Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Extra Letter in Surname INTERNATIONAL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra Letter in Surname INTERNATIONAL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Extra Letter in Surname INTERNATIONAL

Hi all,

I apologize if I am not posting this in the correct forum. My mother and her sister recently purchased airline tickets to visit me in Italy. There was a mistake made when booking - their surname begins with Mac (how they've spelled it their entire lives without issue but apparently doesn't match birth certificates) however, their passports spell it Mc omitting the 'A'. The reservations were mistakenly made using the 'Mac' spelling and because they were purchased via FlightHub (huge mistake - they know this now!) the airlines are unable to help and FH is unwilling to. The first two flights are operated by Air Canada and the last by Alitalia. Countless hours have been spent on the phone trying to rectify this issue to no avail. Notes have been put on their files (OSI NCC?) and the APIS data has been entered to match the MC spelling on the passports. They (hopefully) fly on Thursday; can anyone offer any advice or similar experience?

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by dolcevita902
Hi all,

I apologize if I am not posting this in the correct forum. My mother and her sister recently purchased airline tickets to visit me in Italy. There was a mistake made when booking - their surname begins with Mac (how they've spelled it their entire lives without issue but apparently doesn't match birth certificates) however, their passports spell it Mc omitting the 'A'. The reservations were mistakenly made using the 'Mac' spelling and because they were purchased via FlightHub (huge mistake - they know this now!) the airlines are unable to help and FH is unwilling to. The first two flights are operated by Air Canada and the last by Alitalia. Countless hours have been spent on the phone trying to rectify this issue to no avail. Notes have been put on their files (OSI NCC?) and the APIS data has been entered to match the MC spelling on the passports. They (hopefully) fly on Thursday; can anyone offer any advice or similar experience?

Thanks
This becomes easier once the reservation is out of the hands of the travel agent and under control of the airport staff.

When you check in, the check in agent needs to adjust the ticket in the Air Canada system. It is such a small change that no one is going to suggest it is a different person, however it appears to be very important to the airline that it matches so their employees will type away for a few minutes and the problem will then go away in the Air Canada system. They will then print you new boarding passes. If it is not caught at check in, the agent at the gate will likely do the correction.

My guess, is the check in agent with Alitalia will likely need to do the same thing.

I would not be to worried about it. WestJet, (AC competitor in Canada), starts most of their boarding announcements with "If your ID and boarding pass don't match exactly, please come up and we will fix the boarding pass."....
Bohemian1 and tcook052 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:45 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Fiordland
This becomes easier once the reservation is out of the hands of the travel agent and under control of the airport staff.

When you check in, the check in agent needs to adjust the ticket in the Air Canada system. It is such a small change that no one is going to suggest it is a different person, however it appears to be very important to the airline that it matches so their employees will type away for a few minutes and the problem will then go away in the Air Canada system. They will then print you new boarding passes. If it is not caught at check in, the agent at the gate will likely do the correction.
Good advice. One of my colleagues went through exactly the same thing and, after many phone calls with our TA and AC, the check-in folks took care of it in about 10 minutes. Get there early, explain your story and they should be able to get it sorted.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
As for Alitalia, I used to fly them quite often a few years ago, with a one letter mismatch between my passport / credit card / boarding pass (difference between Italian and rest of the world spelling that is impossible to correct on official documents). Nobody every noticed or asked. This was a letter substitution, not an extra letter though.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
As for Alitalia, I used to fly them quite often a few years ago, with a one letter mismatch between my passport / credit card / boarding pass (difference between Italian and rest of the world spelling that is impossible to correct on official documents). Nobody every noticed or asked. This was a letter substitution, not an extra letter though.
The Italian alphabet has only 24 letters. ;-)
--
13F
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
The Italian alphabet has only 24 letters. ;-)
--
13F
Both my letters exist in the Italian alphabet. The problem is the Italian penchant for translating names on official documents - a widespread practice 3-4 decades ago.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I would recommend getting it fixed before flying.

A couple of years ago, I made a typo on my mother-in-law's name on a ticket that was YYZ-(AC)-YVR-(MF)-XMN.
Instead of writing her first name as XYZ, I entered XaYZ.
In Toronto, check-in with AC took a while, but they let her board.
However, in YVR, she was denied boarding by MF.
It ended up being a very costly error.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My personal view is that hardly anyone will notice it. Getting these things fixed after the ticket is issued is usually impossible/expensive. Either have it done at the airport or don't bother at all. There are so many transliteration to the Latin alphabet mistakes made that hardly anyone notices.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There are so many transliteration to the Latin alphabet mistakes made that hardly anyone notices.
Its not the likeliness that someone notices, or that someone cares, its the cost when someone does, and does.

I hear that several/many/all actual border services have the official policy that allows corrections to obvious typos, mistakes, and transliteration choices, but I also hear "I work at the airport, and you're wrong".
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by RangerNS; Apr 3, 2018 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:56 pm

I would try to change it no matter what

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.