Search

Air Canada to Add a New MLL at YXE

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Air Canada to Add a New MLL at YXE

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...681358211.html

Makes sense given how long YQR's had one.

Air Canada today announced it will open a Maple Leaf Lounge at Saskatoon's John G. Diefenbaker International Airport this fall. It will be the airline's 17th Maple Leaf Lounge in Canada, and construction is currently underway.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:31 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
It would be really nice if it was open by June for one of my periodic trips to the homeland.

But I'm guessing "later this year" means we'll be waiting till the snow flies.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
That is great news ! Hopefully it will be bigger and have more amenities than Regina's MLL.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
It would be really nice if it was open by June for one of my periodic trips to the homeland.

But I'm guessing "later this year" means we'll be waiting till the snow flies.
Well, according to this thread it was supposed to open late last year so later in 2018 seems more likely.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by YoYUL
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...681358211.html

Makes sense given how long YQR's had one.
If it ends up being anything like the YQR lounge I fail to see the point. That lounge is so small and claustrophobic that it’s unpleasant to be in. It’s generally filled to the gills around flight times, making it much more pleasant to be out in the terminal. Do we need a bigger one? Likely not, but definitely it’s not a model to replicate. Hopefully, the YXE one will be nicer!
Old May 1, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Back of the bus
It's regina and saskatoon. Armpit #1 and Armpit #2 of Canada.

It's big enough given the amount of flights / flyers, and small enough to keep the people who think it should be the centre of the universe in check.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...senger_traffic

#1 4 and #1 5 respectively... even Kelowna outranks them.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can YSB MLL be far behind??
Old May 1, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
[QUOTE=jazzsax;29703214]It's regina and saskatoon. Armpit #1 and Armpit #2 of Canada.

Wow, that is not very nice to refer to the good people of Saskatchewan ! Every city has its charm, I don't live in either but visit both often.
gspurr likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: Back of the bus
[QUOTE=Sunny Day;29703372]
Originally Posted by jazzsax
It's regina and saskatoon. Armpit #1 and Armpit #2 of Canada.

Wow, that is not very nice to refer to the good people of Saskatchewan ! Every city has its charm, I don't live in either but visit both often.
LOL. Unless you were born there, it's basically a place you avoid. Kind of like your ex's.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:24 am

Exclamation

Let's leave the city slurs for the forum lounge thread and focus on the topic at hand.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
gspurr likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by arf04

If it ends up being anything like the YQR lounge I fail to see the point. That lounge is so small and claustrophobic that it’s unpleasant to be in. It’s generally filled to the gills around flight times, making it much more pleasant to be out in the terminal. Do we need a bigger one? Likely not, but definitely it’s not a model to replicate. Hopefully, the YXE one will be nicer!
I know the original YXE floor plan that was floated around when they were expanding the terminal had an airline lounge for the area across from Gate 4. Basically the are that is occupied by the Starbucks that is only open a few hours each morning. That is an ideal location for a lounge, it does not take away from any of the seating near the gate, if they build the walls correctly it has its own washrooms. It would have a glass wall overlooking the pre-security area.

I am surprised they said Gate 5 in the press release. That is a weird place for it.

Since Saskatoon is known word-wide as the Paris of the Parries, and it has that new art gallery that the new York times has been describing as one of the top art destinations in the world I am certain the lounge will get a lot of use.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Finally! I feel like this has been in the works for years! That said, I still don't see the need (same with YQR). Could this just be an attempt by AC to protect their FFs from moving over to Westjet? I find it interesting that Westjet seems to dominate YQR/YXE-Alberta, whereas AC dominates YQR/YXE-Ontario. Maybe AC will expand routes from YXE?
Old May 1, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acysb87
Can YSB MLL be far behind??
I think 'far behind' is the key part.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:09 am

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...693235961.html

SASKATOON, Sept. 14, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today unveiled its newest Maple Leaf Lounge at Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport (Skyxe). The lounge seats up to 40 customers in an elegant space that showcases Canadian design and art, including work by two Saskatchewan artists, Shawn Evans and Holly Friesen.

"We are excited to welcome Air Canada and Star Alliance eligible customers to our new Maple Leaf Lounge at Skyxe, which has been created to enhance the overall travel experience for our premium customers," said Andrew Yiu, Vice President, Product at Air Canada. "Showcasing contemporary Canadian design and artwork, and drawing on the pastoral landscape of Saskatchewan, the lounge is decorated with maple wood screen walls, Canadian-made furnishings and Canadian materials. Customers will be warmly received and enjoy a calm environment in which to work or relax before an Air Canada or Air Canada Express flight."

"Skyxe is thrilled to welcome a new Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge at Saskatoon Airport," said Stephen Maybury, President and CEO of Skyxe Saskatoon Airport. "This highly anticipated new lounge experience strongly complements our existing modern, comfortable and guest centric service offerings."

"The award winning Skyxe continues to modernize and welcome the world to our city. The trusted brand of the Maple Leaf Lounge is a fantastic addition to what we offer here in our growing prairie community. Thank you to Air Canada for your commitment to Saskatoon," said Saskatoon Mayor Charlie Clark.

"As one of Canada's fastest growing metropolitan centers, the opening of an Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge in Saskatoon speaks to the continued interest to invest in our city and confirms Saskatoon as a top destination in Canada," said Darla Lindbjerg, CEO of the Greater SaskatoonChamber of Commerce.

"With a sharp increase in arrivals into Saskatoon and strong projections for National and International travel, having a Maple Leaf Lounge at our award-winning John G. Diefenbaker International Airport is very exciting. Being able to offer visitors who are eligible customers an added amenity, will only add to their positive experience in Saskatoon," said Todd Brandt, President and CEO of Tourism Saskatoon.

The 137-square-metre lounge features such amenities as a full-service bar offering a wide selection of beverages, including Canadian wines and specialty coffees, a self-serve buffet area and comfortable seating with a view of the tarmac. Business travellers planning to work on site may also take advantage of the cyber counter equipped with PCs and colour printing, complimentary Wi-Fi and access to a large variety of digital newspaper and magazine content via the PressReader app.

The Skyxe Maple Leaf Lounge will operate seven days a week, and is conveniently located in the departure gate area, steps away from Air Canada's departure gates.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Pic of the place:

https://prnewswire2-a.akamaihd.net/p.../100011/type/1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.