Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada announces plans to retire E190 fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada announces plans to retire E190 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
Bye 19A/F.
Exactly.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
While I avoid AC if I can, I do lament the removal of the Embraer aircraft. They were both comfortable and quiet in J, as well as Y.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
It will be interesting to see what aircraft type we see on YOW-YYZ once the E90 fleet is fully retired and the A319 eventually redeployed. Although I expect it to still be mostly jets, competition is primarily DH4 on this route. Wondering if we may eventually see more CR9/E75 instead with 7M8 operating peak hours flights
Looking ahead to the fall schedule (not sure when the redeployment / retirement starts) YYZ-YOW is all A319 with a couple of 320’s and the usual 767 mixed in. So looks like they pretty much just directly subbed the 319 for the E90’s
Simon and YOWCDNFF like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:19 pm

Loved the J single seats on short hall. Are they selling/leasing E190s to another carrier?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Remember that AC isn't just dumping the E90s early, they're also AC keeping 319s longer than originally planned to cover for the E90s.. This likely results in a capacity increase given 120 seats vs 97, unless AC runs the 319s on fewer flights. On a few routes, maybe AC could chop a daily flight to make up for it, but in a lot of cases, I suspect that's difficult. For instance, are 3x daily YYC/YEG-YOWs going to become 2?
The math I get is (25*97) - (18*120) assuming a perfect swap of the 18 A319's quoted in their fleet for the 25 E90s. So a slight capacity decrease, although Rouging (which adds 18 seats) would fill the seat gap completely. Wasn't there another thread......

And yeah shouldn't be a problem on those routes you quote, as the alternative is a YYZ connection. YXE/YQR-YYZ is also easily frequency-trimmed. YYZ-LGA. Etc.

As for selling the E90s, is the market really that good for them?
Probably better than it will be after a 20-25% more fuel efficient C-Series has been on the market for a while. A lot like the A340, great plane for AC at the time, but the case was extremely compelling to dump them quickly after the 777-300ER could capably fly the same missions.

Last edited by pitz; Feb 24, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I'll be honest, I love the E90 in J because it's a single seat in J, and more comfortable IMO than the CR9/CRA's singles as it has the cloth seats compared to the old beige leather(although the reupholstered blue leather is pretty decent). The seats, the space and the overall ride of the Airbus narrow-bodies are definitely more comfortable, but having direct window and aisle is a privilege for someone like me. I love looking out the window for take off, landing, taxi, take pics etc. but I rarely get this opportunity as I'm usually in a 2/2 J seat, and I refuse to sit window EVER in these as I like being able to grab stuff from overhead, go to bathroom and such without bothering my sleeping neighbor, or worse, someone working on their laptop.

One thing I won't miss(I know it's been a while), is E90 cutting one FA and SD having to run back and forth. I felt bad for SD's as they were so busy and it did impact service levels on some flights...

I'm also one of those guys that like the back seat of J so I don't have to recline into anyone, so I think it's a personality thing with not disturbing others(and I know, I'm entitled to recline wherever and ask Aisle pax to move if sitting window ETC).

I'll miss the E90 for sure. Really excited for the CS as I got to fly it on Swiss and it made me proud to be Canadian!
unclepants likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pitz
The math I get is (25*97) - (18*120) assuming a perfect swap of the 18 A319's quoted in their fleet for the 25 E90s. So a slight capacity decrease, although Rouging (which adds 18 seats) would fill the seat gap completely. Wasn't there another thread......

And yeah shouldn't be a problem on those routes you quote, as the alternative is a YYZ connection. YXE/YQR-YYZ is also easily frequency-trimmed. YYZ-LGA. Etc.
If you're looking at it on a fleet basis, it's more nuanced as the 319s are also leaving the fleet, gradually, and 7M8s are being brought in that effectively replace both 319s and E90s.

