Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ-GRU Loads are completely full in J and PY and full / oversold in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

AC must be doing quite well on this route. Both my outbound and return flights were / are completely full in J and PY and full / oversold in Y. Very small sample size of course, but anecdotal checks of some surrounding dates suggest this is fairly representative.

Can't think of the last time I wasn't able to upgrade to J in either direction on an int'l trip.

(Though to be fair, the outbound had 1 seat open in J at check-in, but AC was offering bid upgrades prior to and last-minute upgrades at check-in, so I never cleared despite being #1 on the list.)

Last edited by capedreamer; Mar 15, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:57 pm

Brazil liberalized their visa rules for Canadians in January. It's vastly simpler to obtain an e-visa now and by their own estimates they anticipate a 25% increase in inbound tourism. Possible factor... but as you say, it's a small sample.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:07 pm

Any idea how much of the load is connecting onwards to other AC Int'l services? Lots of people heading to the Int'l connections desk?

If AC keeps this up, maybe they won't need to park any widebodies in response to falling Canadian demand due to the housing-market led recession that's probably shortly to be upon us.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz
Any idea how much of the load is connecting onwards to other AC Int'l services? Lots of people heading to the Int'l connections desk?

If AC keeps this up, maybe they won't need to park any widebodies in response to falling Canadian demand due to the housing-market led recession that's probably shortly to be upon us.
I would take that predicted recession with a grain of salt. Not that it would hurt us, rather, cheaper airfres would be nice.

But yes it is quite possible that people from Brazil would rather transfer in Canada than in the US. Especially now that some visa requirements apparently were relaxed.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I haven't flown this route in over two years now but when I used to fly it the J cabins were always full. If you didn't book at least two weeks out you were almost certainly sitting in the back, especially during parts of the year when it was a 763 route (and had the smaller J cabin than the 777-300 they normally used). Those flights seemed to sell out with paying J customers on a regular basis, which makes sense given GRU is a major business center.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I haven't flown this route in over two years now but when I used to fly it the J cabins were always full. If you didn't book at least two weeks out you were almost certainly sitting in the back, especially during parts of the year when it was a 763 route (and had the smaller J cabin than the 777-300 they normally used). Those flights seemed to sell out with paying J customers on a regular basis, which makes sense given GRU is a major business center.
Yeah...the route is currently being served by a 789, while GIG (a city half the size and less of a business centre) is served by a 773. Seems like GRU should also be handled by a 773.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Yeah...the route is currently being served by a 789, while GIG (a city half the size and less of a business centre) is served by a 773. Seems like GRU should also be handled by a 773.
??

AC hasn’t served GIG for over a year, and when they did it was with a 763.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by pitz
I've been thinking that for 14 years now .
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
It's one flight per day from the business capital of Canada, to the business capital of Brasil.

Toronto also has the largest Brasilian population in Canada. Many of whom cannot (or will not want to) enter the US legally.

No one goes to GRU for tourism, so the new visa is irrelevant.

I don't think a full flight is unexpected or unusual. When I flew this route it was always full.

Last edited by KDS777; Mar 16, 2018 at 8:55 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Brazil liberalized their visa rules for Canadians in January. It's vastly simpler to obtain an e-visa now and by their own estimates they anticipate a 25% increase in inbound tourism. Possible factor... but as you say, it's a small sample.
What a brilliant idea for an economy that was struggling mightily huh?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYZC2
I believe that was reciprocity for Canada changing rules for Brazilians.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

??

AC hasn’t served GIG for over a year, and when they did it was with a 763.
Oops! Guess I’m crazy. I must have been looking at a connecting option via another South American gateway. Nevermind me!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

The waitlist for the full J (30 seats in total) is now at 14 and counting...
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC MM+
J is filled with Sunday-Thursdays or Monday-Friday returns. I'm one of them. We'd rather be home in Canada on the weekends than spend them in Brazil. That's why those days are booked tight. The loss of the AC GIG route and the United GIG route after the Olympics also created a large hole in seat capacity. And no, I won't fly through the US to get there, not an option. Many, many Americans from NY state fly up, then get on the AC Dreamliner to get there. Better hard product than United or Delta for that route.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Looks like number 1 cleared. Better hope someone doesn't show up.

YBYL. If you don't absolutely need the bin space, board last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.