Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada safety culture sincerely worries me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada safety culture sincerely worries me

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 9:58 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Once the NTSB report has been and issued (along with any other similar reports from the Canadian TSB), Air Canada will have a golden opportunity to begin restoring confidence among some of its clients. I would be disappointed if the Chief Pilot (at least) didn't speak about exactly what Air Canada was going to do to address any concerns raised by this, and other, 'incidents'.

Time will tell if this opportunity is either embraced or squandered.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Fiordland
As far as safety, United has its problem. Despite being responsible for the safety of its passengers, one of them was dragged off the aircraft all injured recently by security guards that airline called in. Even today, there is some story about a "out of control" stewardess. Sept, 20 there some near miss with a glider on a YVR-ORD flight. In February, they had an engine cover fall off one of their aircraft. In April there was some type of emergency landing at Dover airbase.

Being on the outside it is hard to tell how much of this stuff is safety protocols and culture and how much of it is luck. Either way I would be happier if the people involved could openly discuss it and improve the process without concern for what the public reads into it.
These are not incidents involving pilots making mistakes let alone one that would have been one of the worst in aviation history. Quite frankly I would have expected the opposite - far more incidents with UA than on Air Canada, but here we are.

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
SFO is difficult because of the approach that is most commonly used is called a "slam dunk approach" which is considered to be challenging. ATC is not very well rated there either (believe there was only 1 controller in the tower when the AC incident happened).
What fascinates me the most here is that these AC pilots tend to have significantly more time in type and flying time than many pilots, say at US regional carriers and yet this incident still happened. I remember reading a section in the NTSB article whereby AC once required pilots to land at one three major airports (for testing reasons) because it was more challenging and then even that restriction was removed.
Symmetre and jashsu like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Sopwith
With all of the above being said, you still have a far greater chance of dieing in a motor vehicle accident on the way to the airport than in any type of aircraft accident.
That doesn't mean that all airlines have equal safety records though. There is still risk that can be mitigated in an airline by a good safety /fatigue management program.
princeville likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:20 am
Suspended

As the buying public has demanded lower and lower prices and LCCs and now even ULCCs (Ultral Low Cost Carriers) have risen to meet that demand, mainline carriers have found themselves between a rock and a hard place. As anyone who even understands 'Business 101' should know, the equation between income, cost and profit must balance.

If the consumer demands lower seat prices, either costs must be cut or profit must be cut. Since any company is in business to make profits and you take away their ability to increase price, you can expect them to cut costs before cutting profit.

If blame is to be attached to potential safety issues, then the blame must be attached to the buying public. A sensible person would say, 'I want as low a price as possible, but not at the cost of sacrificing safety'. Instead, the public says, 'You want $100 more to fly me transatlantic, nope, I'll fly with the LCCs.' The public ignores everything in favour of price alone. The people get what the people deserve.

Unless and until the public wakes up to this reality, air travel will continue on it's downward path.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
As the buying public has demanded lower and lower prices and LCCs and now even ULCCs (Ultral Low Cost Carriers) have risen to meet that demand, mainline carriers have found themselves between a rock and a hard place. As anyone who even understands 'Business 101' should know, the equation between income, cost and profit must balance.

If the consumer demands lower seat prices, either costs must be cut or profit must be cut. Since any company is in business to make profits and you take away their ability to increase price, you can expect them to cut costs before cutting profit.

If blame is to be attached to potential safety issues, then the blame must be attached to the buying public. A sensible person would say, 'I want as low a price as possible, but not at the cost of sacrificing safety'. Instead, the public says, 'You want $100 more to fly me transatlantic, nope, I'll fly with the LCCs.' The public ignores everything in favour of price alone. The people get what the people deserve.

Unless and until the public wakes up to this reality, air travel will continue on it's downward path.
While I do agree to some extent, I don't think I need to remind parties here that the incident in question occurred while two Air Canada mainline pilots were on the flight deck operating this flight. There are plenty of regional carriers, and LCCs in the United States that routinely fly into and out of SFO. While the Colgan air incident was tragic, that didn't really surprise me for a whole variety of rhetorical reasons.

Quite frankly if regional carriers don't have issues at SFO then I would suspect there is more to the story here with respect to Air Canada here. I don't expect a mainline flag carrier, despite the demands by customers to fly for cheaper and cheaper yearly, to be having these issues.

I also don't need to remind people there is about half of the aircraft that isn't that price conscious. There is a solid 1/4 of real estate on certain aircraft whereby flights into and out of SFO are high yield high margin customers - although that is a bit beside the point.
jashsu likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I would take these interview summaries with a grain of salt. They exercise is intended to be retrospective and it should cause staff to second-guess what happened in the past to find ways of improving going forward. I suspect if the same things were done at united your would have similar results. It is also an airline with a pretty big mix of older and newer aircraft some from multiple mergers. AC has its A320 legacy fleet, United has its 757 fleet.

As far as safety, United has its problem. Despite being responsible for the safety of its passengers, one of them was dragged off the aircraft all injured recently by security guards that airline called in. Even today, there is some story about a "out of control" stewardess. Sept, 20 there some near miss with a glider on a YVR-ORD flight. In February, they had an engine cover fall off one of their aircraft. In April there was some type of emergency landing at Dover airbase.

