Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend J-vacation Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Weekend J-vacation Suggestions

What are some good suggestions in EU or Asia ex-YYZ for a 3-4 day wkend getaway (i.e., Victoria Day). I was thinking of stopping by Tokyo for the wkend, but the flight times are really not nice. Ideally I want a location where I can hop on a plane on Thursday night, sleep through it, wakeup at a destination, have fun for the wkend, hop on a plane on Monday night, come back and start work on the next business day.

Any suggestions!? Thanks!!!

Edit, places I've been to and not interested include:
TPE, HKG, LHR, FCO, FRA, MUC, CDG, BRU (basically all western EU).

Last edited by phdtraveller; Mar 4, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by phdtraveller
What are some good suggestions in EU or Asia ex-YYZ for a 3-4 day wkend getaway (i.e., Victoria Day). I was thinking of stopping by Tokyo for the wkend, but the flight times are really not nice. Ideally I want a location where I can hop on a plane on Thursday night, sleep through it, wakeup at a destination, have fun for the wkend, hop on a plane on Monday night, come back and start work on the next business day.

Any suggestions!? Thanks!!!
Well you can take either of the afternoon or early evening m flights YYZ LHR getting in 6:30/8:30am then fly back on the 6pm getting in the same evening.

Now that’s great if you want to spend time in London. If you want to go hiking or something there are far better locations.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm doing just that with LHR for August long weekend. From YYZ, you'd have more options given more AC direct flights and the timing of the European flights should be generally fairly good, although for many of them you won't have much time on Monday morning before you have to catch your flight. If you're really looking to maximize that time on the ground, LHR and FRA I think are the only places that have departures after 5PM back to Canada.

If you're okay with Monday being mostly a write-off, and potentially taking a connection somewhere, it opens up a lot more options. FCO, ARN, CDG, etc...
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94

Well you can take either of the afternoon or early evening m flights YYZ LHR getting in 6:30/8:30am then fly back on the 6pm getting in the same evening.

Now that’s great if you want to spend time in London. If you want to go hiking or something there are far better locations.
Ah, I shoulda been more specific. I've been to London / Paris before, not too exciting for me. What about other EU cities like Scandinavia or Eastern Europe, are there flights that are doable for this?

And yes I do like hiking, too bad Australia / NZ is too far and no direct flights... I am guessing this means there's no Asia flights that make a wkend getaway easy?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm doing just that with LHR for August long weekend. From YYZ, you'd have more options given more AC direct flights and the timing of the European flights should be generally fairly good, although for many of them you won't have much time on Monday morning before you have to catch your flight. If you're really looking to maximize that time on the ground, LHR and FRA I think are the only places that have departures after 5PM back to Canada.

If you're okay with Monday being mostly a write-off, and potentially taking a connection somewhere, it opens up a lot more options. FCO, ARN, CDG, etc...
Good suggestions! I should have been more specific, but I've been to FCO, ARN and CDG : (

I'm going to try and look for connections to Scandinavia and Eastern EU. Or maybe even Iceland!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
How about Switzerland? Luzern is beautiful. Direct flight to ZRH, 1.5-hour train ride from the airport and you're there.

VIE is a fun place. Direct from YYZ is on OS, not sure whether that matters to you.

Anyway, there are tons of great places to spend a few days.

I guess the bigger question is, are you trying to do this on points or are you paying out of pocket? If the former, your options will likely be severely limited by inventory, especially if you're not SE with IKK.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
How about Switzerland? Luzern is beautiful. Direct flight to ZRH, 1.5-hour train ride from the airport and you're there.

VIE is a fun place. Direct from YYZ is on OS, not sure whether that matters to you.

Anyway, there are tons of great places to spend a few days.

I guess the bigger question is, are you trying to do this on points or are you paying out of pocket? If the former, your options will likely be severely limited by inventory, especially if you're not SE with IKK.
Ah, excellent suggestion. I've only briefly been to Switzerland and its so beautiful I definitely want to back! I am paying out of pocket, I definitely don't have enough points or SE. And direct flight to ZRH sounds good. Let me check the flight times.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:02 pm

As for Asia, I think most of those flights leave around the middle of the day (late morning/early afternoon), so might not work well with your timing. Keep in mind also that you'll spend a lot more time in transit just due to the distance (12-15 hours on a lot of those TPACs from YYZ, I think, vs 9 or less on most European ones, if you're going direct).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I'd skip EU/Asia and go somewhere warm for such a short trip. Even LAX with the pods! GCM isn't rogued and I highly recommend it there.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I'd skip EU/Asia and go somewhere warm for such a short trip. Even LAX with the pods! GCM isn't rogued and I highly recommend it there.
I would think that by late May getting away somewhere warm is less of a concern, but up to the OP, really.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA, AC
I've been thinking about these types of trips myself to burn through about 2 million aeroplan miles. How about Amsterdam? Or fly into one European city then take a scenic train trip to another city and fly back from that city.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Singapore.

I did a weekend trip there last year, and it was great. I flew there in J on AC via HKG, and then on UA from HKG->SIN. Singapore is a great city; it's warm & exotic, there's great transit, good food, cool sites to see, and I had a blast.

Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
South America. Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago are all fun. Limits the time change as well.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:41 am

Also late night departure on LOT to Warsaw ex-YYZ and departs Warsaw ~5pm returning so maximizes your time. Pretty fun and cheap city for a long weekend with interesting history and museums. LOT business class is quiet solid and usually can be had at good prices in advance.

Also Vienna on their respective hub carrier. Go see an opera or concert.

Istanbul on TK. Great city for a long weekend - but the distance limits time on ground before turn around. Add an extra day.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
"have fun for the wkend"

Might help if you provide some insight into what this means to you. Art galleries/museums are fascinating to some - boring to others. To some, a lively bar/pub scene makes for good fun whereas for others it has to be clubs. Are you a foodie or is the need to eat just another annoying necessity. Live music? Active pursuits? Architecture? Parks? Pool lounging? We all have our own version of "fun for the wkend".
smallmj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.