Wiki Posts
Search

Help with reward flight to Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Help with reward flight to Lisbon

Hey guys,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, and if I'm not I apologize.

E75k here, and ashamed as I should definitely know this, but I'm trying to book 2 tickets with my miles (160k right now) from YQB to LIS or OPO. Ideal scenario would be YQB-LIS / OPO-YQB, but I'm aware this can have an effect on the price.

I want to figure out how to get the reward flights without paying the surcharge from Aeroplan/AC's website. Right now they are quoting me my whole 160k miles + $1300 surcharge which is kind of ridiculous. I know I need to find flights not on AC metal, and have looked into booking through United but it asks me my United member number which doesn't seem to work out.

Sorry for the total noob question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to book United on the aeroplan web site, if available. But eh, you just discovered that Y awards are just a ripoff... Welcome to reality. BTW does TP now require surcharges?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Determine how to get to LIS or OPO... who flies there and from where...ie TP from EWR and YYZ///or UA from EWR

Then search on those individual legs (ie EWR-LIS or EW -OPO) and see what you find....then search on the flights from YQB to that hub (ie YQB- EWR).

A quick search of EWR-LIS in Sept 2018 does show some availbility.

Good luck.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
This thread has plenty of info on how to reduce the surcharges (called YQ) on Aeroplan redemptions:

How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Basically, you'll need to fly on airlines that don't charge YQ such as United (UA) or Swiss (LX), search segment by segment, and then likely call into to Aeroplan (and pay their $30 call centre fee) and feed them the flight numbers.

Possible route to minimize YQ:

YQB-YUL (on AC), YUL-ZRH (on LX), ZRH-LIS (on TP or LX)
OPO-ZRH (on TP or LX), ZRH-YUL (on LX), YUL-YQB (on AC)

Or the option via EWR that Plumber mentions above. Doing an open jaw (into LIS and out of OPO) is perfectly okay and shouldn't have any affect on the price.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
When are you planning to fly ? If flying in Y you might be better off just purchasing the ticket on TAP. I saw some deals from YYZ to LIS for CAD $550 tax incl.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Planning to fly Sept 21st to Oct 2nd.

If I search for flights between EWR-LIS, should I do it on the airline website and then call in Aeroplan to do the booking? Will they use my points for flights that don't necessarily show up on Aeroplan? Or do it on the Aeroplan site? I think if I book two separate flights via Aeroplan it will cost more miles than 1 single reservation?

I'll keep digging!

Thanks,
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

@vernonc , oh yeah. I'm fully aware the flights are cheap. It's more a matter of: I'll never use these darn points if I don't try
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fivehundredYQB
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Planning to fly Sept 21st to Oct 2nd.

If I search for flights between EWR-LIS, should I do it on the airline website and then call in Aeroplan to do the booking? Will they use my points for flights that don't necessarily show up on Aeroplan? Or do it on the Aeroplan site? I think if I book two separate flights via Aeroplan it will cost more miles than 1 single reservation?

I'll keep digging!

Thanks,
You need to look at the 'saver' fares on United and then call AE to book those flights.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
You need to look at the 'saver' fares on United and then call AE to book those flights.
Very helpful. Thanks. Will do!

Report back with the result

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.