Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How will AC respond to Norwegian if they enter the Canadian market?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2018-a-36

"The applicant indicates that it intends to commence commercial activities in Canada on July 23, 2018, and that it is in the process of obtaining a Canadian aviation document from Transport Canada, which is required to complete the licence application."

Last edited by Cloud Lounger; Mar 6, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
By expanding Basic Economy to international routes where they go head-to-head.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
lcohen999, songsc and YVR72 like this.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Mar 6, 2018 at 7:45 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I have looked at flying Norwegian and the pricing isn't that spectacular once you add in the extras. Sorry to say, but in respect to the Asian and longer distance routes I expect that AC has Norwegian beat on the "premium" economy option on the airfares . The baggage limit of 20Kg isn't impressive. And based upon what I see with regular Y, AC still has Norwegian beat. In respect to short jumps to Europe, whatever cost savings there are will be offset by the hassle of having to route via a Norwegian hub. As of now, the schedules and frequencies suck big time.
I don' t think that these low cost carriers like Norwegian, Wow etc, are going to make much of a dent in the AC market. I expect the real competition will come from West Jet. If any airline will take a hit it will be Air Transat.
YOWCDNFF likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
It doesn't look like Norwegian has a true international J cabin. Can't really find pics on their website but googling shows their J cabin looks like ACs PY. I don't think Norwegian is really going to take much from the AC market. More direct competition with WJ than AC.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Norwegian only offers PY & Y, no J. They also have low frequency and a dismal OTP on longhaul, with delays sometimes stretching for days. No interline agreements either, so you’ll have to wait it out. Within Europe they’re ok.

Their financials make scary reading, too, so if I was Air Canada I’d sit back, relax and eat popcorn.
j_the_p likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:26 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Norwegian only offers PY & Y, no J. They also have low frequency and a dismal OTP on longhaul, with delays sometimes stretching for days. No interline agreements either, so you’ll have to wait it out. Within Europe they’re ok.

Their financials make scary reading, too, so if I was Air Canada I’d sit back, relax and eat popcorn.
Scary doesn't quite cover it. They are abysmal.

NAS.NO Financial Statements - Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA - Wall Street Journal

But so were Jetsgo's and look at what happened to both AC and WS when they were in the market.

Norwegian can operate from anywhere in the EU, and seem intent on doing so, as well as everywhere else on the planet, (EZE-PER-SIN anyone?) so don't assume that you'll be flying through Oslo.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
DY is pretty good within Europe. The free wifi is a nice touch for those of us who aren't rich/don't fly OPM
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by pewpew
DY is pretty good within Europe. The free wifi is a nice touch for those of us who aren't rich/don't fly OPM
I doubt they will make a dent in the OPM AC loyalist crowd (ie. most of this forum) - but having choice never hurt the average consumer. Just like I'll probably never fly WOW or Primera, there are plenty of people who do and appreciate having that as a choice.
flybit likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:17 am

Another airline for stupid people.

Buy what they think is a deal, they pay extra for seats, luggage, and more.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Another airline for stupid people.

Buy what they think is a deal, they pay extra for seats, luggage, and more.
So exactly like buying an AC tango Y fare...
But with more legroom.
Jumper Jack, flybit and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi

so dismal OTP, AC is the worst in North America.?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...-airlines.aspx

Last edited by flybit; Mar 7, 2018 at 7:57 am Reason: add link.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:25 am

Add Hainan to the list of those in a questionable financial position.https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/b...employees.htmlHope Canadian suppliers are getting money up front from these guys.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Rouge + basic economy fares. Match made in hell.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Rouge + basic economy fares. Match made in hell.
People will love it... :-(

(Actually if you live near Providence and need to go to BGO, works quite well apparently. So says a relative.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.