Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more AeroPlan Miles with ESSO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
No more AeroPlan Miles with ESSO

Just received an email that effective May 31, 2018 Esso will no longer issue Aeroplan Miles!

Bummer, so I guess its Petro Canada or whoever is convenient as you will still get 1.5 with AP VISA or 2 X with AMEX gold!

Too bad I buy a lot of ESSO gas and stuff, no longer now.
Brendan and closecover like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Just received an email that effective May 31, 2018 Esso will no longer issue Aeroplan Miles!

Bummer, so I guess its Petro Canada or whoever is convenient as you will still get 1.5 with AP VISA or 2 X with AMEX gold!

Interesting. I take a detour on my way home to use Esso, but no longer from June.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC

If that's your strategy you might as well switch to Shell and get 1.5x with the AP Visa or 2x with the AX Gold because then'd you get the ever so valuable air miles.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Is this going to be a trend as we get closer to AC AP divorce? Looks like I won't need to go to esso every tank anymore starting June
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Petro-Can is far less busy than Esso, is on correct side of street and NOT connected to a Tim Hortons ^
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

Petro Canada has that link feature with the RBC Visa cards, that takes 3 c/l off the price and automatically ties the visa card to your "Petro Rewards" card and the "More Rewards" cards. The only fuel company I know that is doing the pump discount plus double dipping int two different loyalty programs.
Brendan and Symmetre like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Well I guess that's it for me and Esso...
I used to collect Esso Points so I can transfer it to RBC Rewards but then they cut ties, so I still used it because of AP and I take Premium Gas so I get 3x the points.

Lately I've been transitioning to Petro Canada... 20% more points with CAA, 20% more with RBC Visa and 20% more Petro Points with 3c/l discount.

I still have my TD AP Visa but will be cancelling it soon.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here goes a convenient way to extend the Aeroplan miles for those of us who dont live in Canada. Bummer.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:01 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, but I always got less mileage out of ESSO gas. I used them for the occasional lottery ticket, but beyond that, I stayed away from their gas...

Ah well, guess I need to find another backup to earning points for AP (until corp decides to completely kill off the FFP from corp travel)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I don't know about the rest of you, but I always got less mileage out of ESSO gas. I used them for the occasional lottery ticket, but beyond that, I stayed away from their gas...

Ah well, guess I need to find another backup to earning points for AP (until corp decides to completely kill off the FFP from corp travel)
Carrot app. I get about 100 points a month. Don’t think it’s available everywhere mind ... I do know I installed it at home in ON and have earnt points while abroad though.

Not sure why I still bother given I’ve burnt most of my points but there’s always a chance I’ll get a Tango fare that’ll allow me to go up to a level where I can purchase a toaster or smt.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:50 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I can't complain about Esso. The stations are usually very clean. However, this is another sign of Aeroplan's slow demise. A partner being dropped with no new ones added; only enhanced ones with a variety of occasional bonuses.

Time to burn!
Brendan and Absolute like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Just received the email myself. Buying gas @ Esso was my primary method of keeping the AE account alive. Guess I'll just need to finish draining the account now.
YYC traveler likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Carrot app. I get about 100 points a month. Don’t think it’s available everywhere mind ... I do know I installed it at home in ON and have earnt points while abroad though.

Not sure why I still bother given I’ve burnt most of my points but there’s always a chance I’ll get a Tango fare that’ll allow me to go up to a level where I can purchase a toaster or smt.
I have the Carrot app installed however I'm using that to earn Scene points. Was great on my last trip to SIN. Helped me to get to 20k steps for every day I was there. Sadly I'm not doing 20k every day anymore, but still....
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
because then'd you get the ever so valuable air miles.
i often wonder if people realize that you only get one ever so valuable Air Mile PER VISIT. You can spend $100 on gas and you get one stinking air mile. (Unless there's a bonus.)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
No more need to fill my tank in multiples of $3.00.
Will need to practices math skills elsewhere now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.