Obviously for routes with a lot of flights like YYZ-YOW, YYZ-LGA, it's easy to play with capacity and replace, say, 2 E90 flights with 1x E75 and 1x 319 or something like that, but my comment was really on the thinner routes that have seemed to be a big focus for the E90 since they started to disappear; AB-YOW, YYZ-PDX, the recent upgauding of YYZ-IAH to E90s from CRAs/E75s, etc... where you either replace with a substantial upgauge or you have to dramatically alter the frequency.

Probably better than it will be after a 20-25% more fuel efficient C-Series has been on the market for a while. A lot like the A340, great plane for AC at the time, but the case was extremely compelling to dump them quickly after the 777-300ER could capably fly the same missions.
A good argument in theory, but Boeing has had a nightmare moving the trade-ins it took from AC, AC is dumping its E90s earlier than planned and the CSeries has been available for a long time. That, to me, says the market for those things isn't great. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I think we'll see some frequency cuts on a lot of routes.

For example, it was only a year ago or so that AC cut out all E90s on YQR-YYZ for a while. We went from 4xE90 to 3xA319/20. That meant that ex. YQR, you had departures that were early morning, mid-morning, and then nothing until evening. Now they're back to 4xE90, but once they leave, I think we'll see a cut.

I've even noticed the move to reduce frequency on YEG-YYC. AC is replacing the DH3s with Q400s. Nice idea, but they've drastically cut frequency as a result. From 18 to 12 or so flights a day. In the morning for example, you have nothing between 6.50 and 9.25 ex. YEG. Not exactly handy for business travellers. Meanwhile, WJ keeps increasing frequency to fill the gaps (7.30 and 8.30 departures).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
With the official retirement announced, I am wondering around how well these will be maintained on a go forward basis. Not referring to anything impacting security - but more around cabin comfort...

Flew on Fin 314 last week which is pretty banged up. 3 J seats were inop, with one folded in half and lots of duct tape could be seen in some areas. Today, some issues with the latches to keep the trolleys in place, so took a delay and maintenance didn"t actually fix it, Gate Gourmet had to come to move trolleys around.

Maybe just a string of bad luck - but curious nonetheless
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Probably bad luck. AC will be in the E190 business until they aren't. When an E190 is scheduled to be on a flight, the system expects X number of seats on that flight.

I don't know how far down to the bones AC strips things when they put old planes out to pasture, but it is conceivable that they might take one or two of the e190 fleet as hangar queens for stuff like seat and galley parts during the last few months of service. But I would fully expect the aircraft in service to be fully in service.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Probably bad luck. AC will be in the E190 business until they aren't. When an E190 is scheduled to be on a flight, the system expects X number of seats on that flight.

I don't know how far down to the bones AC strips things when they put old planes out to pasture, but it is conceivable that they might take one or two of the e190 fleet as hangar queens for stuff like seat and galley parts during the last few months of service. But I would fully expect the aircraft in service to be fully in service.
I think there plan is to sell these aircraft off to the highest bidder. That would probably make a good case for continued maintenance.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think there plan is to sell these aircraft off to the highest bidder. That would probably make a good case for continued maintenance.
The planes will undoubtedly be properly maintained with respect to any critical systems or long-life items.

But interiors have a limited shelf life and the buyer will likely install its own, so things like upholstery and power outlets may be left unfixed.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting that the E75 are staying at the regionals though. With a nice J/Y cabin ratio, now with the fourth row.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC 75K
As a resident of YXE and a frequent user of these aircraft, I too am very disappointed to see them go. J very comfortable indeed, and the best Y configuration in the AC fleet. I was never unhappy to fly one of them in Y, and I don't think I can say that about any other AC aircraft any more! I too expect a reduction in frequency on YXE-YYZ as a result. Interestingly enough I am flying that route in about a month and my flight is currently on an A319, which I assume is some sort of anomaly.

YXEG
unclepants and dinotoon like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:00 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I was just on one of these yesterday out of snowy YXE. Other than the small bins (not really an issue if flying in J), J is quite comfortable.

But like @SKYEG, I look forward to seeing some CS love as I too have flown it on Swiss and really liked it, especially in J.
knotseh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.