Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

website change - must now select fare class before fare displayed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan

I haven't been to the AC website to book tickets for a while, but one used to be able to see all of the fares available by flight. Now I am being forced to select a fare class before any fares are displayed (this is a multi-city route). I really object to this - it used to be a great feature to see all of the available fares on one screen and thus make decisions about which type to take, easy.

Is this very recent? Is there any workaround? Otherwise I will be forced to enter the same routing multiple times especially if I want to see different fare types on the outbound and inbound flights.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yayoye
I haven't been to the AC website to book tickets for a while, but one used to be able to see all of the fares available by flight. Now I am being forced to select a fare class before any fares are displayed (this is a multi-city route). I really object to this - it used to be a great feature to see all of the available fares on one screen and thus make decisions about which type to take, easy.

Is this very recent? Is there any workaround? Otherwise I will be forced to enter the same routing multiple times especially if I want to see different fare types on the outbound and inbound flights.
Sorry, can you be more clear? What is it exactly you're doing for your multi-city booking? (which cities and which cabin(s)?)

Yes, there have been some changes to the workflow, but not for all steps. Some "older forms" are used within some of the workflow.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
Well now I'm really confused:

Started by going to www.aircanada.com - entered a multi city itinerary YYZ to BGI with return FLL to YYZ
On the same line as number of passengers, there was a third box "Fare Type". At first I ignored that box but could not get any fares displayed without selecting a class. Then the first leg showed up without a fare, I selected it anyway and then the second leg came up and finally displayed the total price.

I subsequently went to see what would happen with a straightforward "return" trip - YYZ to BGI - the third box asking for fare type did not appear and I could see all fares.
Went back to home page and re-entered multi-city trip as before and was able to see all the fare types. So a glitch? Hopefully because I don't want to pick my fare type on the first screen.

BTW - my previous multi city trip was booked on the website last month and it worked then as expected (YYZ to EZE with return of SCL to YYZ)

Last edited by yayoye; May 23, 2018 at 2:06 pm Reason: type
Old May 23, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not new. For multi-city, there are always been two situations depending upon the itinerary. For more complex ones, the web site asks for a choice of fare first.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yayoye
Well now I'm really confused:

Started by going to www.aircanada.com - entered a multi city itinerary YYZ to BGI with return FLL to YYZ
On the same line as number of passengers, there was a third box "Fare Type". At first I ignored that box but could not get any fares displayed without selecting a class. Then the first leg showed up without a fare, I selected it anyway and then the second leg came up and finally displayed the total price.

I subsequently went to see what would happen with a straightforward "return" trip - YYZ to BGI - the third box asking for fare type did not appear and I could see all fares.
Went back to home page and re-entered multi-city trip as before and was able to see all the fare types. So a glitch? Hopefully because I don't want to pick my fare type on the first screen.

BTW - my previous multi city trip was booked on the website last month and it worked then as expected (YYZ to EZE with return of SCL to YYZ)
From your description, multi-city bookings have been similar to that for awhile now.
Since NA fares are all considered "one-way", the multi-city tool will treat it like a regular booking.

But when the booking is more complicated (fare construction most likely required), the multi-city booking requires some additional information before you can continue.

So in your case, you need to see the fare rules for your YYZBGI FLLYYZ multi-city. When these two segments are combined, what are the limitations (are BGI and FLL considered in the same "zone")? IIRC, a similar question came up before here on FT and it had something to do with the combination. So something tells me you can't mix cabins on this multi-city booking like you can with a simple round trip YYZBGIYYZ or YYZFLLYYZ, for example.

Added: I would say the multi-city tool has actually "improved" from past iterations. Now when you book a simple round trip as two one ways with the multi-city tool, it is smart enough to treat it as a round trip workflow and go through that normal flow. In the past, it would have treated it as two multi-city one ways in the workflow.

Last edited by yyznomad; May 23, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Can no longer see return options for NA itinerary on the same page. Very irritating. Have to select outbound fare/flight before getting return options. More time consuming.
DNAwizard likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Can no longer see return options for NA itinerary on the same page. Very irritating. Have to select outbound fare/flight before getting return options. More time consuming.
I don't remember it working any other way when using multi-city.

For some multi-city itineraries, I can see the the fares for all fare classes for my first leg, and then it'd take me to the next page to select the same for the 2nd leg and so on. I could pick, for example, a latitude fare for one leg and a flex fare for another leg.

For others, I'd have to select all my flights before being presented with a total fare. I don't see the break down of each fare by leg, and I can't combine different fare classes in one itinerary.

Lately though, for the multi-city itineraries I've built, I've been able to see and select different fare classes and know the cost, per leg.
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: 50K
The website was for more efficient early 2016 compared to now. Webdesign as a whole has taken a turn for the worse that being said. W'eve supplemented ease of use and efficiency for pretty pop ups and colorful images.
quantumofforce likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.