Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Will AC Altitude Benefits change if *A adds tiers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Will AC Altitude Benefits change if *A adds tiers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
*A isn't going to introduce a tier only to have one of its major members not participate.

A few givens:
VIP, PPS, HON and GS are going to continue to exist in their own, respective worlds--they will be *A top tier, but they will be largely about their respective carriers' treatment of their own.
Signature Suite, SQ lounges at SIN, the LH/LX/OS F Class Terminal/Lounges and Polaris lounges are never going to be open to top tier passengers.

Given that LH has no tier between FQTV and SEN, and Krisflyer doesn't have a 100,000 mile tier, this won't get off the ground unless LH and SQ decide to more closely align UA's structure (SQ is less of an issue, they could simply use PPS/Solitaire).
In terms of new or additional benefit, they're going to have to get creative. They can't directly match OWE if only because there are many carriers offering F, and those that do are unlikely to open that real estate to a new tier of passengers. But they may be able to put more "alliance" in *A in terms of access to rewards and the like.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AC*SE
*A isn't going to introduce a tier only to have one of its major members not participate.

A few givens:
VIP, PPS, HON and GS are going to continue to exist in their own, respective worlds--they will be *A top tier, but they will be largely about their respective carriers' treatment of their own.
Signature Suite, SQ lounges at SIN, the LH/LX/OS F Class Terminal/Lounges and Polaris lounges are never going to be open to top tier passengers.
Polaris is very different from the others. Polaris allows anyone's metal. I'm not saying they're going to start letting *G in, but I wouldn't put it in the same category of access requirements.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

A few givens:

Given that LH has no tier between FQTV and SEN, and Krisflyer doesn't have a 100,000 mile tier, this won't get off the ground unless LH and SQ decide to more closely align UA's structure (SQ is less of an issue, they could simply use PPS/Solitaire).
In terms of new or additional benefit, they're going to have to get creative. They can't directly match OWE if only because there are many carriers offering F, and those that do are unlikely to open that real estate to a new tier of passengers. But they may be able to put more "alliance" in *A in terms of access to rewards and the like.
While I'm generally in agreement with what you opine, wouldn't some of these more obvious "challenges" be a non-starter for even the thought of this? It seems perhaps that they think it's a significant possibility?

Originally Posted by Australian Business Traveller
Star Alliance CEO Jeffrey Goh confirmed to Australian Business Traveller that the group's board meeting in Sydney yesterday discussed introducing "one or more levels" above the Gold tier.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
My reading of the tea leaves is that SQ and LH will make the necessary changes to the M&M and KF structures.

But I don't think any crystal ball is going to give us insight into what benefits might come along with a third *A tier.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
My reading of the tea leaves is that SQ and LH will make the necessary changes to the M&M and KF structures.

But I don't think any crystal ball is going to give us insight into what benefits might come along with a third *A tier.
Fair enough.

Forging onward with the fun AC speculation continue in this thread!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KenHamer
oneworld always seemed like an alliance - a true alliance - to me.
Really? I've never found this, to be honest. As a 14+ year BA Gold member (soon to drop far down) I can't really say that the OW experience has been consistent and seamless across member carriers.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Let's keep the focus in this thread on AC and continue the wider *A tier conversation in this thread on that subject.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
There's never any guarantee with AC's existing tiers. The only expectation is the lower tiers (especially E35) will continue to have bits chopped off; a good year for people at those levels is when only one part (like a lounge guest) is removed.

If they were to add a new tier, it'd just mean that those who no longer qualify lose benefits. But you can lose benefits regardless anyway. I'd be surprised if they started to mess around before June 2020 though but who knows! Even AC probably don't know yet
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
The only expectation is the lower tiers (especially E35) will continue to have bits chopped off; a good year for people at those levels is when only one part (like a lounge guest) is removed.
Only the lower tiers? I'm SE again this year after having not been for several years and IMHO isn't as good as it was years ago despite needing to spend 20k AQD now. There have been several "enhancements" in recent years.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Only the lower tiers? I'm SE again this year after having not been for several years and IMHO isn't as good as it was years ago despite needing to spend 20k AQD now. There have been several "enhancements" in recent years.
Not really much change to the SE "benefits." That concierges are now hard to get is not in itself a change in the program. Ditto for other stuff that has got worse. All of it mainly following from the economy improving and AC getting back into a more arrogant mode.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Yeah I meant especially the lower tiers have had things removed. I’m aware say things like IKK have become more restricted as well. Some would consider this an improvement due to misuse, just like you could say on E35 guesting leading to overcrowding.

Anyway, perhaps a new tier would add these back in, perhaps not. Perhaps AC will change *G benefits to E75 and block everyone below from all MLL access, include E50MM. End of the day they can and keep doing what they want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.