Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New J in A333 by autumn?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

New J in A333 by autumn?

Anyone know what the schedule for A333 refurbishment is? Any chance they will have new J by October?
Yeah, I know ..
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K
There hasn’t even been an official announcement that this is happening.

short answer: doubtful.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: TK *G
If existing A330s are getting new J, then this is interesting. They would be going over 2 refurbish under 2 years.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by songsc
If existing A330s are getting new J, then this is interesting. They would be going over 2 refurbish under 2 years.
All that’s happened to A330s was ripping out some J seats and installing PY and more Y seats. I would call that a cabin reconfiguration, not a refurbish. With AC acquiring more A330s, a refurbishment to the same J, PY, and Y standard as the 777/787 fleet makes sense.
songsc likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294
Anyone know what the schedule for A333 refurbishment is? Any chance they will have new J by October?
Yeah, I know ..
Any refurbishment is unlikely to happen during the summer months, when AC needs all their planes flying, so I wouldn't expect new J by fall.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I remember reading the A330s were in fact getting a new J cabin, or was it the 767s? I'm not entirely sure but I do know that one of these aircrafts were getting the new J pods.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I remember reading the A330s were in fact getting a new J cabin, or was it the 767s? I'm not entirely sure but I do know that one of these aircrafts were getting the new J pods.
Definitely not the 763.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
nope not the 330's. Until AC finds some "new to the fleet" 330's i doubt anything will happen. So look for news late 2018 IF the planes get new seats.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flybit
nope not the 330's. Until AC finds some "new to the fleet" 330's i doubt anything will happen. So look for news late 2018 IF the planes get new seats.
Perhaps you haven't been keeping up with the news. AC has announced that they are procuring more 333s next year. And our resident SD has reported that word is the existing 333s will get the new cabin "towards 2019"; whether this means late 2018, early 2019 or a combination thereof was unclear. There's a whole thread on the new 333s here:

AC purchasing more A330s in 2019
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Perhaps you haven't been keeping up with the news. AC has announced that they are procuring more 333s next year. And our resident SD has reported that word is the existing 333s will get the new cabin "towards 2019"; whether this means late 2018, early 2019 or a combination thereof was unclear. There's a whole thread on the new 333s here:

AC purchasing more A330s in 2019
No i am aware AC is trying to buy/lease some gently used 330's "Until AC finds some "new to the fleet" 330's i doubt anything will happen"
When they find these planes then they will decide how to renovate the 330's.

heheheh Rouge might be part of the conversion, after all its AC they dont know what they want to do till its done.

Last edited by flybit; Mar 16, 2018 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
No i am aware AC is trying to buy/lease some gently used 330's "Until AC finds some "new to the fleet" 330's i doubt anything will happen"
When they find these planes then they will decide how to renovate the 330's.
They wouldn't have publicly announced that they were bringing the planes in to the fleet next year if they hadn't already sourced them. Remember, this is not people speculating on PPRuNe or whatever, or even an offhand remark from an executive that they're looking at potentially adding 330s, this is AC telling the world, via investor materials, that they are acquiring four leased 333s.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
They wouldn't have publicly announced that they were bringing the planes in to the fleet next year if they hadn't already sourced them. Remember, this is not people speculating on PPRuNe or whatever, or even an offhand remark from an executive that they're looking at potentially adding 330s, this is AC telling the world, via investor materials, that they are acquiring four leased 333s.
a lot of things can change between now and 2019.

interesting Canada Jetlines just found out how difficult it is to lease planes. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle38287172/
seems they even paid the deposits.
Canada Jetlines said it paid security deposits of US$100,000 in September on each of two Boeing 737s it leased and payments of another US$1-million were due by March 1.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:54 pm

a lot of things can change between now and 2019.

interesting Canada Jetlines just found out how difficult it is to lease planes. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle38287172/
seems they even paid the deposits.
Canada Jetlines said it paid security deposits of US$100,000 in September on each of two Boeing 737s it leased and payments of another US$1-million were due by March 1.
You're comparing a major, established airline with plenty of long-term relationships with lessors with a sketchy bargain-basement start-up outfit trying to secure its first two planes. Which of those do you think (a) has more credibility when it says it is going to have aircraft by a certain date and (b) has more bargaining power with lessors to make sure it gets what it wants?

The answer to (a) should be obvious and with regards to (b), as a finance guy, and one who used to finance airlines, I can tell you that Jetlines is going to be at the bottom of the pile for a lessor. Let's say that were me.

Startup airlines in Canada have a terrible track record and there's a good chance they would be defaulting on their leases at some point, leaving me out money and needing to place the planes with a new customer. Maybe with shoddy maintenance. The used aircraft market is pretty good and I likely have many other customers with established businesses and decent credit. It looks like Jetlines' lessor got a better deal elsewhere and threw them under the bus. I would have done the same.

On the other hand, AC is one of the largest airlines in the world, profitable and probably a company I already do business with or would like to. I would have a high degree of confidence that I would get my payments and that my plane would be well maintained. AC is the type of customer that a lessor would dump Jetlines for.

So if AC says it's going to have four new leased 333s in 2019, I'd say the likelihood of that coming to pass is extremely high.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 19, 2018 at 1:17 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Guessing you will not see any refurbishment until the end of the Summer Schedule which is the end of October 2018 as the 330 routes in question are generally full. Heavy maintenance often occurs in November when the loads start to dip.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much folks! Oh well. I guess I'll have to live with the old pods for our fall trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.