Being on the outside it is hard to tell how much of this stuff is safety protocols and culture and how much of it is luck. Either way I would be happier if the people involved could openly discuss it and improve the process without concern for what the public reads into it.
I agree United clearly has its operational problems - which is why I made the "even United" comparison. But you have to admit there is a world of difference between behavioral incidents involving a flight attendants and multiple safety incidents including aircraft attempting to land on crowded taxiways or missing the runway altogether. How an AC plane can land on a runway at SFO after being told SIX TIMES to go around - and even having a safety flare shot at it - is simply mind boggling. "Radio trouble" didn't seem to be an issue after the pilot landed and in fact radioed the tower.

Given that AC is having such incidents repeatedly while other airlines are not clearly says there's a problem. Perhaps AC's emphasis on cost-cutting has gone too far. Hopefully the TSB will reset its priorities before people are killed. Clearly, that change won't come from within the airline. Calin's bonus is too important.
jashsu and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Symmetre
By comparison even United, operating a fleet three times the size of AC's and handling nearly four times the passenger volume, has had zero such incidents over the same period. Why is AC's safety record so much worse?
Seems United management might disagree with you...
https://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/25/p...ing/index.html
https://abcnews.go.com/US/united-air...ry?id=29237744
Old May 6, 2018, 10:55 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by The Lev
So, anyone seen a similar warning to flight crew sent out by Air Canada?
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
So, anyone seen a similar warning to flight crew sent out by Air Canada?
No and not only that, this is some relevant information to the SFO incident which is on page 48 of the NTSB article.

"He was aware of the SFO event. It happened while he was on vacation. He saw an incident reported by flight dispatch on Sunday evening about a go-around and that the pilots had lined up with the wrong runway. Then, he saw an email from the A320 chief pilot, he thought, on Sunday night stating that the crew needed to be held out of service while they investigated it. On Monday, he started becoming aware of reports on the news about the event.
He first thought it was a go-around and that it had lined up on the wrong runway which he felt was a concern but the gravity of the concern was not known until Monday when he got to work. He also was becoming aware of increasing seriousness of the event when he saw the email from the chief pilot that the crew needed to be held out of service.
Later Monday he heard from colleagues, and in the media, that there was more to it than first suspected Monday afternoon, the chief pilot debriefed him on the crew interview."

(bolding is mine above)

Above taken from: -Interview from "Captain Musselman was represented by Ms. Louise Hélene Senecal – Litigation Counsel Air Canada Airlines
He is the senior director of fleet and standards which was also known as the chief pilot. He has been in his current position for 3 years in the upcoming September (2017)."

While the above quote only references the SFO incident, it doesn't appear to me that there has been strong notices sent by the executive pilots who oversee their linemen. As per The Lev, United seems to have caught onto an issue only to step in and ream hell against their pilots (hyperbole). AC doesn't appear to be on top of their game, again, these are simply allegations based on my perusal of the NTSB report from the SFO incident and I could very well be wrong.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Hopefully the TSB will reset its priorities before people are killed.
We need to make a distinction between the TSB and TC (Transport Canada). TC is the regulator, the TSB's mandate is to advance safety through conducting investigations of occurances. The role of the TSB is not to assign blame. TSB mandate: Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Mandate

I've been more involved in the rail side, their incident reports are always interesting to read. As an aside, they have asked for CVR and in-cab video in locomotives for years.
Air investigation reports: Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Aviation reports
Rail investigation reports: Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Rail reports
Bohemian1 and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:33 pm

The primary purpose of an airline is to fly people safely from point A to point B. If it can't do that (profitably or otherwise) it shouldn't be in the business. One would hardly argue that a restaurant has a right to exist if it keeps poisoning its "cheap" clientele.

It's a moot point anyway. AC has been declaring record profits recently, and there seems to be a fair bit of regulatory capture going on in Canada (see the graph on crew duty hours versus time of day - even the likes of India are more serious about this stuff).

AC's already benefitting from weaker crew fatigue regulation than most countries. Pinning the blame on consumers is very silly in this context. At some point, it's inevitably going to be less about consumer cheapness and more about feckless corporate greed.
jashsu and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Canada has one of the most lax laws in place governing pilot fatigue.This video referenced AC SFO's incident but it can be said it's pervasive on all of Air Canada operations.

This bit was taken from the NTSB article and it pertains directly to Air Canada staffing levels.

==
When asked if Air Canada had learned anything from the Transport Canada working group on fatigue, he responded that they had modified their shift pairings to consider circadian shift and accommodate sleep wake cycles. They have since started having less than 18 hours of rest or more than 30 hours of rest. They have done studies on the YYZ to Narita flights. They have considered the augmentation. If over 9 hours there will be 3 pilots, if over 14 hours of duty or if the flight is to land after 3am there may be 4 pilots. Going to Narita, for the 8 months of peak season, they staff 4 pilots both ways. For the rest of the year they staff 3 pilots on the way there and 4 on the way back. They collected data after this change and received less fatigue reports on that line. --
Old May 6, 2018, 1:07 pm

If blame is to be attached to potential safety issues, then the blame must be attached to the buying public.
No. It doesn't matter if an airline is ULCC or first class seats only, they all are required to follow the same laws and regulations.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
We need to make a distinction between the TSB and TC (Transport Canada). TC is the regulator, the TSB's mandate is to advance safety through conducting investigations of occurances. The role of the TSB is not to assign blame. TSB mandate: Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Mandate

I've been more involved in the rail side, their incident reports are always interesting to read. As an aside, they have asked for CVR and in-cab video in locomotives for years.
Air investigation reports: Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Aviation reports
Rail investigation reports: Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Rail reports
Ah ... thank you for the clarification.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
At least they acknowledge they have a problem and are doing something about it.

The only thing AC only seems to recognize or do anything about is enhancing executive bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.