Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

New Star Alliance Top Tier Level is coming / Dynamic Reward Pricing

Old Jun 4, 18, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold

It seems that the time is almost there when Star Alliance will introduce a new higher level than Star Alliance Gold.

This makes sense as more member airlines already have two or more levels that goes in to Star Alliance Gold. SAS have EBG, EBD and EDP.

Link (DK)
Link (UK)

So this new level comes with a catch I think - this is the fact that the Star Alliance Gold level then will see some devaluation to make room for the higher levels. So is Star Alliance Gold going just to be Fast Track and access to Business lounges in the future?
Old Jun 4, 18, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Already a thread about this in the NZ forum. Mod alerted with the suggestion to move all these to the Star Alliance forum.
herro likes this.
Old Jun 4, 18, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Already a thread about this in the NZ forum. Mod alerted with the suggestion to move all these to the Star Alliance forum.
Only issue that there is "local" discussions on this area. How is a EBG impacted by this move. This is not 100% aligned i all of the 21 member airlines. I would guess those who have a higher tier already like SAS will have a bigger impact than those who does not. I guess that a EBG member will meet a devaulation to ensure there is enough benefits for a Diamond or maybe more levels above Gold.

So therefore it is not a generic discussion all the time.
Old Jun 4, 18, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just suggesting that a master thread is created in Star Alliance forum, which would be the logical place for people searching for such information would look.
herro likes this.
Old Jun 4, 18, 11:51 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Let me guess - airlines like Lufthansa would still find it within themselves to deny +1PC on Light fares to the new exalted status of *D!
royng and zeer0 like this.
Old Jun 4, 18, 12:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, UA Gold MM, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
The pessimist in me thinks that the structure will look something like this:
*S gets current *S benefits
*G gets priority boarding and check-in
*D gets everything that *G gets right now, maybe more consistent fast-track/extra baggage/lounge.

That would make them awfully uncompetitive with OW/ST though, with most airlines 50k status getting no meaningful benefits.
Markie likes this.
Old Jun 4, 18, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I would imagine top tiers would move up to the new level.

What will it garner, really. I would imagine the only perk would be guaranteed Business / First Class lounge access.

I guess, to look at OW with their extra tier. What does the top tier get on 'other' airlines. I cannot imagine upgrades would be much easier on your non home airline

Last edited by lcohen999; Jun 4, 18 at 1:13 pm
Old Jun 4, 18, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
Let me guess - airlines like Lufthansa would still find it within themselves to deny +1PC on Light fares to the new exalted status of *D!
And rightly so. You wouldn't want hordes of people on cheap fares clogging up the FCT/L
Old Jun 4, 18, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
I guess, to look at OW with their extra tier. What does the top tier get on 'other' airlines. I cannot imagine upgrades would be much easier on your non home airline
The big one is unfettered access to First Class lounges (and check-in) where offered when travelling on an alliance flight.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jun 5, 18, 2:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, SkyPesos, AAdvantage, MR
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
And rightly so. You wouldn't want hordes of people on cheap fares clogging up the FCT/L
... Not what was stated. LH's ridiculous bag policies towards Elites is what's being discussed.
Old Jun 5, 18, 2:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was at the event in Sydney where this was floated. You can see the exact comments from Mr. Joh about launching a new top tier here.

My read is that there is discussion but nothing particularly firm.
Old Jun 5, 18, 10:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Oneworld has 3 tiers and the only difference between Top and Middle (I always find that the *A Gold is more equal to the Oneworld Sapphire) is Fast-Track Security, First Class Check-in, First Class Lounges. The Premier *A members won't even give access to their really good First Class Lounges for First Class customers on other metal (LH F Terminal in Frankfurt, Singapore Airlines). So don't see how open they would be to providing this to "Diamond" members or whatever it would be called. And with UA going Polaris they've now limited the Polaris Lounge access to Business Class, *A Gold don't have access. Even with that people complain about space limitation in the relatively few Polaris Lounges.

If this happens I see UA Gold members getting the shaft. Certain it would be something like GS = "Diamond", 1K = "Patinum", Platinum = "Gold", and Gold would get screwed - probably lounge access removed. Could also see Platinum members getting screwed as well, which would be super annoying as a 2MM flyer. But then again I pretty much won't book an international flight that is not in F or C and I don't see any of the status trumping having an F or C ticket.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 3:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
New *A top tier & dynamic *A awards?

Here is something we can speculate on:
https://blog.wandr.me/2018/06/star-a...-new-top-tier/

Apparently they are developing middleware between the *A carrier's systems to allow dynamic award pricing - that could have it's ups and downs I suppose. Not all bad, who knows, maybe even SQ premium cabin access?

And they teased about a new *A top tier, above gold - but what benefits would it bring? Would they just take benefits from *G?

Moderator - move this to *A forum if you think appropriate

Last edited by sabbasolo; Jun 6, 18 at 3:08 am Reason: moderator common
Old Jun 6, 18, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...el-coming.html and Star Alliance considering new status tiers tiers above gold.
Old Jun 6, 18, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I would imagine the only way that the top tier members would be given access to the LH/SQ high end products is if its HON/GS/PPS, not platinum/1K.

Search this Thread