Wiki Posts
Search

Transborder Connection Time YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Transborder Connection Time YYZ

Hi all,
Just looking to get some advice in regards to a transit time for transborder in YYZ. Wife is going YHZ-YYZ-MSP with AC in May. One option she is being given leaves her with a 1h12m connection time. She has Nexus but does not have any status. Any thoughts on the connection time? It seems doable with her Nexus. Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Is there a later YYZ-MSP flight if things do go wrong, or would she need to wait a day? Is her travel time sensitive, meaning will she miss an important meeting or event if the doesn't make the connection? Sometimes it is better to think about consequences of a misconnect than the likelihood.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:11 am
jtr

Programs: AC E50K, HH Diamond
Definitely doable with Nexus -- obviously could become very tight very quickly with any delays. Status doesn't change the speed you go through USCBP.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I think with Nexus, it can be done (if you walk reasonably quickly) in 20-25 minutes, assuming you are in J and not the back of the bus (which could add 10-15 min). My tip would be to *not* use the transfer lines, but just to exit to landslide and use the normal Nexus security area for passengers originating in Toronto. The transfer line does not have a Nexus security screening alternative, and it can occasionally be quite slow. Not usually, but I find it much faster just to exit airside and start again as if originating in YYZ for transborder transfers. So with the caveat of unless this is a life or death event that she absolutely cannot afford to miss, I think there is lots of time in the proposed itinerary.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I've never seen the transfer line having NEXUS only scanning, but there is a NEXUS/priority line to jump ahead if they are at all busy.

I think there are only two AC flights daily, but there are re-connection options with UA through Chicago. I don't know if a non-status, non-IROPs misconnect would entitle rebooking on another airline, though. Probs no.

Again, it depends on how tight the meeting in MSP is. If the next flight out of YYZ still gets one there in time, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I've never seen the transfer line having NEXUS only scanning, but there is a NEXUS/priority line to jump ahead if they are at all busy.
There is, but sometimes it is closed, with only the regular line being open. And closed during the middle of the day, when the regular line is full too. So it seems to be closed more or less randomly, like the precheck line at EWR.

Last edited by ridefar; Mar 20, 2018 at 10:47 am Reason: additional clarity
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by smallmj
Is there a later YYZ-MSP flight if things do go wrong, or would she need to wait a day? Is her travel time sensitive, meaning will she miss an important meeting or event if the doesn't make the connection? Sometimes it is better to think about consequences of a misconnect than the likelihood.
This is the key. I've got a 1h15m connection coming up at YUL because it was that or 4 hours. I'm not massively concerned however as there are about 4 more flights that day, I'm in J, and it's a Saturday with no critical plans for Sunday. If however you have a tight connection for a once or last daily flight where getting in causes major problems ... I would be more concerned.

Originally Posted by mbritter
Hi all,
Just looking to get some advice in regards to a transit time for transborder in YYZ. Wife is going YHZ-YYZ-MSP with AC in May. One option she is being given leaves her with a 1h12m connection time. She has Nexus but does not have any status. Any thoughts on the connection time? It seems doable with her Nexus. Thanks!
When in May? Early or late? While YYZ doesn't tend to suffer snow and poor weather in May, YHZ is more susceptible (however it doesn't tend to collapse under the same conditions that cause YYZ chaos). As long as you aren't significantly delayed, back of the bus, able to get the YYZ-MSP BP in YHZ (certainly should be able to) and able (and willing) to physically to walk fast/run should be fine.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input! She has decided to go with her original 1h connection time. If she runs into any issues it isn't a big deal if she is not there later that day.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mbritter
Hi all,
it's doable. I had YUL-YYZ-SAN. YUL-YYZ got canceled and rebooked on the next one with illegal MCT because i did't want to reroute to west coast and arrived much later at night instead of lunch time. (no checked bag) despite plane arrived late, i've managed to board just before closing. I asked help after using the APC to bypass the line to the front to see an officer to drop the custom receipt. all under 20 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.