Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC safety video- humorously offensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC safety video- humorously offensive?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Smile AC safety video- humorously offensive?

I've been wondering this for a while. Mostly a joke, but after watching the video for the hundredth time I thought I'd ask here... is the AC safety video softly racist?
it is funny how:

1. White man in suit in J
2. White women in suit in J
3. All ethnicities (Asian, black, brown) in Y
4. Gays (I presume...) in Y

Just a random thought. I know the easy answer is that the average J passenger is the white guy in the suit and an Indian grandma will almost certainly be in Y .... but still.

Also what's up with the constant message of heavier items below the seat in front of you and lighter items in the overhead???

The United video the other hand is pretty good for a safety video and retains my attention more than AC!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Gimme a sec... gotta go get popcorn from Walmart.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Also what's up with the constant message of heavier items below the seat in front of you and lighter items in the overhead???
Since you brought it up, I am outraged that the lobster had to go under the seat in front but the bagels get to go in the overhead bin.

I often wonder about that part of the video where the words do not match the visual. Clearly all those carry-ons in the OH bin are much heavier than the lobster, so, if heavier items are supposed to under the seat in front, why does the visual show them in the bin?

Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
/me Looking around for a 10' pole. Nope. Fresh out.

not going near this one!
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've definitely seen a lot of people joke about who goes to J and who goes to Y in the video, for the exact same reasons.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ridefar

not going near this one!
Focus on the bagels. Forget the pole.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The OLCI web page also says heavy below, light above, and we all click it, and do the opposite.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Focus on the bagels. Forget the pole.
I try to ignore the stuffed beaver (for those easily offended, please see the video to see that there is actually a stuffed beaver in the overhead bin)
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I try to ignore the stuffed beaver (for those easily offended, please see the video to see that there is actually a stuffed beaver in the overhead bin)
Oh of course it had to be you that mentioned stuffed beavers when I went out of my way to avoid doing so.

Still, I think that hockey helmet might weigh more than the lobster as well.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
Since you brought it up, I am outraged that the lobster had to go under the seat in front but the bagels get to go in the overhead bin.

I often wonder about that part of the video where the words do not match the visual. Clearly all those carry-ons in the OH bin are much heavier than the lobster, so, if heavier items are supposed to under the seat in front, why does the visual show them in the bin?....
You have to understand AC is the responsible, animal loving Star Alliance partner in North America.

United demonstrated why puppies and lobsters should not be stored in the overhead bin.
awayIgo and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland

United demonstrated why puppies and lobsters should not be stored in the overhead bin.
Not sure that's really true though. At least as far as air is concerned. About the dog, main issue may have been emotional rather than anything. But OTOH the breed in question has respiratory issues, not good to bring them on a plane in the firat place. <obster would not be affected by either.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Why do they torment people not in YHZ with lobster, and people in YHZ with 787's?
marke190 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ridefar

not going near this one!
Suddenly remembering South Park S01E06 entitled Death. Mr. Garrison, Chef, and Jesus all avoided a touchy subject in the same way.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Place..."heavier items under the seat in front of you". Then the woman places her handbag underneath the seat. Read into it as you wish.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
As a tall, fat, brown guy who typically rocks the homeless look when traveling (only J or PY because of the aforementioned tallness/fatness), I feel under represented in the safety video.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.