticket. I've never seen this before with Asiana, which used to be one of the few Aeroplan partners with no YQ. Is it a new normal? Policy change? Have others had similar/different experiences?
OZ was not no YQ, but it wasn't insanely high on a route I fly.

But I was curious about your route. I picked a random date in Feb 2019, in Business.
Others here will have more insight, but I thought this was interesting.
Look at JFK-ICN-SYD vs ICN-SYD

Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by 24left

But I was curious about your route. I picked a random date in Feb 2019, in Business.
So JFK-ICN carries the bulk of YQ? Any idea why?

I've always been curious about OZ (gotta say it's the LOST factor), and almost booked it for a trip to Asia, but went with ANA and JL instead so I could compare the F suite in the Japanese carriers.

I did not expect OZ to have a much higher YQ than NH. If that's how high the YQ is, I probably won't book it for my next trip using AP.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
So JFK-ICN carries the bulk of YQ? Any idea why?

I've always been curious about OZ (gotta say it's the LOST factor), and almost booked it for a trip to Asia, but went with ANA and JL instead so I could compare the F suite in the Japanese carriers.

I did not expect OZ to have a much higher YQ than NH. If that's how high the YQ is, I probably won't book it for my next trip using AP.
It's not high on the route I fly. I only posted the route OP asked about and the details of the taxes etc, plus I looked at one sector separately because I was curious.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

It is interesting to note the discrepancy between the February 2019 route that you searched for and the January 2019 one that I ran -- ~$400 vs. ~$900. So the fuel surcharges seem pretty variable depending on time, and apparently also on place (leaving ex/JFK versus other points).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
It is interesting to note the discrepancy between the February 2019 route that you searched for and the January 2019 one that I ran -- ~$400 vs. ~$900. So the fuel surcharges seem pretty variable depending on time, and apparently also on place (leaving ex/JFK versus other points).
My examples were one-way only.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
It's not high on the route I fly. I only posted the route OP asked about and the details of the taxes etc, plus I looked at one sector separately because I was curious.
Which routes do you usually fly? I have enough Aeroplan that I'm willing to burn them to just fly a good F on OZ if YQ isn't bad. How would you compare OZ to NH or JL in terms of F products and services?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.