Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How will AC respond to Norwegian if they enter the Canadian market?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will AC respond to Norwegian if they enter the Canadian market?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:03 pm

For Norwegian to truly be cheaper you basically need to take advantage of their promo fares which are priced at Ryanair levels. If you book them 'normally', you'll quickly find they're actually a bit more expensive than the competition once you add even a few basic extras.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
One area where I welcome head-to-head competition between AC and ULCCs, even if I'll never actually fly on said ULCC, is one-way pricing. AC has shown that they'll switch to one-way pricing when a direct competitor does it (e.g. WS to LGW) so Norwegian may be able to bring us some much-needed relief in this area.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC*S100K MM, Carlson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by eigenvector
One area where I welcome head-to-head competition between AC and ULCCs, even if I'll never actually fly on said ULCC, is one-way pricing. AC has shown that they'll switch to one-way pricing when a direct competitor does it (e.g. WS to LGW) so Norwegian may be able to bring us some much-needed relief in this area.
Agreed. I don't have a first-hand experience with DY, but my partner ended up flying them JFK-LGW in their premium cabin and I was involved in the decision-making process. The cost of a OW ticket (ca. $600 booked about a week before departure) was a fraction of any of the legacy carriers who continue to insist on RT pricing for TATL travel (+ Sat night stay rule). The feedback that I got was that the seat was comfortable (for a 5h45 journey), service was friendly and attentive, and flying direct vs via YYZ on AC outweighed any other lost benefits (e.g. flat bed).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: TK *G
How are WOW and Icelandair doing? I doubt Norwegian will be too much different.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2018-a-36

"The applicant indicates that it intends to commence commercial activities in Canada on July 23, 2018, and that it is in the process of obtaining a Canadian aviation document from Transport Canada, which is required to complete the licence application."

How will you respond?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:47 am

Norwegian may have an inferior product and just skim a few passengers away, but the bigger concern is how much its arrival could pull down yields across the Atlantic if AC has to lower fares to compete.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drgmobile
Norwegian may have an inferior product and just skim a few passengers away, but the bigger concern is how much its arrival could pull down yields across the Atlantic if AC has to lower fares to compete.
I would not be surprised if AC fares were already low enough... Or they can introduce Y- also to international destinations.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by vernonc
Rouge + basic economy fares. Match made in hell.
lol the 737 will be taking over many of the Rouge 767 flights, hell has expanded to AC.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I'd still like to know how exactly is a Norwegian 787 inferior in Y comfort to the Air Canada Y experience?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I'd still like to know how exactly is a Norwegian 787 inferior in Y comfort to the Air Canada Y experience?
I never said it was. I've never tried the Y product on either carrier's 787. Plenty of previous posters were suggesting that Air Canada has nothing to worry about because Norwegian's offering is not as good -- for whatever reason. My point is that this is largely irrelevant. Canadian carriers don't need to lose any passengers to be negatively impacted by the entrance of new LCC/ULCC competition if they have to lower fares to respond.

Last edited by drgmobile; Mar 8, 2018 at 10:23 am
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Canadian carriers don't need to lose any passengers to be negatively impacted by the entrance of new LCC/ULCC competition if they have to lower fares to respond.
And Air Canada certainly has a history of below cost undercutting prices on routes where competition appears, just to drive them out, and then to raise prices again.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Canadian carriers don't need to lose any passengers to be negatively impacted by the entrance of new LCC/ULCC competition if they have to lower fares to respond.
why? Air Canada has been using its duopoly position to cheat Canadians for years, why dont you want AC to have competition to offer a better more competitive product to us?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
How will you respond?
By not purchasing these type of no frills fares.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 12, 2018 at 8:33 am Reason: off topic
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
It looks like Norwegian has a seat pitch of 31-32" on their 789s, which is 1" more than AC has in Y. So does that make Norwegian more comfortable than AC?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by flybit
why? Air Canada has been using its duopoly position to cheat Canadians for years, why dont you want AC to have competition to offer a better more competitive product to us?
I don't know where you are getting that from in what I said. Again, the original suggestion was that Canadian carriers had nothing to worry about from the entry of these carriers because not many customers would opt for the ULCC product. I disagree with this assertion. Even if very few passengers are lost to the new carriers, the incumbent airlines would be negatively impacted by fares being lowered to compete.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing would depend on one's perspective. I'm not passing judgement either way. Consumers in markets where they feel fares are too high will surely be pleased. Others who are content with the service they receive may be less pleased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.