Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Paid for a preferred seat but boarding pass shows zone 4 (instead of 3)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Paid for a preferred seat but boarding pass shows zone 4 (instead of 3)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Paid for a preferred seat but boarding pass shows zone 4 (instead of 3)?

Hello,

I am not a frequent flyer and do not have status but would have appreciated the possibility of not having to gate check my bags by beating the zone 4s that board after the zone 1/2s on the transborder flight (E75 jet).

However, after purchasing a preferred seat while doing an online check-in on the Air Canada app, my boarding pass still shows zone 4. This is the second time this has happened and Air Canada says there is nothing they can do about it... Is this an app glitch or am I missing something?!

TIA
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html makes it clear that "Preferred Seats purchased through an agent at the check-in counter or at the gate are not eligible for early Zone 3 boarding."

That might well be because an IT limitation, but its pretty clearly spelled out.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by RangerNS
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html makes it clear that "Preferred Seats purchased through an agent at the check-in counter or at the gate are not eligible for early Zone 3 boarding."

That might well be because an IT limitation, but its pretty clearly spelled out.
Doesn't sound like that applies to the OP, no? He purchased it via the AC app, not an agent or at the gate.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by nbbb
Doesn't sound like that applies to the OP, no? He purchased it via the AC app, not an agent or at the gate.
But the Preferred seat was purchased during check-in. Although the wording says "with an agent at check-in" I'd guess the intent is just "at check-in"
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
But the Preferred seat was purchased during check-in. Although the wording says "with an agent at check-in" I'd guess the intent is just "at check-in"
I did misread the page when I found it. But I would agree that this is (one of AC's errors).
so:

a) There is some technical bug (omission) that prevents it from happening on the airport systems
b) When app check-in was implemented their was no CI to update all their printed/copied rules.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

I guess I will board with the rest of the zone 4s then... Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:38 am

On a recent I itinerary, I purchased preferred seats (exit row) after TA issued ticket (client does not pay for seat selection). Online check-in provided zone 4. I asked the lounge agent about this. She very adamantly stated ("I work at the airport") that it has always been that way, since seats are in the front of the aircraft, they will always be zone 4 or 5. The return flight was correctly assigned zone 3.

I chalk it up to an IT fail. First flight was 7M8, maybe they don't have zones assigned correctly, or the fact that I changed the seat on that flight a few days after purchase when exit row became available.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I suppose it is IT fail. The agents at the gate insisted that it is normal for those closer to the front of the plane to board last... I specifically showed them their own website's policy and they said there was nothing they could do. Go figure all zone 4s had to gate check their bags...
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by an1030
Yeah I suppose it is IT fail. The agents at the gate insisted that it is normal for those closer to the front of the plane to board last... I specifically showed them their own website's policy and they said there was nothing they could do. Go figure all zone 4s had to gate check their bags...
Wait what, all Z4 and thereby Z5 had to gate check? Thats 2/3 of Y (if one believes AC, I could swear half Y is Zone 5). Almost 60% of the plane???
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94

Wait what, all Z4 and thereby Z5 had to gate check? Thats 2/3 of Y (if one believes AC, I could swear half Y is Zone 5). Almost 60% of the plane???
Express has no zone 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.